Welcome to PatsFans.com

Feeding at the Trough, while piping "anti-poverty"

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Fogbuster, May 22, 2007.

1. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

As if owning the biggest, most expensive estate in his county was not enough, Democrat presidential candidate, John Edwards, recently spoke on how to defeat poverty at a California state-funded university, for a fee of $55,000. Nice work, if you can get people to pay for it:

Edwards charges $55,000 to speak to UC Davis students about poverty

Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards, who as a Democratic presidential candidate recently proposed an educational policy that urged "every financial barrier" be removed for American kids who want to go to college, has been going to college himself -- as a high paid speaker, his financial records show.

The candidate charged a whopping $55,000 to speak at to a crowd of 1,787 the taxpayer-funded University of California at Davis on Jan. 9, 2006 last year, Joe Martin, the public relations officer for the campus' Mondavi Center confirmed Monday.

That amount -- which comes to about $31 a person in the audience -- included Edwards' travel and airfare, and was the highest speaking fee in the nine appearances he made before colleges and universities last year, according to his financial records.

The earnings -- though made before Edwards was a declared Democratic presidential candidate -- could hand ammunition to his competition for the Democratic presidential nomination. The candidate -- who was then the head of the Center on Poverty, Work and Opportunity at the University of North Carolina -- chose to speak on "Poverty, the great moral issue facing America," as his $55,000 topic at UC Davis.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfgate/detail?blogid=14&entry_id=16809

//
    Last edited: May 22, 2007
  2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +364 / 11 / -27

Reality check time, all speakers at commencements receive payment for what they do... there is a trend to criticize Edwards the whole hair thing etc. In reality all these guys and girls get payment for doing the commencement thing, Rudy Guliani averages 88K per engagement.. it seems the the main stream media is trying to do a job on Edwards, just because he made money in the judicial system. It is what it is a legal way to make money, like it or not. Guiliani made 16 million in 16 months, 11.8 Million was made in speaking engagements. Spin it all you want, but the reality is that the college and speaking system is a way to generate cash. I do not know of a publicly funded college that is not experiencing financial issues.
  3. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +239 / 8 / -13

I think the point is that Guiliani isn't making pretensous statements about '2 Americas' and claiming to be for ethe little guy unlike Edwards and his $100 mil.
  4. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

That is the point, sure. The truth is that there are poor people in America. Talking about them or wanting to help them is not a bad thing, but it is hippocritical for a man worth millions to ask ME to pay for their food, clothiing and shelter, or worse yet, at the point of a gun using the police and the IRS to confiscate my money to do so. Guiliani will be speaking of the poor once he gets nominated, you can bet on that.

On the side, who thought this strange?: Paul Wolfowitz is also rolling in dough, Im sure. In fact he's negotiated a settlement for the priviledge of getting fired. Hows that work in context of the "World Bank"?
    Last edited: May 22, 2007
  5. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +239 / 8 / -13

Wolfie was trying to create some accountability for the billions the WB spends (wastes), this drove the bureaucrats nots and so there was a fight. Wolfie got his payout to leave, since the charges were flimsy. The WB crowd (and Wolfie) didn't care cause it wasn't their money. THe taxpayers get to foot the bill.

BTW since the Univ is publicly funded, your right about who gets to foot the bill. Of course this is peanuts compared to the fleecing the taxpayers will take when the illegal aliens are given amnesty.
  6. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +364 / 11 / -27

The gov't fleeces us in just about everything.. they love to spend our money, our kids money and our grandchildren's money.. spend, spend, spend..
  7. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +524 / 6 / -2

He has every right to make money in any legal means possible. The difference in this situation is his message, versus his actions. When Al Gore talks about the planet's fever and uses 20 times the average Joe's energy, it's hypocritical. When George Bush talks about fiscal sanity it's hypocritical. Therefore, when Edward's, the ambulance chaser who made millions on peoples suffering, talks about poverty, yet builds a $5+ million dollar home with bowling alley's, and talks about making college free while collecting $55k from the schools tax payer funded operation, it's hypocritical.

He's a bozo.
  8. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +666 / 2 / -9

This guy is a f-cking creep. :bricks:
  9. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +364 / 11 / -27

Once again Edwards is just a RW talking point, wonder how much Mitt Romney spends on his haircut and subsequent coloring?? He becomes a convenient talking point.. without regard here is another comment on it by Media Matters. BTW I take offense to those comments about Breck Girls, they will always hold a special place in my mind.. kinda like "Pictures of Lilly", these imaginary girls appeared on the back of some non descript publication we used to get in High School.. all the girls were perfect.

http://mediamatters.org/items/200705220007?f=h_top

In a May 21 entry to the San Francisco Chronicle's Politics Blog, Chronicle political reporter Carla Marinucci wrote, "Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards, who recently proposed an educational policy that urged 'every financial barrier' be removed for American kids who want to go to college, has been going to college himself -- as a high paid speaker, his financial records show." According to Marinucci, Edwards "charged a whopping $55,000 to speak to a crowd of 1,787 [at] the taxpayer-funded University of California at Davis on Jan. 9, 2006," before Edwards declared his intention to seek the presidency. However, Marinucci made no mention of Republican presidential contender Rudy Giuliani, who reportedly charged Oklahoma State University $100,000 for a speech he delivered in 2006 and an additional $47,000 for the use of a private jet.

Since he left office, Giuliani has leveraged his image as "America's mayor" to his decided financial advantage and in ways that belie his man-of-the-people persona.

He commands $100,000 for a speech, not including expenses, which his star-struck clients are happily willing to pay. In one speech last year at Oklahoma State University, Giuliani requested and received travel on a private Gulfstream jet that cost the school $47,000 to operate. His visit essentially wiped out the student speakers annual fund.

Like other high-priced speakers in the private sector, Giuliani routinely travels in style. Besides the Gulfstream, which is a standard perk on the big-time speakers circuit, his contract calls for up to five hotel rooms for his entourage, including his own two-bedroom suite with a preferred balcony view and king-size bed, in the event of an overnight stay.

The Oklahoma contract also required a sedan and an SUV, restrictions on news coverage and control over whom Giuliani would meet, how he would be photographed and what questions he might be asked.
  10. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +239 / 8 / -13

Your not getting it. Romney (who is not a great/good candidate IMO) is not running around trying to make everyone guilty for haveing a couple of bucks and saying we should expand government social welfare programs to supposedly help the poor, and advocating the middle class paying more and more in taxes.

Edwards is a hypocrite who is saying all this stuff,
  11. mark_henderson

mark_henderson Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Good post. . .I have always felt that Edwards is a bit slimy for my taste. A trial lawyer who made millions of dollars just doesn't "get" the issue of poverty, especially when he's making tens of thousands of dollars to speak about it! Check out the New Yorker profile on Barack Obama http://www.newyorker.com/archive/2004/05/31/040531fa_fact1
    Last edited: May 23, 2007
  12. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Lawyer, Politician, ughhhhh

why doesn't he become a landlord, so I can hate him 3 times!
    Last edited: May 23, 2007
  13. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

The more I see of Barack the better he looks.

//
  14. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +364 / 11 / -27

No I do not get it, I am not supposed to like Edwards (don't like him anyways) because he made a lot of cash on this legal system and has some political beliefs. I think the whole stink is much ado about nothing. Would like to see where he say that the Middle Class should pay more taxes to help the poor.. imo that is political suicide. But then again Guiliani said he would support abortion from the right side last week.
  15. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +364 / 11 / -27

Here is some more on this whole hypocrisy, still have not seen a link that shows where Edwards supporting increasing the tax burden for the middle class, this time from that objective reporter Tucker Carlson:

http://mediamatters.org/items/200705230005?f=h_top

From the May 22 edition of Tucker:

CARLSON: But -- OK. You may be absolutely right. John Edwards is actually a great speaker -- I agree with you there. He's a great speaker. However, this is a guy whose campaign platform contains all this talk about alleviating poverty, sympathy for the average college student working two jobs to make it through to pay off student loans, et cetera, and he's soaking a public university for $55,000 when he's already worth millions. Why the hell is he doing that? What's the possible justification for that?

However, on the May 17 edition of Tucker, Carlson defended Giuliani for earning money delivering speeches:

PETER BEINART (New Republic editor-at-large): We have a political system in which people hold office and then, in between holding office, they go and find a way very quickly to make a lot of money. That's what happens. Rudy Giuliani did it by the law firms and speeches. He did it with a hedge fund. It's the way things happen.

CARLSON: No, but here's the difference. Here's the difference: If I make millions giving speeches, I have to get up and perform. I'm selling my talent. I'm serious. If you are by -- see, I think the key to this is the hedge fund. It's not that he's rich -- every liberal is rich. They're all rich. They're all -- I'm serious -- they're all a bunch of limousine, private jet people. You know what I mean? They all are.
  16. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +666 / 2 / -9

Obama, I wouldn't want a President that once shook hands with and put their arm around Al Sharpton.