Welcome to PatsFans.com

Federal SSDI disability claims skyrocket

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +570 / 6 / -2

Deadbeat USA.

I've spoken about this problem for years now. Countless 20, 30, and 40 somethings stroll into my office each year to apply for apartments, listing their "disability" check under income. The system is very, very broken people.

This isn't an Obama problem btw. This is a system problem. This has been going on for decades and it needs to stop. It's just gotten progressively worse over time and soon (2018) the fund will be bankrupt.

[​IMG]

5.4 Million Join Disability Rolls Under Obama

By JOHN MERLINE, INVESTOR'S BUSINESS DAILY Posted 08:02 AM ET

A record 5.4 million workers and their dependents have signed up to collect federal disability checks since President Obama took office, according to the latest official government data, as discouraged workers increasingly give up looking for jobs and take advantage of the federal program.

This is straining already-stretched government finances while posing a long-term economic threat by creating an ever-growing pool of permanently dependent working-age Americans.

Since the recession ended in June 2009, the number of people who've signed up for disability benefits is twice the job growth figure. (See nearby chart.) In just the first four months of this year, 539,000 joined the disability rolls and more than 725,000 put in applications.

As a result, by April there were 10.8 million people on disability, according to Social Security Administration data released this week. Even after accounting for all those who've left the program — mainly because they hit retirement age or died — that's up 53% from a decade ago.

Disabled America: 5.4 Million Join Social Security Disability Insurance Rolls Under Obama - Investors.com

2. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,139 / 13 / -27

#87 Jersey

3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +423 / 12 / -26

When I worked in corrections, a beautiful young woman who had the best three point shot from the corner, heralded the day that she became eligible for SSI because she could not read... her mother, who was wise to the system, applied for her.

What a crock of shyt, tell her to learn how to read.. do not disable her for life.

This article personifies disengenuousness and bias.. it ain't all on Obama.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  4. JackBauer

JackBauer Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +704 / 6 / -9

Makes sense that this would happen after a recession. Unfortunate but in the immortal words of some nobody...it is what it is.

5. Drewski

Drewski In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +129 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Wait...What?

Recessions cause an uptick....in disabled people?

Huh???

Oh that's right....recessions don't cause disabilities...but our system allows "discouraged" people who choose to stop looking for work to become "disabled".

6. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +423 / 12 / -26

Would like to know the age distribution, is it a function of age.. or is it pretty much across the board????

7. Drewski

Ratings:
    +129 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

According to Wiki (link below) there are 4 qualifications to receiving disability Jack:

I don't see a qualification of "and...able bodied workers have given up their fruitless search for a job and thus qualify"

If you are truly disabled....here ya go...Ill help you the rest of your natural life.

If you are discouraged....well keep on trucking homeboy.

Social Security Disability Insurance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

8. JackBauer

Ratings:
    +704 / 6 / -9

No, recessions predictably cause an uptick in the use of welfare and safety net programs. The fact that people are technically gaming the system shouldn't be of much surprise.

9. Drewski

Ratings:
    +129 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

No kidding....but we are talking about disability...which has to have requirements meet to receive it beyond things predictabily found in a recession.

"It is what it is"...is laughable at best.

10. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +570 / 6 / -2

Is anyone at all surprised that people like Jack can't even come to criticize stuff like this? I know I'm not.

Just as bad as this, are the checks given to people who never worked a day in this country. I have tenants who are foreignors. They speak no english, and are all old for the most part. The most recent were petitioned by their children who are here legally. Anyhow, the Yani's as I refer to this one couple I've spoken about previously, came here about 6 or 7 years ago I think. They now get a check from SSI or whichever on it is they qualified for, a free apartment, Mass Health, fuel assistence, food stamps, EBT, etc. Basically they get all the goodies you can think of, all on the taxpayers dime, and they've never, ever worked a nano second in this country. Good gig if you can get it.

They're no the only ones. I have lots of others that are cut from this same cloth. It made me wonder if we weren't better off giving them people $300 a month till they die, plus one way airfare back to their 3rd world country, if they'd agree to move back there. Think of how much money we'd save. Of course, one has to wonder why these people are allowed to do this at all.

11. Drewski

Ratings:
    +129 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Very relevant question in my mind Darryl

12. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +252 / 8 / -12

As much as Obama has been horrible this chart seems to show a continuing trens that has been in place icluding Bush I, Clinton and Bush II as well as Obama, although one could say the trend is if anything accelerating.

While there are certainly people who for a variety of reasons are unable to live a 'normal' life the % who are collecting now seems to be excessive. It would seem that the number of people who are truly disabled wouldn't increase by 300% over a 25 year period.

13. JackBauer

Ratings:
    +704 / 6 / -9

Except that I've taken a positive, not normative, position on this issue. Of course, all you really want is to mindlessly complain about this stuff, which is fine.

If you could provide better sourcing than IBD (that graph is hilarious, by the way), there might be cause to comment further.

14. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +252 / 8 / -12

Yeah cuse anyone to the right of Daily Kos isn't a legit source......:rolleyes:

15. JackBauer

Ratings:
    +704 / 6 / -9

Yeah, 'cause that's totally what I wrote. Can't get anything by this guy.

16. JackBauer

Ratings:
    +704 / 6 / -9

Clearly the issue was an ill-advised loosening of qualifications standards in 1984.

Thus, the solution would be a more stringent screening process.

Rabble rabble rabble lousy deadbeats, etc. etc.

17. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +252 / 8 / -12

If you have a chart showing different data than the IBD chart please feel free to enlighten everyone.

......:rolleyes:

18. JackBauer

Ratings:
    +704 / 6 / -9

I'm not arguing that the data is wrong. I'm arguing that the way the data is presented is about what you'd expect from a rag like IBD.

And, yeah, noting that IBD is in the same hemisphere as NewsMax or CNSNews in terms of integrity is totally the same thing as questioning any source left of DailyKos. Got any more of that keen PF13 logic to drop?

19. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +415 / 4 / -15

#18 Jersey

Do you have any issues criticizing anything our gov't does....because there is a LOT they do poorly Jack. If you don't agree, then you're living in a fantasy world.

FACT: The rate of people becoming disabled does not increase over time. Unless some new disease is running rampant.

20. JackBauer

Ratings:
    +704 / 6 / -9

You don't say?

It'd probably behoove you to contemplate this a bit more before you call it a fact.