PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

FB Eric Kettani recalled to service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patspsycho

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Unexpected practice squad opening - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

The Patriots have an unexpected opening on their practice squad, as Eric Kettani -- the former Navy fullback -- has been called back to the USS Klakring. The news that he has been denied leave from the Navy has created a mix of emotions for him.

"I love my country and I’m happy to serve it, but I’m also happy to be a New England Patriot," Kettani said tonight.

Kettani is scheduled to fly out at 6 a.m. Friday, so he said goodbye to coaches and teammates today.

Wishing this kid all the best. God bless him.

Good luck to him. Maybe he can return to the pats again someday.

God bless him.

Seriously, though, the armed forces need to decide what they're going to do here. I don't even think it matters what policy they decide upon, but I hope they will give these young men some certainty, instead of constantly jerking their chains, as they did with Caleb Campbell of the Lions.

Hope he and his mates stay safe.

God bless him.

Seriously, though, the armed forces need to decide what they're going to do here. I don't even think it matters what policy they decide upon, but I hope they will give these young men some certainty, instead of constantly jerking their chains, as they did with Caleb Campbell of the Lions.

Thing is, the over-ridding policy is the small print that says "the needs of the US Navy....." that is in every contract. Doesn't matter what the Navy promises you, even if it's in writing, because that little codicil is in EVERY single contract the Navy signs with all of it's personnel, enlisted or officer.

In addition, every officer and enlisted incur a 5-year obligation, again regardless of anything else in their contracts. For some folks, like Nuclear-Power trainees, it's a minimum 6-year active-duty obligation.

Other services are the same. My son was just discharged from Active Duty in the US Army this past weekend. He still, however, has another 1.5-year obligation for which he can be recalled in needs be.

It's a great thing that Kettani was able to get the chance to play, but his first obligation, because of his contract and his education through Annapolis, is to the US Navy until such time as his total active-duty requirement is fulfilled.

V/R

Good luck to Kettani, he knew what was happening when he signed up. Hope he get back here someday. Hope he stays safe till then.

Godspeed Sailor.....

I read it as called to the Patriots. lol. Of course wish him well, a safe return and thanks for his service.

Thing is, the over-ridding policy is the small print that says "the needs of the US Navy....." that is in every contract. Doesn't matter what the Navy promises you, even if it's in writing, because that little codicil is in EVERY single contract the Navy signs with all of it's personnel, enlisted or officer.

In addition, every officer and enlisted incur a 5-year obligation, again regardless of anything else in their contracts. For some folks, like Nuclear-Power trainees, it's a minimum 6-year active-duty obligation.

Other services are the same. My son was just discharged from Active Duty in the US Army this past weekend. He still, however, has another 1.5-year obligation for which he can be recalled in needs be.

It's a great thing that Kettani was able to get the chance to play, but his first obligation, because of his contract and his education through Annapolis, is to the US Navy until such time as his total active-duty requirement is fulfilled.

V/R
IRR...every soldier hates those.

IRR...every soldier hates those.

I'm not a veteran, so I can't speak from experience, but I can imagine they would.

FWIW, I'm of the opinion that, from a recruitment standpoint, actually allowing pro-caliber athletes to play would help the armed forces more in the long run than having them on active duty somewhere.

Last edited:
I'm not a veteran, so I can't speak from experience, but I can imagine they would.

FWIW, I'm of the opinion that, from a recruitment standpoint, actually allowing pro-caliber athletes to play would help the armed forces more in the long run than having them on active duty somewhere.

Very good point.

That codicil is pure buggery.

It's really disgusting, how dishonest and slippery the Armed Forces are with their Soldiers, and how persistently they screw us over. You would think that that would be the ONE field in which the usual hornswoggling and general #$%&ery of the Federal Government would be stayed.

I don't know if the term is still in vogue, but back in my day we used to refer to it ~ I was Army, not Navy ~ as "The Big Green One." :lol2:

A true Patriot indeed.

Make your country proud and come back safely, Eric.

Eric thank you for serving your country.May god watch over you and your fellow sailors until the time we see you back on the field.

This is tough indeed. Yes, Kettani is an officer in the U.S. Navy, the U.S. government paid for his education, and he knows his obligations to the service. On the other hand, it seems like the armed services keep dangling leaves and exceptions for professional athletes, then taking them away. How can that kind of uncertainty be good for anyone involved?

I guess I just don't understand the policy at this point. Do athletes get exemptions that military personnel with other talents don't? E.g. I have one relative who was recruited to the Marines to play in the top Marine band. If he gets an offer from the philharmonic, how does that compare with an invitation to an NFL training camp?

This is tough indeed. Yes, Kettani is an officer in the U.S. Navy, the U.S. government paid for his education, and he knows his obligations to the service. On the other hand, it seems like the armed services keep dangling leaves and exceptions for professional athletes, then taking them away. How can that kind of uncertainty be good for anyone involved?

I guess I just don't understand the policy at this point. Do athletes get exemptions that military personnel with other talents don't? E.g. I have one relative who was recruited to the Marines to play in the top Marine band. If he gets an offer from the philharmonic, how does that compare with an invitation to an NFL training camp?

There's a specific program for pro-caliber athletes that would not apply for your relative.

There's a specific program for pro-caliber athletes that would not apply for your relative.

OK...so presumably that's a pure PR policy? There are many different skills that can make an individual valuable to our military, and "once in a life time" opportunities in many different fields.

OK...so presumably that's a pure PR policy? There are many different skills that can make an individual valuable to our military, and "once in a life time" opportunities in many different fields.

I'm going to make this argument without completely agreeing with it, but I can see the POV. Your relatives musician skills will be the same, or greater, after he serves his stint with the Marines. His skill will continue to grow through his life, until he loses the dexterity to play anymore, which wont happen for many many years.

A pro athletes skill start eroding quickly. By the time a graduate of a military academy completes their 6 year commitment, they're on the downslope of skill decay already - they'll be 27-28 years old, in a profession where that's starting to get middle aged. That's probably the reasons for the exemption - however, as we can see here, they'll pull you back 'for the good of the service' in a heartbeat if they need you, or perceive a need.

V/R

Gwedd - While I believe that every person here understands that, the issue is that the GOVERNMENT treats the military as little toys. Not as people.

If you look at the contract, the Military actually reserves the right to recall you at ANY time, regardless of whether or not you've fulfilled your commitment. I know this for a fact as during the Bush years, they recalled people who had been out for 10-15 years because they needed people (Doctors to be battle surgeons, Police officers to be MPs, etc) . Many of them went willingly, but there were a few who were ticked off. And rightfully so because the whole thing has been mismanaged by the "CICs" since it's inception.. A good CIC let's his generals run the war.. Neither has been a good one.. But that is beside the point.

The point is that the Military is jerking these kids around and it's not fair in the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back