Felger Funny on MASN (yes, MASN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFanInVa

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Our local version of NESN is MASN, Mid Atlantic Sports Network... they did an interview with Felger, touched on all the usual things, and then they asked him about Belichick's "supposed" lighter side, how broad-based and interesting a guy he is, etc. They asked Felger if he'd seen that side and Felger said "Well, I haven't seen it, but that's because Belichick hates me like poison." Then went on to say that others have seen that side, etc. etc. etc.

Didn't know if this had aired up there or not, but it cracked me up.

PFnv

That's funny, he's probably right, Belichick's definitely right.

I love MASN, especially during baseball season since they carry the Orioles and Nats, it lets me see pretty much every team throughout the season.

And gee Felger, I wonder why BB could hate you?

Sad thing is BB liked him just fine up 'til maybe 2003 when he had morphed into this loudmouthed radio guest on WEEI looking to attract attention to himself as some sort of sports shock jock in waiting. He probably had the best access to the team in the early stages of the dynasty because he wasn't part of the old Boston guard.

I remember him when he was merely the occasional football guest on WEEI and he was always the voice of reason Pat's fans looked forward to. Used to defend Bill's choice to protect his players and his information against all the whining baseball scribes who wanted him to grovel for them like the Yawkey Way minions did. Used to tell them it's not his job to make our jobs easier, it's his job to win football games...Heck, he used to drive Tom places on occasion and see guys socially and get exclusive insight, until he started slipping on air and mentioning things he was told off the record to prove to the Tony Mazz's and the like that he knew things. Then his access started to dry up.

That remains his downfall, and why these players can't stand him personally. They know he is looking to ferret out something that if attributed to them will get them in trouble, and he thinks it's fine to single out their teamates for uninformed evisceration and then act like it's no big deal. He's building his media career at their expense.

BB is a pretty good judge of character. I guess that is why Holley got the nod when he wanted to do Patriots Reign. While he had been critical of BB's choice early on, listening to his cohorts at the Globe, he projected as someone with journalistic integrity and enough self confidence to be trustworthy. Felger didn't. That is why Holley now gets all the book deals while Felger lamely tries to make the case that if they like you you're a rump swab and if they dislike you it's proof you're objective...

When he had our former punter on as his first regular guest on WEEI, he got him in hot water too. One day he arranged for him to bring in the entire kicking team, and he was touting it on air. That day at lunch BB walked by their table and said you're not going anywhere this afternoon... That's why even though the Kraft's felt they had to play ball with the new ESPN Radio outlet in Boston, as they are with his latest gig on Comcast, they are selective about who he gets access to. Only guys like Vrabel or Light who can either be trusted not to succomb to his leading style of in your face questioning or who are savvy enough to spar with him mano a mano on air short of punching him in the face.

This team, due to their accomplishments and the national appeal of football, has elevated the profile of every writer and talking head in the Boston sports market. For that they should at least be treated with respect...you would think.

MASN, Bud Selig's gift to Peter Angelos for letting the Nationals come to DC. Imagine having to watch replays of Orioles games repeatedly. UGH>

I never liked the "Report Card" mentality no matter who was doing it (and Mannix was pretty good as a writer and analyst). Felger has a role there but it immediately casts him in the teacher's role. That's who we associate with report cards, right? So it's a losing position for "teacher" to take on the ultimate football mind on the planet and grade him. In a way it's ludicrous. It's just a vehicle for his opinions but it comes off as smarmy and uppity. Little wonder that he's perceived in a negative way.

The only thing funnier than that would be for Randy Moss to plant his meaty fist in Felger's awful gumline for saying so many stupid things about him.

I never liked the "Report Card" mentality no matter who was doing it (and Mannix was pretty good as a writer and analyst). Felger has a role there but it immediately casts him in the teacher's role. That's who we associate with report cards, right? So it's a losing position for "teacher" to take on the ultimate football mind on the planet and grade him. In a way it's ludicrous. It's just a vehicle for his opinions but it comes off as smarmy and uppity. Little wonder that he's perceived in a negative way.

It would be tough enough if some erstwhile soul like Reiss or Breer were handing out the grades. It's the flippant mentality in the commentary now where Felger is concerned that really ticks these guys off. The Tivo grader from BU via So. Florida and Wisconcin where he likely never donned the pads beyond HS. Sure guys can watch a game they never played at the pro or college level and still fully grasp it. But most of them who are truly good at that have spent a lifetime working in the game and breaking down coaches film as opposed to watching on TV or from a press box.

I don't even like the up and down ratings the others here feel the need to bestow based on a game plan and personnel situations they have no pre or often post game knowledge of. It leads to fans developing the same bad habit or making kneejerk assessments often on a play by play basis and expecting every play to succeed or requiring someone to blame.

And yet Bill did the afterword for Felger's book in 2004. It's really bad when even the head coach notices that the guy's turned into a douche. Him harping on Bill's son getting arrested last season just to make himself appear "objective" probably is what turned Belichick on him.

You guys have felger pegged right. I like the guy who called him a sports shock jock. that is pretty accurate. he just says anything that will engender contraversy and for that he has lost all credibility in my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes