PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Fear is your only God- a study of fear in monkeys

A "God of the gaps" explains what is not explained scientifically with religious belief.

So a "God of the gaps," as well as a raging fundamentalist God absolutely in conflict with scientific observations (say, someone who believes in a flat 4-cornered earth, so we aren't flinging around barbs at any posting here.)

The objective/subjective decision is one that acknowledges basic good manners. It's just plain rude to say "believe this because I believe it so hard." It's fine to say "Hey try dropping a larger and smaller cannon ball from a tower, and you'll see they drop at the same rate." It's even fine to say "Hey try flying in a plane until you find the edge of the flat 4-cornered world." What is not fine is for the flat-worlder to tell you he believes so hard you must believe or there will be otherworldly consequences, in a proactive manner when said belief isn't even in point. Similarly I would not, except in response to said assertion, say to him "YOU! Ignorant flat-earther!!! get on a plane goddammit!!!"

As to my own belief regarding God, Wildo, there's no gap-filling, except one puzzler I have never worked out, vis. the development of subjective consciousness itself.

I can accept that sufficiently complex amino acids interacting just so can combine to form what we call life. After all there are compounds and particles constantly being formed, that behave in this way or that, and under certain circumstances (the circumstance itself being a bit of a gap, but I think people imagine lightning to be involved,) I can see the protein-rich soup yielding the one-celled organism.

No problem with an eye showing up, or a heart, or pretty much any of our constituent parts. The senses sense, the brain responds, the organism continues to evolve, no real gap there for me in any of it.

But what puzzles me is the development of introspective consciousness. We see this most easily in one another, and perhaps in some of the animals. Not "who put it there" or "what is it for", but "how the hell did that happen?" Or even "How the hell can that happen?"

At any rate, as far as a God of the gaps goes, I think that particular puzzler is one of my pet applications of said notion. I stipulate though that I'm fascinated by attempts to explain how and why the light bulb went on. Remember Julian Jaynes? As time went on his ideas of what played which part in the human brain sort of got left in the dustbin...but it was a hell of a try. I'd love to see the next step, but unfortunately science is concerned with the objective.

Pretty funny, huh... it's a really really hard task to even theorize about. But it's this big elephant in the room. I'm ready and eager to see good books on how consciousness came to be, and if you know of good theories I am all ears. You'll note I don't demand the gap to preserve the God; I only perceive it.

As to what my own religious faith is, I try not to go into great detail (no, not because it won't hold up to scrutiny, but because if there's a God, he's bigger than my ability to make the case.) Suffice it to say any God worthy of the name necessitates a cosmos without true division; i.e., these divisions at some plane are illusory. This is in harmony with some of the Buddhists, and (I think) with old Foggy here. It is also the only meaning of the Shema, from man's point of view, that makes real sense. Think of it all as bound up and mutually dependent; the golden rule essentially becomes not to stick yourself in the pee hole with a needle. If all partakes of God, why would I harm myself, by harming "another"?

At any rate, one could say "yes, but that's just application of atomism to the individual; we are all forces and particals whizzing around. That does not imply or prove any sort of religion."

And that's why I don't try to foist beliefs on others. Indeed I wouldn't know how to go about objectively proving such a structure, and people can live just fine without it.

As to how we're organized into these selves, not to mention these more easily explained clumps like rocks and planets, at the bottom there is always the next question, and that gives us a great gift, a world full of (literally) wonder, and we are fortunate or blessed enough to have minds to ask the question. It took billions of years to come by such minds, however they came to be, and I'll be damned if I'll shut it off.

But it's been decreed that by the sweat of my brow shall I make my bread, so gotta go for now.

PFnV

"old Foggy" says you are making everything WAY too complicated, convoluted, and really off on tangents. Things are NOT all that fuzzy. Look at a leaf, look at a flower, look at swans, look at bovines, look at atoms, look at particles, look at any entity and you will see universal laws working in perfect harmony. ONLY humans have a disconnect between what is and what it was designed to be.

Look here for the answer: The Principle of Creation and then here: The Human Fall

For the complete picture, see it here: Exposition of the Divine Principle - 1996 Translation

Peace and true love for all.

//

A "God of the gaps" explains what is not explained scientifically with religious belief.

ie "subjective reality." If by definition subjective reality can never interfere with objective reality then you are simply finding a new gap for God to inhabit, albeit a much smaller one than someone like Fog. I see no evidence for your or anyone else's "subjective reality" but it would follow that if you really believed your "subjective" reality was equally as valid as its objective counterpart then you'd entertain the idea of this subjective reality being shared by others as a universal truth. The fact that you don't is pretty indicative of rationalization in my opinion.

