Welcome to PatsFans.com

Federal pay ahead of private industry

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +911 / 7 / -3

Unsustainable. Look at the difference in benefits packages.

Federal pay ahead of private industry

Enlarge By Melissa Golden, Getty Images

The typical federal worker is paid 20% more than a private-sector worker in the same occupation. Median annual salary:

Federal - Private - Difference

$66,591 - $55,500 -$11,091

Sources: Bureau of Labor statistics, USA TODAY analysis

By Dennis Cauchon, USA TODAY

Federal employees earn higher average salaries than private-sector workers in more than eight out of 10 occupations, a USA TODAY analysis of federal data finds.
    Accountants, nurses, chemists, surveyors, cooks, clerks and janitors are among the wide range of jobs that get paid more on average in the federal government than in the private sector.

Overall, federal workers earned an average salary of $67,691 in 2008 for occupations that exist both in government and the private sector, according to Bureau of Labor Statistics data. The average pay for the same mix of jobs in the private sector was $60,046 in 2008, the most recent data available.

These salary figures do not include the value of health, pension and other benefits, which averaged $40,785 per federal employee in 2008 vs. $9,882 per private worker, according to the Bureau of Economic Analysis.

Federal pay ahead of private industry - USATODAY.com

2. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +464 / 12 / -14

When you factor in the bennies the fed workers are making ~70% more. We are slaves to our masters in the Federal employees unions.

They also don't have to face layoffs companies going out of business and that people in the private sector face.

3. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +781 / 18 / -23

#24 Jersey

I'm on record as supporting a 10% cut in all government salaries . . . that said, the benefits numbers don't pass the sniff test. The quote claims to be for similar jobs but I'd bet anything that the benefits comparison is for all federal employees vs. all private employees and there's a lot higher percentage of professional, college educated federal employees than non federal emlpoyees. Less than $10K for all benefits for private employees doesn't have a chance to be accurate unless it counts high school dropouts working at McDonals and Burger King.

4. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

remember that these numbers are the average, and not the mean. MOST public sector employees don't make more than they would in the private sector, there is just many many highly paid public sector positions, and that pay range keeps growing every day.

a 10% cut in saleries would kill the middle class government workers, and stifle the economy.

5. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +781 / 18 / -23

#24 Jersey

We cannot afford it. Sorry, WE'RE BROKE. A 10% cut is about a 7% cut in take home, I bet they'd find a way to survive.

But it's irrelevant - THE COUNTRY IS BROKE.

6. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Right, and I think we should cut 10% of the jobs, not just salaries, that pay over 100k in the public sector, and leave the middle class wage earners alone.

7. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +781 / 18 / -23

#24 Jersey

Either way, but I'd prefer to cut salaries and keep the same number of employees. Very few would leave given the situation today and those that did leave could be replaced; although I realize that it costs in training and inexperience to replace someone. I just don't think many would leave whereas if you cut 10% of jobs, at whatever salary, less people are there to do the work.

A 3-4 year pay freeze would be acceptable to me in lieu of the immediate 10% cut in pay.

8. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +789 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

To add even further.....most public sector jobs are in the DC area - one of the highest priced areas of the country. When they made this study they averaged everyone's salary - both private and public. Secretaries in Gary, In., graphic designers in Detroit, Mi., janitors in Mobile, Al. don't make anywhere near the "median" salaries cited for those positions in the private sector study supplied by USA Today. By the same token, secretaries, graphic designers and janitors in LA or NY or DC make considerably more than that median - that's how they get a median.

Fer instance - I do the same thing here that I did back in Indiana - both private sector jobs and yet I make $8.00 a hour more here than I did there - simply because there's a need for employers to be competitive and for people to make a wage which can support them where they live. Private sector salaries here are pretty equal to the federal salaries for the same jobs. No one would work either one if they weren't.

The average RN salary at a private hospital in DC (5 years experience with critical care certification) is $41.00 per hour - or $85,280.00 yearly - which is more than USA today cites as the average public sector RN. ($74,460.00)

Besides that, how many of you private sector guys are required to undergo an extensive background investigation before being hired? (And I don't mean a quick on-line credit check or a police check - I mean a down and dirty talk to your friends, relatives and neighbors background check.) How many of you have to get and maintain a security clearance?

It's all relative.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  9. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +593 / 24 / -19

I'm not sure how they figured it, but if you look at their list of comparible occupations, there are some where the private sector pays better and a handful where federal employees make significantly more. As the article points out, though, the government is not as quick to fire people when they get too old, something private enterprise has many quasi-legal ways to do. A more meaningful measure of compensation would be to look at the job by number of years on the job and also, as Mrs.PatsFan points out, take into account where those jobs are located.

10. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +480 / 11 / -7

#91 Jersey

I think you should quite your lousy job and go apply for one of these super dupper high paying jobs with the big benefits. All i did to get mine was apply when i saw the add in the paper. I'm sure the state or federal government has a position that your qualified for. Seriously RW your hung up on this so just check out mass.gov. jobs. Ive worked for the state twice once in the seventies and again starting in 2006. Neither time did i have to pay anyone i just applied. Oh and the union sucks, i have to be a member but they've done NOTHING for me but stick up for managment. I pay them $400 dollars a year for Nothing, so if you get hired don't expect to get any thing. I've been working for two years without a contract.

11. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +781 / 18 / -23

#24 Jersey

There's some valid arguments to be made but this isn't one of them. Unless you have something to hide this is no big deal.

12. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +824 / 27 / -33

They should do a study of all of the defense contractors and their bloated salaries that are all paid for on our dime, with the added bonus that we also pay for their lobbyists.. this system is self perpetuating and an extremely negative influence on our country and all those sucking the big boob of the taxpayers....

13. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +781 / 18 / -23

#24 Jersey

Exactly, because there's nothing in the Constitution about defending our country and it's borders is there.

:bricks:

14. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +480 / 11 / -7

#91 Jersey

You work for the DOD i think this should apply to you too.

15. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +824 / 27 / -33

You need to clarify your comments as this does not make sense..

No matter what you say defense contractors are all overpaid.. and there are no real watchdog groups monitoring them..

Then they can use some of the money we pay for in taxes for them to pay millions to lobbyists so they can then advocate for more money.. the system is broken on all fronts..

16. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +781 / 18 / -23

#24 Jersey

Yes I do. And I would be fine with it as long as it was across the board. Obviously me taking a 10% cut alone would be worthless but I would support it if it were real and across the board. Really, I would.

17. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +824 / 27 / -33

Military madness is ruining my country..

18. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +781 / 18 / -23

#24 Jersey

No they aren't. If you want to make the argument that there are too many programs then that can be a valid argument on a program by program basis. But I strongly disagree that contractors are overpaid given the work they're asked to do.

19. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +781 / 18 / -23

#24 Jersey

LMAO considering you're on social security and medicare and they, not defense, are the long term killers of our finances. Even if we cut defense down to what the naysayers say is barebones it would still be quite expensive. Not means testing the entitlements is a killer. My dad getting social security is insane - but the check shows up every month.

I'm not trying to pick on you, btw, but we are in a deep hole that one thing won't get us out. We need federal salaries to be cut, we need a few less programs, we need to means test social security, we probably need more than that. "The military" alone is not ruining the country. Not by any stretch.

20. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +911 / 7 / -3

Sorry flex, but the way gubmits across the country are operating, be it federal, state, or local, is unsustainable. That's what I'm pointing out. I'm not saying anyone specific is lazy (although most state workers I know do nothing all day), or that the gubmit doesn't need people to do jobs. I'm not even saying that people shouldn't be paid. My simple point in all this is that gubmit is too big, too inefficiently run, poorly mismanaged, and most importantly, fiscally unsustainable on it's current path. I spent a half hour in city hall today trying to get some tax calculations for one of my building, from the city assessor (who lost them). I basically yes'd him to death cuz he's a bumbling goof, but he had no answer to my point that tax rates have gone up for 4 straight years, while valuations have remained high. We saw a near 20% rise in commercial property taxes this year I told him, after a similar rise last year. Meanwhile, the local paper posts the city salaries, and there are somewhere around 30 people making over $100k. WTF is that? It can't last, and the gubmit cannot expect the people to continuously pay for everyone else. It needs to do what private business does, which is downsize, and become more efficient. Again, and I've said this repeatedly, my point, or position, is not personal. I'm not attempting to point fingers at a specific gubmit employee, and call for tar and feathers. I'm speaking to the overall industry and practice. I'm speaking to the bottom line finances involved. I think you're taking this personally, when you shouldn't. The gubmit does need employees, and those employees it needs should be compensated for their hard work. What we have are bloated payrolls, and unsustainable compensation.