Welcome to PatsFans.com

Fed up with rude bus riders, man uses cell jammer to silence phones

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by cupofjoe1962, Mar 4, 2012.

1. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +159 / 20 / -17

Fed up with rude bus riders, man uses cell jammer to silence phones : News : NorthwestOhio.com

I am sure Ralph Kramden, would buy this guy a beer.

Too bad they are not legal. I would love to have one in my car to
    disconnect the people who pay more attention to their cell phone
    than driving. I will take the heat for this comment. The truth is women
    spend far too much time on the phone behind the wheel.
    Like it or not
    it is the truth.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  2. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +432 / 8 / -4

While I agree with you, I see plenty of men on the phone while they drive, too. If anything, I'd say there's more of a divide by age, just from what i've observed.

But, frankly, I don't really care whether people are on the phone or not -- I care about how they drive.

texting, otoh...

as for the cell phone jammer, I like the idea, but I do take issue w/people who think loud conversations with the person next to you are fine, while loud conversations on the phone are rude. to me, rude is rude, and it doesn't matter where the person you're talking to happens to be located.

3. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +159 / 20 / -17

I drive about 35,000 miles a year. Men are not even close to women
    as far as driving and talking on cell phones. Although young girls do
    talk and drive the biggest offender I can see is the 25-45 year old
    soccer moms. The younger girls usually have a passenger their
    own age in the car.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  4. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +576 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

I have written this before and I'm writing it again....

Cell phones are not that important. You may believe otherwise, but that doesn't change the fact.

I read recently where our gov't may mandate auto manufacturers to place cell jamming devices into cars so that the only time they can be used is when the car is not moving.

That's one gov't idea I would welcome.

5. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +789 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

That's just great....now when some highway serial killer is trying to run you off the road you can pull over, shut off your engine and call the police.

Highway serial killers everywhere salute you.

6. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +576 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

WOW!!

Shall we compare the number of people killed due to distracted drivers and cell phones to those killed by serial killers ON THE HIGHWAYS?

Let's get real!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  7. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +789 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

Yes let's.

Explain how you'll punch a teacher in the nose for taking away your kid's twinkie in the lunch room when obesity kills just as many people as automobiles do but you're ok with the government taking away his cell phone while he's in his car.

Inconsistancy, thy name is PatriotsReign.

8. Drewski

Drewski In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +362 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

PR - I agree with you (and other posters) about calling/texting and driving being a bad combo - actually saw a report stating that texting and driving "impairs" a driver's ability to drive more than alcohol (Ill see if I can find it).

That being said - the bolded part of your post is an opinion, not a fact. Facts are usually verifiable by definition, and I don't think you could find something which would say "we were able to verify that cell phones are not important". You may be able to say that "humankind had existed, sucessfully, for milenia, without them. But that would also fail to take into account how technology fits into the modern world.

I realize I am nitpicking (gonna be one of those mornings :) ) but I am sure there are many people who would say that cellphones are important to their lives, as verified by their need to be on it/have it available to them at all times (whether for personal or business reasons).

As for the OP. This guy seems to think his situation is more important than other people's (being on the phone in public). Not to mention, isnt running a jammer and crime? Thought when I saw this on CNN (and BarstoolSports - Mrs. Do not venture there!) that the irony of this whole situation is this guy was "doing everyone a service" by illegally jamming phones.

9. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +230 / 1 / -0

#95 Jersey

The issue is not distracted drivers but passengers on a bus who might even be texting (which would be blocked) who are not bothering anybody. They interviewed the guy on local TV and he seems to think he is the ultimate arbiter. When he gets hit with a criminal charge, that will straighten him out....

10. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +789 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

I can't go to BarStoolSports??? Why can't I go to BarStoolSports? What is BarStoolSports?

Oh never mind. I just went to BarStoolSports.

Drewski, Drewski, Drewski.......

[​IMG]

11. Drewski

Ratings:
    +362 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Hahaha, this is America Mrs. You are free to do as you please....was just trying to throw a word of caution, as Barstool is definitely geared toward a demographic you fall outside of. :) Not that women don't or can't enjoy "fratboy" humor....

hahaha

12. Drewski

Ratings:
    +362 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

This guy kinda reminds me of a guy I saw on the news here a couple of years ago. Think it was Brookline???.....anyway. Some guy would go around his neighborhood and vandalize cars who had out of state licence plates. His rational was that "MA has a law that you have 6 months to transfer your auto registration to MA, thus these people were breaking the law".

Unfortunately for him, most of the cars were students at local colleges, who were surprise surprise, from out of state. Doubly unfortunate for him, it is also a crime in MA to vandalize a car....silly man playing all Deputy Droopy.

13. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,153 / 5 / -10

Cell Phone Jamming:

In public places and while driving the dirty little things ahould be JAMMED up into the users Rectum.

14. Drewski

Ratings:
    +362 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Rectum....Damn near killed'em.

15. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +1,153 / 5 / -10

They'd be walking around with voices coming out of their ass........:singing:

16. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +576 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

I think I could easily prove that cell phones are no more necessary today than they were 30 years ago.

I've spent my career working for various companies that "create demand" for products...even when they aren't necessary. Cell phone companies definately created the perception that we cell phones are vital.

Say a teenager realizes they forgot their cell phone on a 1 hour trip and they panic. Guess what? Panic in this case is not a natural human response. In fact, panic is a conditioned response brought to us by the makers and sellers of cell phones.

If someone is employed in a business where communication is constantly necessary, I can understand panic. But if cell phones somehow disappeared, our society would get along fine as we always did. We do not need to be in constant contact with our friends...never have, never will.

I rarely use my cell phone and often don't bring it when I'm running errands for an hour or two. And I do not make or receive calls when I'm driving.
    As a matter of fact, I shut off my phone when I'm driving.

17. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +576 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

But my consistency wasn't your point MrsP! You "tried" to make the point that people need cell phones while driving due to serial killers! lol

You are "trying" to compare gov't intervening in parenting to gov't intervening in highway safety and the 2 are not comparable.

One is about obesity where any parents can and should rule over their children's diet and the other is about something that directly and immediately causes death...cell phone distraction.

Obesity "may" lead to early death...but not immediate death like cell phones. At least with obesity, people can change and lose wieght...HELLO Biggest Loser! And with obesity, you only kill yourself, not other innocent people.

Care to continue? Or do you want to revert back to personal attacks?

18. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +1,153 / 5 / -10

For over forty years I drove anywhere from two hundred to 300 miles per day, I have never seen a Serial Killier, what do they look like, why don't we hear more about them.

"mommy"
    "yes dear"
    "daddy's home"
    "hi honey I'm home"
    "did you have a nice day dear"
    "it was ok, I saw 23 serial killers on the way home"
    "i went shopping today and there was one driving right by the house when I left"
    "yea, they're all over the place"
    "f-ck em right mom"
    "thats right dear"

19. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +432 / 8 / -4

Necessary? No. Helpful? Yes.

But so what? The issue isn't the cell phone, it's how some people use it -- anymy guess is that the people who are rude on their cell phones tend to be rude in other walks of like, and those people who drive dangerously while they talk on their phones tend to drive dangerously when they're not talking on their phones.

20. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +432 / 8 / -4

Cell phones shouldn't be permitted in public?

You're starting to show a real affinity for rape, harry