PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Felger believes Troy is coming back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fencer

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=188616

The question may no longer be if Troy Brown will play next season, but where he will play.
A source familiar with Brown’s situation said last night that the veteran receiver “definitely” wants to return for a 15th NFL season.
“One hundred percent,” said the source.
Whether Brown gets an offer, and from which team, is the question. Another source close to Brown said he would be surprised if Brown were to sign anywhere other than New England.

So for the sake of carrying Troy, is it worth:

• Making a roster slot available for a sixth WR to start the season?
  • IRing somebody when Jackson's PUP time is up, whether they need it or not?
Because that's what's entailed in signing him unless somebody doesn't make it out of training camp.

I'm not sure, so I'd be inclined to sign him. It would hurt to cut him in August, if that turns out to be needful, but how much worse would that be than not having him through the offseason?

I would like BB, even if it's against his cold-blooded better judgment, to bring Troy back. If the WR corps is:

Stallworth, Welker, Caldwell, Gaffney, Washington, Jackson, Troy that would be too many. But I think one of Caldwell/Gaffney/Washington will be cut, so maybe carrying 6 won't be that bad.

Well I don't believe they won't bring him back if he wants to come back.

Even if you assume Jackson is IRed, which I think is a bad assumption, that leaves :

Brown
Welker
Washington
Stallworth
Caldwell
Gaffney

That's 6 which is the max we could keep.

Welker and Stallworth are locks. Troy probably would be. That's three.
Washington isn't but his ability to play gunner on ST really helps.
If Jackson is gone, that leaves 6, I guess.
If Jackson isn't gone, that leaves a really tough roster decision - but maybe not until Jackson comes off PUP if he starts there.

So for the sake of carrying Troy, is it worth:
  • Making a roster slot available for a sixth WR to start the season?
  • IRing somebody when Jackson's PUP time is up, whether they need it or not?
Because that's what's entailed in signing him unless somebody doesn't make it out of training camp.

Troy gives us a backup receiver, backup CB and special teams player all in one roster spot.

Keeping him on the team might effectively save us a roster spot, not cost one.

I'm assuming Jackson will be PUPed.

Good point re DB -- if we don't happen to stock up on DBs during the draft, Troy can provide added depth.

But unless the LBs line up beautifully in the draft, I do expect DB to be well-stocked.

Although it never seems to be stocked well ENOUGH ...

It's a cold hearted business in which there is little room for sentimentality.

That said, it's also a team game with incredible parity, and I don't think you can underestimate how little separates some teams. Team cohesion and happiness are important too. You can't judge the importance of Troy Brown solely by comparing him to whatever player might otherwise fill the roster spot, in my opinion.

If he wants back in, there's got to be room for him. I would be absolutely sickened if he were to retire as anything other than a patriot. I suppose if he wants to do a Favre and drag things out after this year, it's a different calculation. But if he plays next year, he should do it for us. He will make a big play when it counts.

Troy gives us a backup receiver, backup CB and special teams player all in one roster spot.

He also has played QB for us, right? :) Do we have a 3d QB right now?

I really liked how Gaffney looked in the playoffs last year... His hands were more reliable to me than Caldwell's, so I would hate to see him go, but I don't want to see Brown go either.... sigh... I'm glad I'm not having to make that decision...

They should cut a promising young player even if it's just to keep Brown on the bench cheering people on.

Why don't they make him a coach if that's what they want?

They should cut a promising young player even if it's just to keep Brown on the bench cheering people on.

The coaching stuff comes up every once and a while, but realistically a beginning coach makes minimal money and long hours compared to players.. what I see is him going to the FO and joining Andre Tippett as a frontman for a lot of the Patriots stuff. Felt Mr. Kraft took care of him last year with a lot of off field cash flow, endorsements and speaking, and he will probably do the same again.

I hate to see him play on another team and I think the pats should try to retain him, but they have to make tough decisions and this could be one.

One of these receivers could get hurt in or before TC and brown would be a good backup

If Troy wants to come back and BB feels he can still play one more year, then he will be signed. He is Mr Patriot and Tom Brady also wants him back.

