PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Felger and Curran on Dillon

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can offer any opinion you wish, no matter how silly. We are not eating $5.4M of cap money so that we can start a rookie RB; you read it here first.

I agree that we should bring in a RB, through free agency or the first few rounds of the draft.

ClosingTime said:
Did I talk ****?
No, just offered my opinion. And I'll go further. I bet the Pats pick up a RB in the first three rounds and may just release Dillon outright.

ClosingTime said:
Dillon is done. Not much tread left on those tires.
Good thing is this draft is loaded with talent at RB and it's the one position a rook can step right into.

Closting Time -
Why do you say that Dillon doesn't have a lot of tread left on his tires? Because he is 31? Do you realize that in only 4 of 9 seasons, he's gone over 300 carries. In fact, Dillon is only averaging 268 carries a season. Not that high for a premier back.

Dillon got injured in pre-season sometime and was never fully healthy during the season. Barring further injury, Dillon should be able to put up a full season like he did in 2004.

ClosingTime said:
Did I talk ****?
No, just offered my opinion. And I'll go further. I bet the Pats pick up a RB in the first three rounds and may just release Dillon outright.

Its highly unlikely that the Patriots are going to eat over 5 million to get rid of Dillon, ClosingTime. There is no benefit to doing so. They may not pick up his option, but we will see here in the next few weeks.

BTW, you actually have to have a brain to offer an opinion. Did you go and steal one from somewhere?

upstater1 said:
The way I look at it, you need to draft a top RB regardless, or else sign a kid like Chet Taylor in free agency. You need a backup to Dillon not only because he's older, but because you need someone to fill in for him when he's healthy, and to play a lot when hes injured.

Drafting or signing a top-notch RB doesn't depend on whether Corey will come back strong or not. We need another stud RB regardless. For now AND for the future.

I agree with drafting a running back in the higher rounds if he is legit. I think that Chester Taylor is going to take over for Jamal Lewis. The Browns already tried to sign Chester last year.

PATSNUTme said:
I think I just hurt a trolls feeling. Didn't think that trolls had feelings.
If they do, self respect and self esteem certainly wouldn't be among them.

Need for attention, even negative attention, that is what fuels a troll's emotional furnace.

Last edited:
Is that 5.4 mill guaranteed? What was Dillon's signing bonus? Of course these factors will play into it.
My assessment of Dillon is starts with his age. He's 31, which is well past retirement age for most runningback. He is a big back that has taken a pounding over the years. This past season, correct me if I am wrong, it seemed every week there was a different minor injury. That's what happens when players get older, they can't recover. If they do bring him back I just see he needing to be relagated to a role similar to Bettis' this past year, not a guy that can carrry the rock 20-25 times a game.
Don't you think if I wanted to stir up crap I would chose more inflammatory topics (i.e Brady's choke job, Brown's hairy muff, the disgrace of having a fumble caused by a kicker, etc)

NEM said:
Name one? :D

Why do you want to put the poor guy on the spot. He's probably been thinking for hours to come up with one.

ClosingTime said:
Is that 5.4 mill guaranteed? What was Dillon's signing bonus? Of course these factors will play into it.

Adamjt13 reported that "Dillon got a $3 million renegotiation bonus, so his cap number for this year was lowered to $2,151,160. Next year, along with his $3 million salary, he has a $3 million option bonus. If the option isn't exercised, his salary goes to $6 million and is guaranteed.

This is presuming that the CBA is not extended before Dillon's option is due.
If the Pats give Dillon the $3 million option bonus and then release him, his cap hit would be $5.4 million ($2.4 million in prior signing bonus amortization and the $3 million option bonus). If the Pats do not give Dillon the $3 million option bonus and then release him, his cap hit would be $8.4 million ($2.4 million in prior signing bonus amortization and the $6 million guaranteed salary).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back