PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Felger and Johnathan Kraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean Pa Patriot

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Listening to the archive bit now... Felger still hammering about how the pats did not spend to the cap, Kraft defending and making great points..

Got a link?

They should have spent the other 78 cents.....

Heard indirectly that the Pats spent over the limit, and they will be penalized with that being said.. Felger certainly is confused about his role, I would rather get along with the Krafts than antagonize them.

He still does not get the basic fact that this team is not really all that flawed, and they will probably not change all that much.

They only bought "soft" toilet paper for the players' restrooms? Not even "super soft?!?!"

Cheap Krafts.

Listening to the archive bit now... Felger still hammering about how the pats did not spend to the cap, Kraft defending and making great points..

Too bad Felger didn't listen as carefully as you did. He was too busy trying to further his agenda to actually pay attention to the answers Kraft was giving him.

He is the head cheerleader of the "Kraft is a cheapskate" squad. Funny that he kept acknowledging what a pain in the ***** he was being, but kept at it anyway.

Here's a summary of some of J.Kraft's points:
* League accounting isn't done until the end of the year and Kraft is working off Patriots internal figures and a private NFL website that the media doesn't see. He believes (and it's hard to disagree with this) that media websites are wrong.
* The rules state that if the League is more than 2% cash-over-cap, than those teams that spend more than 2% cash over cap will have the overage deducted from their future cap, prorated through the end of the CBA.
The Patriots wanted to avoid that penalty and thought they were close to getting penalized.

He said their goal is to contend for the superbowl every year, rather than blow the wad on any single season. As the only team to have won 4 straight conf championships (not to mention 3/4 SB's), clearly they've achieved that.

With 2 1st rnd picks, good cap space in '07, and a core of good players, they're in position to do it again.

Felger's primary response is to quote ESPN websites and to repeatedly state that "you know how I like to be a contrarian." Mike Felger, courageous voice of the people, as opposed to Mike Felger the unabashed publicity hound.

So I say cheap, shmeap, I don't really give a crap. The Pats have a great strategy and they execute it better than anyone else. Colts beat them in a tough game but they're in cap hell. Pats lost but are a terrific position to compete in '07.

What people don't say, and this is probably the most important point: There's a lot of luck in winning football games. The best way to win a superbowl is to content as much as possible and hope that one year, luck comes your way.

Why are the Colts going to the superbowl? Because they've contended for many years and luck went with them this year. If the Pats keep contending every year, they'll be back at the big game soon enough.

Thanks for posting those links, very interesting. Felger did say he was probably alone in his position and HE IS. Most of us fans accept the way the FO operates and are willing to live with that. Felger is living up to the profile of all the second guessing, Monday morning talking heads. Go Pats.....

* League accounting isn't done until the end of the year and Kraft is working off Patriots internal figures and a private NFL website that the media doesn't see. He believes (and it's hard to disagree with this) that media websites are wrong.
* The rules state that if the League is more than 2% cash-over-cap, than those teams that spend more than 2% cash over cap will have the overage deducted from their future cap, prorated through the end of the CBA.
The Patriots wanted to avoid that penalty and thought they were close to getting penalized.

He said their goal is to contend for the superbowl every year, rather than blow the wad on any single season. As the only team to have won 4 straight conf championships (not to mention 3/4 SB's), clearly they've achieved that.
Thanks for the summary, but who said the Pats won four straight conf championships?

Kraft said they have BEEN to 4, not won 4.

I just can't stand Felger. It almost seems like he is criticizing Kraft for NOT going over the cap! Doesn't he know spending too much puts you on the shoes of Daniel Snyder, expensive without victories?
The guy is a typical example of a member of the media thinking he is the story and not realizing he is covering the story. Plus, he just can't be that smart, since he thinks they should have paid Deion.

With 2 1st rnd picks, good cap space in '07, and a core of good players, they're in position to do it again.

Felger's primary response is to quote ESPN websites and to repeatedly state that "you know how I like to be a contrarian." Mike Felger, courageous voice of the people, as opposed to Mike Felger the unabashed publicity hound.

So I say cheap, shmeap, I don't really give a crap. The Pats have a great strategy and they execute it better than anyone else. Colts beat them in a tough game but they're in cap hell. Pats lost but are a terrific position to compete in '07.

What people don't say, and this is probably the most important point: There's a lot of luck in winning football games. The best way to win a superbowl is to content as much as possible and hope that one year, luck comes your way.

Why are the Colts going to the superbowl? Because they've contended for many years and luck went with them this year. If the Pats keep contending every year, they'll be back at the big game soon enough.

:rocker: I couldn't agree more. As to Felger,he's such a hound is right-I think that's why he does what he does but he interjects just enough positive to keep an audience. They'd love him on PTI or Around The Horn.

A Manning quote from today: if you have a chance to go for the Super Bowl, you put all your eggs in the basket and go for it that year. You can't afford to plan on future dominance in this day and age.

Very different philosophy than BB's, obviously.

A Manning quote from today: if you have a chance to go for the Super Bowl, you put all your eggs in the basket and go for it that year. You can't afford to plan on future dominance in this day and age.

Very different philosophy than BB's, obviously.
I'm not sure what Mannng is talking about, but this is not the Colts philosphy any more than it is BB's. If the Colts have been in contention for the last 3-4 years, and they have, then they obviously did not put all their eggs in the first year's basket, or the second.

By following a stay-competitive-every-year philosophy, the Colts, Pats, Eagles, Steelers, Broncos, etc etc are in the playoffs almost every year.

An example of putting all your eggs in this year's basket would be Snyder of the 'Skins.

I don't think I would be happy with a put it all out this year philosophy, burning future cap money today and trading away future high draft picks all for a shot at this year. It worked for the Ravens, who cut like 19 starters the year after they won, but they are really just now getting back to annual competitiveness. Teams like the Titans and Raiders went into huge cap depbt for a one-two year window and paid the price without winning the big one.

Felger knows as much about football as my cat.

You hit it right to the point....GREAT POST!!!

:yeahthat:

I don't have a problem with a reporter trying to ask tough questions but to do that they need to have done their homework. It's annoying when a reporter only asks the same questions that would occur to any casual fan -- but asks them loudly and aggressively to establish what a "contrarian" they are.

If Felger wanted to give Kraft a hard time, he could have pushed him on the Patriots' policy of maximising the length of rookie contracts and not extending until the last minute. Did that sour the mood with Seymour, Branch, Asante? I'd like to hear a member of the organisation put on the spot about this.

:yeahthat:

I don't have a problem with a reporter trying to ask tough questions but to do that they need to have done their homework. It's annoying when a reporter only asks the same questions that would occur to any casual fan -- but asks them loudly and aggressively to establish what a "contrarian" they are.

If Felger wanted to give Kraft a hard time, he could have pushed him on the Patriots' policy of maximising the length of rookie contracts and not extending until the last minute. Did that sour the mood with Seymour, Branch, Asante? I'd like to hear a member of the organisation put on the spot about this.

Forget about the annoying Felger, go back and listen to Jonathan Kraft.

He lays it out for anyone that cares to try to understand what they are doing over there. As far as I am concerned, NOBODY runs their franchise better than the team in place right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back