Felger in Molori's column

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoodie

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
A few interesting thoughts from Felger

http://www.bostonsportsmedia.com/blitz/

As the draft approaches, Felger points to corner, linebacker, safety, receiver, tackle and kicker as the Pats’ areas of need. He says that it would take more than one sub-.500 season for the Patriots to feel any serious media backlash and his thoughts on Belichick and the press are candid.
“He owes the media nothing. I am not one of those reporters who have a problem with the way he handles us. His job is to win games, not give us stories. He doesn't owe us his time or the truth, although he'll still give you plenty of both from time to time if you show up and listen.â€

Hoodie said:
A few interesting thoughts from Felger

http://www.bostonsportsmedia.com/blitz/

As the draft approaches, Felger points to corner, linebacker, safety, receiver, tackle and kicker as the Pats’ areas of need. He says that it would take more than one sub-.500 season for the Patriots to feel any serious media backlash and his thoughts on Belichick and the press are candid.
“He owes the media nothing. I am not one of those reporters who have a problem with the way he handles us. His job is to win games, not give us stories. He doesn't owe us his time or the truth, although he'll still give you plenty of both from time to time if you show up and listen.â€

Jeez, that last comment wouldn't be a dig @ Borges?:rolleyes:

I've often wondered if the reason Bogus, Cafardo, Mannix et. al, dislike BB so much is kind of an old school/new school thing. They liked the old way of doing things and resent BB for making their jobs harder. Younger reporters such as Felger, Reiss, Soloman etc. don't seem to have the same issues with him.

I swear if I hear Cafardo and Bogus whine about "he doesn't respect us, he lies to us etc." my head will explode. It's a very good thing these guys don't cover politics where reporters are lied to ALL THE TIME.

Hoodie said:
I've often wondered if the reason Bogus, Cafardo, Mannix et. al, dislike BB so much is kind of an old school/new school thing. They liked the old way of doing things and resent BB for making their jobs harder. Younger reporters such as Felger, Reiss, Soloman etc. don't seem to have the same issues with him.

I swear if I hear Cafardo and Bogus whine about "he doesn't respect us, he lies to us etc." my head will explode. It's a very good thing these guys don't cover politics where reporters are lied to ALL THE TIME.

Journalists careers are made by access. By denying them access, BB affects their wallet and reputation around the country. Look at McClain in Houston, or Gosselin in Dallas etc. These guys are well-regarded nation wide because they get scoop from their hometown teams and others... No "insider" books for Borges and Cafardo, no authorized biographies, no draft scoops, etc. BB chose the upstart Holley over all of them, and they will never forgive him. BB is forcing the local journalist to educate themselves on football and report the real game to the "new" fan-base. The writers don't want to do that work- they want to stick with puff pieces and personality cults, the easy way out.

PonyExpress said:
Journalists careers are made by access. By denying them access, BB affects their wallet and reputation around the country. Look at McClain in Houston, or Gosselin in Dallas etc. These guys are well-regarded nation wide because they get scoop from their hometown teams and others... No "insider" books for Borges and Cafardo, no authorized biographies, no draft scoops, etc. BB chose the upstart Holley over all of them, and they will never forgive him. BB is forcing the local journalist to educate themselves on football and report the real game to the "new" fan-base. The writers don't want to do that work- they want to stick with puff pieces and personality cults, the easy way out.

Holly took the initiative and approached the Pats. He even took a year off from the newspaper. He actually went out and found the work. I'm sure if one of those crusty old bastards had come up with the same idea (before they started slamming him), BB would have done the same thing for them.

Willie55 said:
Holly took the initiative and approached the Pats. He even took a year off from the newspaper. He actually went out and found the work. I'm sure if one of those crusty old bastards had come up with the same idea (before they started slamming him), BB would have done the same thing for them.

True... I'm sure BB had all the local writers scouted when he arrived. I bet he separated the wheat from the chaff real quick. He appreciated and rewarded Holly's initiative and it was smack in the face to the old media blowhards... But I still wish that book was longer and more detailed.

Hear Hear. And well said.

I think part of the problem is the legacy of the "sainted" Mr. William McDonut. He thought the Sport's world really needed the innovation and reality of the news reporting of Photoplay and Variety. McDonut wanted to be the new Hedda Hopper spreading "inside dirt" like they do in the Hollyweird fan mags.

As dean of the globe's sports department, He instructed a whole generation of sports reporters, that the delicicious details of Coach-player irritation, or FO/GM vs Coach versus Oowner disiputes, that contract negotiation details were things that every football fan just ached to know like nubile 16 year old female, movie-star worshipers.

It also removed the need to know anything about the Xs and Os that McDonut knew absolutely nothing about, and was too stupid and lazy to learn.

He cultivated Bill Parcells of new York foir inside dirt hoppin g to move to the Globes' owner the prwtigious NYT where he could hobnob withthe real celebrities in the Big Apple. What a total clod... But this is the consequences...

AzPatsFan said:
Hear Hear. And well said.

I think part of the problem is the legacy of the "sainted" Mr. William McDonut. He thought the Sport's world really needed the innovation and reality of the news reporting of Photoplay and Variety. McDonut wanted to be the new Hedda Hopper spreading "inside dirt" like they do in the Hollyweird fan mags.

As dean of the globe's sports department, He instructed a whole generation of sports reporters, that the delicicious details of Coach-player irritation, or FO/GM vs Coach versus Oowner disiputes, that contract negotiation details were things that every football fan just ached to know like nubile 16 year old female, movie-star worshipers.

It also removed the need to know anything about the Xs and Os that McDonut knew absolutely nothing about, and was too stupid and lazy to learn.

He cultivated Bill Parcells of new York foir inside dirt hoppin g to move to the Globes' owner the prwtigious NYT where he could hobnob withthe real celebrities in the Big Apple. What a total clod... But this is the consequences...

We can also thank McDonut for blocking the stadium from being in Boston. He and Finneran led the campaign. It was petty and mean-spirited and hurt Boston and all of New England. He was the epitome of the Flat Earth Society. When I think of the type of people who have plastered Boston with such a bad reputation over the years (Blue Laws, book bannings, intolerance, etc) McDonut is near the forefront.

I remember Holley saying he was anti-Belichick when BB was in Cleveland and even wrote some unflattering things about him. Holley was as surprised as anyone when BB granted him access to the team.

A while back we had a thread that asked, what would we ask BB if we had the chance. That's one of the things I'd ask, "Why Michael Holley?"

Willie55 said:
Because he thought of it and had the balls to ask.

Maybe, but I'll bet there's more to it than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back