PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Felger and Mazz: Should Pats fans be so overconfident?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I actually took the bait and listened to the segment. Mazz's problem is he holds up Dan Shaughnessy's most recent article (and let's face it, Shaughnessy is milking his "no way the Pats can lose" shtick to the max because it's the first time anyone has listened to what he has to say in years [even if it is to criticize him]) and applies it to all Pats fans, none of whom contributed to the article. The only person Mazz has proved is overconfident is Shaughnessy. How pathetic is that?

You have to take Felger & Mazz for what they are. A couple of guys who know a little bit about sports (probably in many instances no more than the rest of us) who are paid to go on the airwaves every day and get people to listen. How do you get people to listen? By being controversial and contrarian, no matter what the subject. I just like listening to football talk, no matter what, so I tolerate them.

But just for fun, let's look at this whole "Patriots have not been very good in subsequent match-ups" talk, as that has been one of their talking points all week. If you look at this year's team, we have already had 3 subsequent match-ups, with our 3 division rivals. Each time they played us close in the first game, and we blew them out in the 2nd. Does it mean anything? I don't know, but maybe it means that this year's team is good at ferreting out weaknesses (coaches) and implementing adjustments (players). Or maybe it means that all three just gave up by the time we faced them again (certainly looked that way with Miami) and it has no bearing on anything.

Last year we blew out Denver in both the in-season and post-season games. And we narrowly lost to the Giants in both the in-season and post-season games. What does that mean? Maybe that we had Denver's number and the Giants had ours? Doesn't it mean, at least maybe, that we have the Texan's number?

Who knows? It is hard to beat a team twice in one year, but the Pats have done it a lot in the last 10 or 11 years. They've also lost some. What really amazes me when I step back is just how large a sample size we have to choose from. The Pats have been in an unbelievable amount of post-season games, even since 1996. We are really lucky to have such a good team. For that I am very thankful (and confident, but not overly so).

We generally don't beat ourselves (as much as other teams, 2009 Ravens excepted) so losing or winning a return game is often due to our, or our opponents adjustments.

We forget that, buffoon or not, Rex Ryan is a great defensive coach and they had great personnel in 2010. On the other hand, we were limited offensively, but strong in some areas. Our wides could be single covered and they had the corners, our RB was consistent but not a breakout threat and a few mistakes allowed Rex to clog the middle with players, gumming up things for Hern, Gronk, Welker risking breakout runs or open receivers that never happened because of personnel matchups.

Of course, had we played better and got a lead, it would have been different, but we didn't and it wasn't. Each game is two teams and two coaches period.

You are correct, but there is a certain element among Patriots Nation that actually tries to take it one game at time like they're players. I think maybe some of these people actually believe in jinxes and such!!!

These are the same people who wear their "lucky clothes" on gameday as if it could possible have some affect upon the outcome. I know a guy who can only watch a big Patiots game by himself. He can't handle distractions during game time because he "thinks" he needs to remain hyper-focused.

Imagine, isolating oneself because they "think" they can have an affect on the outcome of a game they're not even playing in!!!!!

So if we have any of these people present, could you all stand up so we can see who you are? :D

Never mess with a winning streak.

I have some superstitions... nothing too crazy but I wont go to a playoff game because I think I am unlucky, the 2 games i went to were the 09 Ravens and 10 Jets... we all know what happened. I did not go last year and look what happened, Pats made it to the super bowl. I don't know if I make a difference but I sure think it helps if I stay at home during the playoffs-

I also turned down tix to the game tomorrow :eek:

You are correct, but there is a certain element among Patriots Nation that actually tries to take it one game at time like they're players. I think maybe some of these people actually believe in jinxes and such!!!

These are the same people who wear their "lucky clothes" on gameday as if it could possible have some affect upon the outcome. I know a guy who can only watch a big Patiots game by himself. He can't handle distractions during game time because he "thinks" he needs to remain hyper-focused.

Imagine, isolating oneself because they "think" they can have an affect on the outcome of a game they're not even playing in!!!!!

So if we have any of these people present, could you all stand up so we can see who you are? :D

Leave me alone. Stop talking about me. Now I have to start over. Don't you understand how hard it is to find a virgin around here?

On what planet do you think Pats Fans actually want to read those two twerps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back