Jackson by all accounts will be on the PUP for the first 6 weeks, then have several more weeks to be allowed to practice and I believe it is up to week 10 before they have to make a call on him. A lot can happen in 10 weeks of NFL games. My bet would be they IR Jackson at that time if everyone else is clicking and let him get healthy for 2008.

Bottom line, they will sign Troy if he wants to come back and is judged to have a shot at making the 53 over Childress and Kight. He would be a good insurance policy until they have to make a decision in week 10. He will have to make the 53 just like everyone else and that means he will have to beat out one of the WRs as the Pats usually only carry 5 WRs. They have carried 6 in the past, but that shorts them one other roster spot. One poster said carry him as the 3rd emergency QB and go with only Brady and Cassel as legit QBs. That could solve the roster situation. Bring in a PS QB or 2 to throw passes in camp and practice.

1) There is absolutely no question that Troy Brown would be more valuable to the team than whatever scrub is brought up from the Practice Squad each week.

2) Even if Brown is inactive each week, he is valuable insurance against injuries at WR, PR and at CB. We have often had a veteran or two on the squad for this kind of insurance.

3) Clubhouse presence is not what we players for, although there do need to be team leaders. We have plenty. Players don't need to play additiional years because of a lack of clubhouse leadership.

4) Make no mistake, Troy will not play much unless there are multiple injuries. He will be inactive unless he can beat out the STer's for playing time.

5) Sure, Troy would like to stay in New England. If he truly wants to play yet another year, he needs to assess whether he wants to be play on a team where he would be more of a major contributer.

My gut feel is that it is time for Troy to retire, but that is a decision for him and his family to make. This year the team will not beg him to come back to fill a critical role on the team, as was the case last year.

I would be fine with him playing elsewhere. That is his decision. If he wants to try to catch 30-50 passes for someone this year and help a team to the playoffs, I wish him well. I DO hope the team is in the NFC. He considered NO last year.

After brady and BB the only guy who knows the offence well is troy.He has been a coach in the field.Reche spoke about this a few times and wes did say he wants on the field to learn the offence faster,

He will be here.also people forget that stallworth sleeps in meetings and does not do well with the playbook.If he is found be lacking except for deep ball throws troy becomes even more critical .Washigton is too unknown to even know if he can get the playbook and get the reads.speed is overrated in an offence like this,remember sean payton kicked him out even before he has his young WR group develop.

the 2 receivers who are reading what tom reads now are troy and reche and ofcourse their are threads here to get rid of them.

I don't understand why they can't teach someone to long-snap without having to devote a roster space to a player like Paxton. Why can't Koppen or Hochstein do that, which would free a roster space for players like Troy?

BB is on record as saying, "There is always room for Troy Brown on this ballclub".

With that said, he also told Bledsoe that he would be given a fair chance of getting his starting job back. ;)

Great point on Paxon. But he does special teams coverage and is their 3rd string center. You typically don't see front line centers be long snappers because of the propensity to get hurt. Remember Paxon was lost for the year late in the 2003 season. With that said in the 90 or so games with the Pats, he has been perfect. That would be a tough cut.

I want to see Troy Brown come back for one more year and I want to see him go out the way he should .... as a champion. This guy (as everyone here knows) is one of the greats in New England Patriot history. This should be his farewell tour. Jackson is done for 2007, so Brown still fits with Stallworth, Welker, Gaffney, Caldwell and Washington. Troys' versatility will insure a spot.

Isn't the issue about Troy coming back as a player? Plus, I am sure he acts as a great coach inside the locker room to the new players. Not to mention a classic role model.

As a fan and as individual who respects him so much, I want him back for at least one more season and watch him end his career as a Patriot with one more SB ring.

BB is on record as saying, "There is always room for Troy Brown on this ballclub".

With that said, he also told Bledsoe that he would be given a fair chance of getting his starting job back. ;)

And who's to say that he wasn't given that chance, and failed? Borges? Nuf' said!

I don't understand why they can't teach someone to long-snap without having to devote a roster space to a player like Paxton. Why can't Koppen or Hochstein do that, which would free a roster space for players like Troy?

Because a botched snap can be the difference between going to the SuperBowl or not. Lonnie Paxton has a roster spot because he is "money" as a long snapper. Perhaps the best in the NFL. He contributes more than a 5th or 6th wide receiver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes