Welcome to PatsFans.com

Federal Agencies employ thousands of illegal immigrants...

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, Aug 25, 2007.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +816 / 27 / -33

For those of you who have formed an opinion on illegal immigration, the feds are now complicit, can you picture a scene like they had in New Bedford where they all pull up at a federal agency on M St. and arrest the illegals and send them all to Texas.. then they charges the employers with not doing their job.. might prove interesting.

http://www.corruptionchronicles.com/2007/08/federal_agencies_employ_thousa.html

The battle over illegal immigration policy continues… but apparently is not an issue to federal agencies.

According to the Washington Times, government agencies “are among the biggest employers of the half-million persons in the U.S. illegally using ‘non-work’ Social Security numbers [numbers previously issued by the Social Security Administration to legal aliens who were not authorized to work in the United States.]”

These numbers are different from the “no-match” numbers. Rather than using the Social Security numbers of American citizens, these illegal government employees are using government-issued numbers specifically stating that the card holder is unauthorized to work in the United States.

Judicial Watch filed a Freedom of Information Act lawsuit against the Social Security Administration, seeking documents identifying the top 100 corporations in the United States receiving the highest number of “no match” letters. The lawsuit coincidentally followed six Immigrations and Customs enforcement raids of large employers of illegal immigrants around the United States.

And herein lies the real issue: while taxpayer dollars are being used to implement ICE raids, the government entities should be working with ICE are, rather, engaging in a tug-of-war, using the very illegal immigrant labor they should be fighting.

While the nation is locked in a battle to end the illegal immigration crisis, it is a travesty that our government agencies are failing in their most basic duty: to follow the rule of law.

2. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,040 / 15 / -8

Crap. I had this whole thing about how there arent any agencies on M street, not many anyway, then realized you meant in New Bedford, not DC.

The Reverend Moon's minions at the Washington Times do have a point. If you read the original linked article, the Times says that LEGAL aliens used this "non-work" number to get jobs -- that is, that there is a number you can get if you're in-country legally, but not authorized to work.

By the time "Judicial Watch" blog got ahold of this info, they were in-country illegally. NOWHERE does this sloppy source say that these are legal immigrants, and "illegal immigrants" is in the title of the hatchet job.

There is a great preference for citizens for jobs in the federal government, especially veterans. If you actually have a federal government job and you are not a citizen, you most certainly have skills in great demand.

Now the "illegals" the Moonie Paper wants you to think about -- the ones lining up outside the 7-11 -- that's another story. They might get work with a contractor to the government, but I doubt with the federal government itself -- if in fact any of them are in-country legally, because that's the only people who use this number.

So to clean up the worst of the inaccuracies here:

- We are talking about people who are IN THE COUNTRY LEGALLY, so the whole bullcrap angle about undercutting ICE is out the window;

- The numbers being used, ACCORDING TO THE WASHINGTON TIMES, are the numbers issued to LEGAL immigrants, but those not authorized to work;

- The Times story has NOTHING to do with illegal immigration;

- The actual story has to do with misuse of a number by LEGAL immigrants

- The Feds typically award points for citizenship and military service. Furthermore there's a preference for using contractors when possible. In fact, I think saying "the Federal government employs" may well mean we are not talking about Feds at all, but rather companies contracting to the feds.

- Finally: if an individual from another country, who has not become a citizen, actually beats out a pool of native-born individuals with equivalent skills, I would be beyond shocked.

"Judicial Watch" is basically claiming that illegals are now taking the government jobs, instead of gathering at day labor sites.

Rather, these are LEGAL immigrants, likely quite skilled ones, REPORTEDLY using a number improperly (i.e., a non-work number instead of a work number.)

Given the sloppiness of the report as it's been filtered down, I am not inclined to take that much more limited original claim at face value either.

Not for all the Federal Agencies on M street.

PFnV

Last edited: Aug 25, 2007
  3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +816 / 27 / -33

I know one of my intents was to post the lack of perspective and truthful information from sites considered to be on the right.. it is what it is, bias on both sides. OTOH Judicial Watch is pretty good site, albeit a rightie, and give some good intelligent info or a harbinger of what is coming next.

4. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +1,040 / 15 / -8

Maybe so -- I know that now and then I see something linking to Judicial Watch. But from reading the Times story this blogger story linked to, it looks like they flubbed the hell out of the reporting side, and it just happens to serve a current rightie agenda item (the "nativist" resurgence.)

PFnV

5. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +559 / 50 / -7

#75 Jersey

Anyone who is employed by the federal government goes through a background check, so the federal government does not employ illegals.

HOWEVER, companies that are contracted by the government employ thousands of them. That is what the whole New Bedford raid was about. every singel government contract has language in it, prohibiting the knowing employment of illegals.

6. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +1,040 / 15 / -8

And that makes it a completely different issue.

Rather than ICE fighting other agencies, ICE is basically enforcing other agencies' backgrounding process. The fact that the investigation goes to one level in the backgrounding process, and another level once it's in ICE's hands, is a whole other issue. But basically it does not leave the room for hysteria seen here.

PFnV