Welcome to PatsFans.com

Federal Program Donates Military Surplus Weapons

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by NEPatriot, Jun 18, 2009.

1. NEPatriot

NEPatriot Banned

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

2. State

State Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

#70 Jersey

It's becoming insane. It's prompting the formation of a lot of SWAT brutes who, using such equipment, may break down your door.

This is what we need: The Agitator Blog Archive Maryland House Passes SWAT Transparency Bill

Oh, BTW, they routinely shoot dogs of the homes they're invading.

End the war--legalize 'em.

Would you believe there are dozens of SWAT organization in DC. Even the Dept. of Commerce has its own thugs in residence.
  3. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Tear gas grenades from the grenade launchers, sniper rifles and automatic rifles for regional SWAT teams.

And they have good reason for needing them, protests and rioting can be vicious.
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  4. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Why defend themselves from thugs, druggies, gang bangers, creeps, psychos with arsenals with larger caches than most most countries...why take down one person with a single bullet when they can "talk" to the person trying to kill multiple people :rolleyes:
  5. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

He said he owned the grenade launchers to fire tear gas in the event of a major riot. I suppose it's surplus stuff, so why not? Also, I bet some of those guys are into weapons, and enjoy having those things around. Given our current attitude towards guns, I don't think one can single out the police for wanting a few military items that don't cost anything.
  6. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Their personal views on gun ownership have little to do with the weapons being bought or used. Look at where the cities and towns are- it's all across the state. Some of the most liberal cities in the state like Chelsea and Everett are on the list of those buying and or receiving weapons.

The chief stated clearly that a big factor is them not having to rely on the State Police for help, and there are multiple previous incidents and events that have proven why they would be needed.
  7. Patters

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

I'm not against it. I agree with you, but I also wouldn't see harm in them wanting the military stuff because it would be cool to have them given our current attitude towards gun owners and collectors.
  8. State

State Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

#70 Jersey

It's called overkill. Overkill: The Rise of Paramilitary Police Raids in America | Radley Balko | Cato Institute: White Paper

They have body armor, night vision goggles, automatic weapons, men, helicopters, etc.

And this is fine with you when they execute a warrant for an arrest and--oops!--knocked down the wrong door.

Obviously, you don't read Radley Balko, my fiend's blog. The Agitator
  9. State

State Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

#70 Jersey

10. NEPatriot

NEPatriot Banned

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

US is going to be like China, North Korea, and Iran. We'll not be able to protest any more because police will beat the living crap out of everybody.

I thought that FIRE truck was good enough to deter insane people. Do they prepare for a civil war?
  11. Patters

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

This is a gun rights issue. Either we have gun rights, or we restrict them. I'm okay with either approach. But, if individuals are allowed to own these weapons, why shouldn't the police? I do not think we should have a double standard. If these weapons were costing anything to speak of, I'd agree it's a waste of money. But, if having a grenade launchers helps a cop keep his testosterone levels up, I say, why not?
  12. State

State Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

#70 Jersey

13. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Ignored the rest of my response and jumped on the last part...with an overreaction, expected no less :rolleyes:

Guess they aren't allowed to protect themselves or the public despite being outnumber 10 or more to one :rolleyes:

Right having a high powered sniper rifle is equal to a machine gun or tank...OK then :rolleyes:
  14. NEPatriot

NEPatriot Banned

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Obama has nothing to worry if he delivers his hopeful changes. His supporters are going to be very disappointed when he doesn't do what he said.
  15. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

This is nothing. In the late 40's and early 50's the number of veteran's clubs in the USA skyrocketed. All of 'em wanted their own big ol' gun mounted out front. Not enough due diligence was employed in making sure all of these 'props' were made permanently ineffective.

There's a rumor floating around that the anti aircraft gun mounted in front of the Waltham VFW on Waverly is 6 minutes away from being ready to go. I've played darts there countless times and I've never been able to get a firm confirmation or denial. So I think if those Belmont cops with their puny M16s wanna mess around with that particular VFW, they're in for a big surprise.
  16. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

What the hell are you talking about?

Really, what the hell are you talking about?
  17. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Hear a similar thing about the Beachmont VFW in Revere...except the rust and banged up seats might have given it away as being bogus.

Funny that the term "military surplus" is all encompassing- I wouldn't be surprised if the vast majority of the guns are M1911 or M9 pistols, similar to the handguns worn by nearly all police officers for decades.