"what's true for me may not be true for you."

I'm sorry, but it is either true or it is not, and if it's true for you but not anyone else then this is usually referred to as a delusion.

So a "God of the gaps," as well as a raging fundamentalist God absolutely in conflict with scientific observations (say, someone who believes in a flat 4-cornered earth, so we aren't flinging around barbs at any posting here.)

If you're "subjective" reality occupies a place so small and remote that it can never supercede objective reality then it is a God of the Gaps. All you are doing is taking the scope of known facts and observations and inventing a space for some other kind of truth to occupy that can by definition never be verified. Your God of the Gaps is simply much smaller and more irrelevant to your intellect than the die hard religious.

The objective/subjective decision is one that acknowledges basic good manners. It's just plain rude to say "believe this because I believe it so hard." It's fine to say "Hey try dropping a larger and smaller cannon ball from a tower, and you'll see they drop at the same rate." It's even fine to say "Hey try flying in a plane until you find the edge of the flat 4-cornered world." What is not fine is for the flat-worlder to tell you he believes so hard you must believe or there will be otherworldly consequences, in a proactive manner when said belief isn't even in point. Similarly I would not, except in response to said assertion, say to him "YOU! Ignorant flat-earther!!! get on a plane goddammit!!!"

Name calling aside, there is no rational etiquette I can think of that involves holding back the truth in the face of bold faced lies.

Finding the middle ground just for the sake of being there isn't appropriate to this situation IMO.

As to my own belief regarding God, Wildo, there's no gap-filling, except one puzzler I have never worked out, vis. the development of subjective consciousness itself.

I can accept that sufficiently complex amino acids interacting just so can combine to form what we call life. After all there are compounds and particles constantly being formed, that behave in this way or that, and under certain circumstances (the circumstance itself being a bit of a gap, but I think people imagine lightning to be involved,) I can see the protein-rich soup yielding the one-celled organism.

No problem with an eye showing up, or a heart, or pretty much any of our constituent parts. The senses sense, the brain responds, the organism continues to evolve, no real gap there for me in any of it.

But what puzzles me is the development of introspective consciousness. We see this most easily in one another, and perhaps in some of the animals. Not "who put it there" or "what is it for", but "how the hell did that happen?" Or even "How the hell can that happen?"

At any rate, as far as a God of the gaps goes, I think that particular puzzler is one of my pet applications of said notion. I stipulate though that I'm fascinated by attempts to explain how and why the light bulb went on. Remember Julian Jaynes? As time went on his ideas of what played which part in the human brain sort of got left in the dustbin...but it was a hell of a try. I'd love to see the next step, but unfortunately science is concerned with the objective.

Pretty funny, huh... it's a really really hard task to even theorize about. But it's this big elephant in the room. I'm ready and eager to see good books on how consciousness came to be, and if you know of good theories I am all ears. You'll note I don't demand the gap to preserve the God; I only perceive it.

As to what my own religious faith is, I try not to go into great detail (no, not because it won't hold up to scrutiny, but because if there's a God, he's bigger than my ability to make the case.) Suffice it to say any God worthy of the name necessitates a cosmos without true division; i.e., these divisions at some plane are illusory. This is in harmony with some of the Buddhists, and (I think) with old Foggy here. It is also the only meaning of the Shema, from man's point of view, that makes real sense. Think of it all as bound up and mutually dependent; the golden rule essentially becomes not to stick yourself in the pee hole with a needle. If all partakes of God, why would I harm myself, by harming "another"?

At any rate, one could say "yes, but that's just application of atomism to the individual; we are all forces and particals whizzing around. That does not imply or prove any sort of religion."

And that's why I don't try to foist beliefs on others. Indeed I wouldn't know how to go about objectively proving such a structure, and people can live just fine without it.

As to how we're organized into these selves, not to mention these more easily explained clumps like rocks and planets, at the bottom there is always the next question, and that gives us a great gift, a world full of (literally) wonder, and we are fortunate or blessed enough to have minds to ask the question. It took billions of years to come by such minds, however they came to be, and I'll be damned if I'll shut it off.

But it's been decreed that by the sweat of my brow shall I make my bread, so gotta go for now.

PFnV

The bottom line reason why I believe this to be not much different from any other God of the Gaps argument (despite the fact that you are clearly very tolerant and unintrusive about what you designate as a personal belief) is that you can't seem to define what this subjective reality is, and what use it is to you. How does it operate? Does it make you happy? Does it have any tangible effects on you or purpose? If the answers to these questions is "no" then it is just another version of nothing, talked about vaguely but in a way that prohibits the possibility of objective verification.

In summary: If you can't describe it, it serves no function and it will never be observed by another then it doesn't exist.

When a die hard religious person creates a God of the Gaps, they simply keep moving God into a different role as the observable facts of the world are explained in a way that clearly reduces his role. While you are astute enough to recognize that this process will continue ad infinitum for religious adherents (i.e. lightning isn't God, Human evolution isn't God, abiogenesis probably won't be God either), you seem to be anticipating this never ending process of retreat and inventing a whole new amorphous and unidentifiable space for God to occupy so as to avoid the painful process of having to tell the scientist who discovers the next great thing that he's really wrong, God actually did it and then slowly and embarrassingly having to accept reality. In other words you're putting him in a gap so small it's practically nonexistent.

That being said, much of what you describe in terms of an honest inquiry into existence and consciousness is not what I would consider a belief in God. I have no idea how the Universe came to be, what it's nature is, hows organisms develop a consciousness or any other questions about what should be universal truths. And I'm truly interested in any answer that may come of it, even though we are likely to neither discover nor understand the answers to these questions because there is no natural pressure to do so. And in a way, I agree that if God is merely a euphemism for the answers to these questions then that is not a God of the Gaps. But to say "I believe in God" in lieu of this is like saying "I believe there are answers." And to me that is neither atheism nor agnosticism nor theism, but just reason. But to say "I believe in God" as a contrast to atheism is to say that there is an identifiable entity that I believe in and I can describe it for you. I simply do not see an in between metaphysical realm that leaves one saying "I believe in God but I can't tell you what it is because it's only real for me."

Last edited:
I think this point would be stronger if they conformed without the original event happening or being real. The fact that there actually was cold water in the beginning, makes it hard to troll or link it to religion..

But that doesn't matter. The later monkeys have no idea what happened. That "god" could be a natural event, or a coincidence, or whatever.

IE, A man goes up a volcano, and the volcano erupts. God is born.

God takes no pleasure in seeing people die in fighting their fellow human brothers and sisters. War is never, never, NEVER the way God wants people to follow, yet if push comes to shove, the one with the greater purpose must survive at all costs.

Then why is it that most wars are started by religious organizations?

Then why is it that most wars are started by religious organizations?

Who ever told you that???

Don't believe everything Karl Marx and the anti-religious crowd say..... in fact, don't believe MOST of it. It's simply not true.

Peace.

//

ie "subjective reality." If by definition subjective reality can never interfere with objective reality then you are simply finding a new gap for God to inhabit, albeit a much smaller one than someone like Fog. I see no evidence for your or anyone else's "subjective reality" but it would follow that if you really believed your "subjective" reality was equally as valid as its objective counterpart then you'd entertain the idea of this subjective reality being shared by others as a universal truth. The fact that you don't is pretty indicative of rationalization in my opinion.

Nothing of the sort, but now we're off in the territory of my belief, which is a place it makes no sense for us to be, as we've both stipulated that it has no bearing on yours, or vice versa.

Simply put, if all is one and the divisions illusory (for example,) the division you call you would not know it, and the division I call me could not convince you if it. Admittedly, I can put forth insufficient proofs of this, but it's silly. You can put forth a bunch of insufficient proofs of the negative, which, since I would be positing this state of affairs, would not be your job. No repeatable experiment could be set up to really prove such an assertion, so I do not assert it for public debate, nor do I desire to.

"what's true for me may not be true for you."

I'm sorry, but it is either true or it is not, and if it's true for you but not anyone else then this is usually referred to as a delusion.

You, my fine unfettered friend, have affections and preferences, and are clever enough to confine them to things of trifling or middling importance: what football team you like, who you do and do not associate with, what women are your type, whether you enjoy or do not enjoy the affects of any given drug, be it caffeine or cannabis, etc. You may even have a favorite color. You have, in fact, a number of such irrational preferences with not much better explanation than "I like it."

"I like women with both long legs and large breasts, but given the choice between the two I would prefer the one with long legs and average breasts to the one with average legs and massive knockers."

This statement may or may not be true to you. It may or may not be true to me.

But it is true for some and false for others. QED.

If you're "subjective" reality occupies a place so small and remote that it can never supercede objective reality then it is a God of the Gaps. All you are doing is taking the scope of known facts and observations and inventing a space for some other kind of truth to occupy that can by definition never be verified. Your God of the Gaps is simply much smaller and more irrelevant to your intellect than the die hard religious.

I can both believe the truth I subjectively hold, and not believe that others hold it. It has little to do with how "small" my God is, it has to do with whether my belief is that I can contain said comment in an argument.

As we've shown above, the binary logic of Aristotelian thought is not applicable to every instance. Were it applicable, there would be only one television station (or perhaps a dozen, depending on moods,) but there would be no reason for the other thousands that someone watches (just not me.) I can say unequivocally that tractor pulls are stupid (and unlike others here I have actually attended them, and have verified that they have absolutely no purpose.) I cannot, therefore, determine them to be of no interest to anybody, and so on occasion, on the Speed channel or something, they have a tractor pull. I am sure somebody could write a learned treatise on the value of a tractor pull, though it would be a stretch, given the fuel budget. But that merely proves the point: One man's subjective reality is that the tractor pull is of value, and the other's is otherwise. You are in the territory of the subjective, and the main premise -- that an assertion is true or it is not -- is inapplicable.

Trying to prove one's religion to another drags it back to a niche it should never have occupied, but did.

Historically, of course, the Western religions have all occupied that spot, so perhaps it is more accurate to call today's state of affairs the maturing of religion. At one time, religions were able to foist their versions of objective reality on the populace, making their articles of faith testable assertions in the objective sphere. Though it cost much misery and many lives, we have all at least learned from that exercise that religious assertions are not to be taken as a substitute for scientific inquiry.

The lately fashionable "God of the Gaps" analysis is an assertion that the loss of that power invalidates all religious inquiry.

The obvious fact before us is that no matter how hard we hope, pray, and wish, the Earth dates to some billions of years, not 6,000 (for instance.)

I think it was Gould who said there is no inherent contradiction of religion keeping its Rock of Ages, so long as science ages the rocks.

Name calling aside, there is no rational etiquette I can think of that involves holding back the truth in the face of bold faced lies.

Finding the middle ground just for the sake of being there isn't appropriate to this situation IMO.

There's no real goal here of finding a middle ground; but to your prior assertion... "there is no rational etiquette I can think of that involves holding back the truth in the face of bold faced lies."

I have attended many ceremonies at Christian churches (Christenings, weddings, etc.), and not once have I sprung to my feet and shouted "THERE IS NO TRINITY!!!"

Would that be your behavior in that circumstance?

How about an old lady on her deathbed, about to give up the proverbial ghost, fingering a rosary? Would you rip it from her hands and explain to her that there is no empirical evidence for an afterlife?

I can think of many reasons to accept that we allow for subjective determinations of another's personal religious views, politeness being one of them, a lack of a compelling disproof being another.

Your difficulty here is that scientific inquiry is one field of endeavor. It is useful for establishing the facts of the physical sciences. You contend a belief however that scientific inquiry is appropriate in every circumstance, and that its tenets are universally applicable. This is demonstrably false. I do not believe, in fact, that you believe this, if you think about it.

Gotta finish up later W, b/c in my world it is true that my wife is late for work, and whereas that may not be true in your world, she'll whine for a month if I dont get it in gear.

PFnV

The bottom line reason why I believe this to be not much different from any other God of the Gaps argument (despite the fact that you are clearly very tolerant and unintrusive about what you designate as a personal belief) is that you can't seem to define what this subjective reality is, and what use it is to you. How does it operate? Does it make you happy? Does it have any tangible effects on you or purpose? If the answers to these questions is "no" then it is just another version of nothing, talked about vaguely but in a way that prohibits the possibility of objective verification.

Of course there is no possibility of objective verification, for a subjectively held truth. That's what subjective means. By the way "another version of nothing," besides being perhaps a good name for a band, isn't much good here.

The state of affairs we are describing can be a motivator of purpose, a source of happiness, or for that matter, knowledge that the holder cannot prove and the questioner cannot disprove. I could believe that the world is a flat plate on the back of a giant turtle, and be quite content in that belief. I may serve dinners to the homeless based on that belief, and may in the face of questioning of that belief adequately defend said belief, although said habit of mind is symptomatic of our problem as regards religion or if you prefer, spirtuality -- it is not a subject for objective discourse, either affirmatively or as a "target."

The conversation itself is the "other version of nothing," in this regard. Take any said basket of deeply held beliefs, and confine them to the individual; they are not predictably more or less good for that individual. They are simply beliefs held subjectively.

It is my own belief that observation and experimentation is the only way to learn about the facts of the operation of the physical world.

This is fine for obtaining the facts of the physical world, i.e., what happens if I drop a slab of metal on an inclined plane, or the rate of decay of an atom. We can build many small answers this way, and we're fools to contravene said inventory of answers with prejudices, or psuedo-science invented to prove prejudices. This should also give us insight as to the types of answers available.

The method demands we assume nothing for the sake of experimentation, and advance nothing in the sphere of scientific discourse that cannot be so tested and proven or disproven.

Do you, however, truly maintain that every form of human inquiry falls into the above rubric?

I do not. I do believe that answers reached by that rubric should not be contradicted by those prejudices we use to "clothe" our relationship with the divine in conceptual language.

In summary: If you can't describe it, it serves no function and it will never be observed by another then it doesn't exist.

When a die hard religious person creates a God of the Gaps, they simply keep moving God into a different role as the observable facts of the world are explained in a way that clearly reduces his role. While you are astute enough to recognize that this process will continue ad infinitum for religious adherents (i.e. lightning isn't God, Human evolution isn't God, abiogenesis probably won't be God either), you seem to be anticipating this never ending process of retreat and inventing a whole new amorphous and unidentifiable space for God to occupy so as to avoid the painful process of having to tell the scientist who discovers the next great thing that he's really wrong, God actually did it and then slowly and embarrassingly having to accept reality. In other words you're putting him in a gap so small it's practically nonexistent.

It's not about the embarassment of the believer, and I would assume, not about stealing the ego gratification of the scientist with the next great discovery. It's about what can be known, and why kinds of knowledge there are. You assert without proof (irony intended) that there is one kind of knowledge only, that which can be tested and proven.

But the big issue I see in presenting the clarity you want, is that making the model of the divine so it's individual-sized is by nature a lie. We cannot understand the sum of all things even in a purely hylic sense; we do, however, build models, and the models can prove quite useful. In that spirit I've tried to present a signpost or two, but as I've said, I cannot argue for them. That would be nonsensical, unless you were particularly impressionable or a machine to be programmed. I have no objective facts upon which to lean. I refuse to contradict objective fact to preserve my subjective impression.

That being said, much of what you describe in terms of an honest inquiry into existence and consciousness is not what I would consider a belief in God. I have no idea how the Universe came to be, what it's nature is, hows organisms develop a consciousness or any other questions about what should be universal truths. And I'm truly interested in any answer that may come of it, even though we are likely to neither discover nor understand the answers to these questions because there is no natural pressure to do so. And in a way, I agree that if God is merely a euphemism for the answers to these questions then that is not a God of the Gaps. But to say "I believe in God" in lieu of this is like saying "I believe there are answers." And to me that is neither atheism nor agnosticism nor theism, but just reason.

Let us for the sake of argument make the statement "God is Truth."

This is where I started, Wildo. Dispense of the disproveable and accept proofs of the proveable and the possibility of future proofs, and one who believes in God essentially accepts the divine in what is. That's the most I can point you to, at least here. I like to think there's more and have a fairly organized understanding of that "more," but it would not be to the standards of my celebrated brevity here. In that you and that person both search for truth, you are complementary, not at odds.

The intellectually honest religious seeker can't just close his eyes and say "no no no that fact can't be!!!" The intellectually honest seeker of scientific knowledge cannot close his eyes and say "no no no there can be nothing not arrived at by this method!" (He can, however, say "prove it," and if he is of a mind to, he can say if it can't be tested and proved it is irrelevant to discourse. This is true. But 'irrelevant to discourse' does not equate to 'wrong.' It must be treated as wrong for the purposes of discourse or scientific understanding.)

But to say "I believe in God" as a contrast to atheism is to say that there is an identifiable entity that I believe in and I can describe it for you. I simply do not see an in between metaphysical realm that leaves one saying "I believe in God but I can't tell you what it is because it's only real for me."

I can tell you all about what's real for me, Wildo, but in that the truth is larger than the language, and that language is a distinction-making tool, I would by necessity lie in order to fit it into a model we can discuss.

To quote Jack, "You can't handle the truth!" But neither can I... a little more at any given time is about my speed ;)

The fact is, the big all-encompassing Is is bigger than our impressions or subdivisions of it. On the bright side, we're all in it, and all knowledge is in it, and new explanations of this or that physical fact do not disprove it.

If said "God" is not "Goddy" enough for you, you're hanging out with the wrong religious people.

Let's say there's a God. Do you really think with all we now know that he's a guy who physically reaches down and plays with clay? I don't. Nor am I at all convinced that our habit of dividing ourselves from Him is at all correct, when we think of the relationship. If God is indeed one, he includes all of us, and all of this.

Now, if you protest there is no reason to have such a God, I'll readily agree with you, and answer that there's no reason not to. More importantly, the burden of proof is on neither of us, because we are not trying to establish an overarching objective fact--which neither of us can do. I believe X, you believe Y, and neither of us is right from the other's point of view. Rinse, repeat.

I accept, by the way, that one can "default" to atheism or to religion, but disagree with the premise that either is proven.

When one embraces atheism, one embraces as a void, what it is useful for scientific inquiry to consider a void. That is to say, you have taken a useful feature of a method (the beginning of learning is admission of ignorance,) and embraced the void itself as the entirety of what is, not the entirety of what can be proven.

This identity has never been established -- and you protest you don't have to establish it. Fine, for your personal, subjective reality. I make no claims for God vis a vis you; you have no good argument for atheism vis a vis me. But you do have, and I do accept, that the physical world is best examined without reliance on religious interpretation of facts in evidence.

PFnV

...... But you do have, and I do accept, that the physical world is best examined without reliance on religious interpretation of facts in evidence.

PFnV

The invisible (spiritual) world is of higher frequency than this visible (physical) world, just as there are light rays that are visible and light ray frequencies that human (and various) animals cannot see. From that invisible world, the world of "cause" we get the visible world of "effect". Yet, even this world of effect there are undeniable principles of existence that are universally true, from the smallest energy particles to the largest constellations in the vast universe. And One Source is behind it all, the source of the consistent Principle of life itself: God/Yahweh/Allah/the Great Original Mind & Heart.

//

The invisible (spiritual) world is of higher frequency than this visible (physical) world, just as there are light rays that are visible and light ray frequencies that human (and various) animals cannot see. From that invisible world, the world of "cause" we get the visible world of "effect". Yet, even this world of effect there are undeniable principles of existence that are universally true, from the smallest energy particles to the largest constellations in the vast universe. And One Source is behind it all, the source of the consistent Principle of life itself: God/Yahweh/Allah/the Great Original Mind & Heart.//

This is the sort of explanation I personally would be quite uncomfortable with, except as metaphor. And when I decide it is a metaphor, I am right back where I started.

In other words, taken literally, the explanation has to be clearly explained and described. Do these high-frequency thingies therefore exist in the physical continuum, just at a "frequency" we don't get?

So if we pick up a kind of energy that's different from anything we've ever detected before, are we detecting God's thoughts, or perhaps orders, or prayers as they are translated? This is my trouble with describing one's beliefs using the "clothes" of physical sciences: if it's a literal assertion, first of all you must be ready to explain these frequencies in the observable (yet not yet observed) universe.

If anything, I've come to realize language itself is a metaphorical exercise, as our concept is not the thing in itself, and the map (of language) is not the land (of the world as we find it.)

I too come up with such metaphors, and I realize I can't trade in them between believer and non-believer (or "other"-believer.)

So when I put aside such metaphors I find myself aware that I sometimes catch a sideways glance, an inkling, the "stench" of enlightenment as some call it. I know my metaphors, and my models, and my words, and I know that which can be known and cannot be known by which means (which is not to say I know everything in each of these "categories.")

So for you, Fog, I have to say... well, as a metaphor, okay. I'm down with the "other frequencies." But it's not what it says it is. If you were to tell me the "invisible" world were in a cloud above my head, and I could not fly, it would be the same. But when humans got flight and then spaceflight, that place went away. I suppose we may be able to say that these frequencies are undetectable -- just invisible in another way -- and that is fine too. But I'm not sure the metaphor of frequencies is really any more than that, a metaphor. This is the difficulty of the ineffable: there is always someone trying to eff it. So if we speak in the parlance of the physical universe, we will find ourselves consistently effed out of existence again. In the end it's these metaphors themselves that must go. And if we have nothing left but a feeling at the end of all that, that is fine: we lose nothing but the ability to universalize that feeling (or if you like, that delusion.) To lose that ability is to lose nothing but ego and perhaps a fight on a bulletin board.

This will drive you (Wildo) nuts. Frankly, I know better than to believe in witches and goblins. I do not know better than to believe in an animating principle or a universal awareness (to use very fuzzy terms, so you don't go trying to test and disprove them.) I am quite aware of the name of the game here, vis., the name. I name it, we can fight about it. I leave it unnamed, we don't. We can't. But beyond that, I name it, and I've lied about it; if in fact what I am expressing is the oneness of all, the subdivisions inherent in linguistic assertions or mathematical ones are inherently inapplicable.

Can one still say je ne sais quois? That is what we as people of science, or religious people, should be saying all the bloody time, if you think about it.... until nous savons quois, at which point je ne sais quois moves again; again with the gaps.

But here is what you (Wildo) miss: An acknowledgment that God is one and all partakes of God, is not the same thing as just sticking God anywhere scientific knowledge hasn't reached.

The nature of subjectivity is such that we have no "objective" indication of whether there is a subjective "All", just as there is no way to distinguish a subjective self in another. Indeed, we simply assume for the sake of simplicity that each of us is a metaphor for the others. That is to say, I assume there is a "me" in you because you seem to make the noises a conscious being makes. The fact is I only have "objective" proof of my own reality, and the proof is entirely subjective to the point of solipsism (in that you may be a bot, a convenient internet explanation of the phenomenon. Or in real life, you may be one of six billion conveniently placed automata I call the human race, although my own internal subjective reality is the only one I have evidence for. We can go all cartesian, but this is pretty much inescapable until you escape subjective consciousness through some unconvincing trick of behaviorism which in any event, you don't really believe inasmuch as there is still a you to believe it or not believe it.) At the point of cartesian solipsism, we've decided that there is objective proof of the subjective and nothing else. And then of course old Renee builds it all back up again from ground zero, God and all.

So if I am willing to grant Fog and Wildo a subjective existence, with no proof but metaphor, I can quite easily see that another subjectivity may well exist that similarly I have no proof for.

Now, once again, treating subjectivity as an objective phenomenon, I have the greatest difficulty though I have considered it at length, in understanding how a certain set of phenomena acting as stimulus and reacted to in response, by a mindless biochemical conglomerate (however organized,) can become something so simple as a cat (or if I'm simply anthropomorphizing, we'll say a human being.)

However, as I've mentioned, I am open to an explanation of the coming-into-being of subjective existence.

I may take the position that any Truth we find - whether it's how electrons behave, or whether it's how leaves grow, or whatever - we've simply partaken in "naming", that is, description via our various languages, mathematical included. In so naming these phenomena, and their component phenomena, we have organized bits of reality in such a way that we can learn to manipulate them (what we use to call magic, and now call technology.) So we end up with some bioengineered corn, or the interwebs and the computer machine. Inasmuch as this naming is just a subdivision of what is and recombining as we desire, I've done nothing much through technology, and I've proven nothing much in terms of the nature of reality. I have shown only that all that is can be named and organized in such-and-such a way.

But I know nothing about its nature in the subjective sense, its "I". It may have no subjective existence; although it does not look conscious, it may all be conscious, in some sense. It may all, from the most mundane particle in the plastic case of your computer machine to the bits and pieces you call you, be part of another consciousness.

And there is no objective reason to believe that it is, or that it is not. However, I have the same problem as regards you and fog.

So I take the leap of faith, and you (Wildo) embrace the void. Neither is a particularly laudable response, although neither is second-best.

I'll not hold onto these unprovable metaphors, but I'll not be told by another trader in metaphors (no insult there, Wildo, we all do it,) that my refusal to accept competing metaphors establishes his metaphor as supreme.

These words of ours are metaphors, my friends, and these worlds of ours are models. The three of us are all looking for different things on the level of metaphor, and the same thing when you come right down to it.

Fog wants it to be the truth of a much more concrete idea of God than I am comfortable with, and you want it to be the truth of only that which can be objectively established. I don't know which I am closer to, were we to do a "lineup." But strip away the various models, and you want God or I want to be free of Him, depending on which of us is examining the other.

Again, wherever I look I find us all insisting on our miniature truths being superior to one anothers'. We all stipulate there is more to it than our miniature truths, and that we are looking for it.

Now in that the Truth, capital T, is not established to have consciousness of its own, Wildo's scientific inquiry/curiosity is all we have. That is all right, even if it renders Fog and I delusional, I mean beyond the way Fog has established himself delusional next door (sorry couldn't resist.)

And to the extent that the Truth, capital T, is not established not to have said consciousness, this maddening mysticism of ours is all we have. This too is all right; the fou is on the other foot. Though even given that Fog and I would in this case have blundered onto said awareness, we are bound to understand it through the metaphor machine of the mind, and do not know the Truth of it other than through direct experience. And then we attempt to describe it and talk about its rules as if we know. I simultaneously reject this, and at some level must engage in it.

Now then, Wildo has a habit of insisting on the non-existence of said consciousness until proof is offered.

But Wildo - to whom are you insisting this? Yourself?

It is what it is, or tathagatha, as the Buddhists say. Talk to me.

I'm here. (Swear to God).

PFnV

Don't believe everything Karl Marx and the anti-religious crowd say..... in fact, don't believe MOST of it. It's simply not true.

Peace
//

Moon brags about meeting with Truman and telling him how proud he was of him for dropping nuclear bombs on innocent women and children... pretty f...ing perverse for the leader of a religion and someone who has a vision of peace and uniting nations..

Last edited:
Moon brags about meeting with Truman and telling him how proud he was of him for dropping nuclear bombs on innocent women and children... pretty f...ing perverse for the leader of a religion and someone who has a vision of peace and uniting nations..

Rev. Moon never met Truman, he doesn't like what Truman did, calls him "Falseman, not Truman", so you are just talking out your azz .... as usual.

The only one perverse around here is somebody who routinely spreads falsehoods about others. Bearing false witness is a serious crime with a very lengthy statute of limitations. In the eternal life a lot of repentance, many tears, gnashing of teeth, etc.. Long, LONG time of repentance, much unwashed toilet smell during.

//

Just a friendly reminder to keep it civil, please. Thanks.

Just a friendly reminder to keep it civil, please. Thanks.

I'll just assume you are referring to the other poster's ".... f-ing perverse..." libelous comment. No place for those kinds of hateful words on these pages, as I have been saying for quite a long time.

Glad to see you are doing your job, 'cat.

//

Oh, I think she was also talking to you, Foggy. :rolleyes:

OOoops, so sorry, then. Carry on as you please. Later on, though, crying is NOT going to be taken seriously. No listen, no effort, no sympathy. It is what it is.

//

Oh, I think she was also talking to you, Foggy. :rolleyes:

She? I'll have to let Miss Cat know. :confused:

I'm not naming names, but just want you lot to keep it civil. Cheers.

She? I'll have to let Miss Cat know. :confused:

I'm not naming names, but just want you lot to keep it civil. Cheers.
Sorry Gomez. That cat with the hat made me think you're female for some reason a long time ago, and I've continued to hold that presumption. My bad.

Sorry Gomez. That cat with the hat made me think you're female for some reason a long time ago, and I've continued to hold that presumption. My bad.

:banned:

Just kidding!

I would have made the same assumption. When I first started out on interweb forums, I wanted something I would remember. The name of the cat who was my owner at the time seemed about right.

Peace.

//

Okay Fog, please name one war that wasn't started by a religious organization. I can't name one in the 20th century that doesn't have some religious basis.

That's sort of like "name one war not caused by cloudy weather. I can't think of one war that didn't have some cloudy weather in it."

I mean, are you going to say the Russian Revolution was a revolution against religion and therefore a religious war? And the Russian Civil War was the war of the Menshiviki on behalf of the clergy? Fulgencio Batista was a corrupt son of a *****, and so was Somoza, but the Cubans and Nicaraguans that took them down didn't do it for Jesus (or Mohammad.) I hardly think the scads of coups d'etat in Latin America involving no commies whatsoever were all religious wars by other means.

Is religion, as we've framed it, a powerful force for division and warfare? Absolutely. Are religious-group biases powerful instigators in and of themselves, even enshrined in theologies? Absolutely. But religion is far from the only driver of armed conflict. In fact, one might assign it to the place of "superstructure" with the real conflict more often being over scarce resources.

I don't trust organized religion or the clergy. I do think religious consciousness is funneled way too often into war. Some conflicts appear on their surface to be purely religious (i.e., Northern Ireland, Israel/Palestine, etc.) But scratch the surface an there's an ethnic component, a historical component, a socioeconomic component, etc. And to say all war is the outgrowth of religion is just absurd, in the face of the many wars against religion which have been just as destructive.

PFnV

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back