PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Favre stating he could have been on the Pats if he had been more patient.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would have been disappointed, but intrigued at the idea of Favre coming to the Pats. Though I know he can't hack it anymore in pressure games (see his horrible play-off record in the last few years), BB and his stafff could have enough respect that Favre would thrive. But I doubt it. Favre is a gunslinger. He is also pretty immobile. He kinda reminds me of Bledsoe in that aspect.

I also don't believe he listens to coaches. I think he does his own thing and that the Patriots, in the end, wouldn't have been interested.

Agreed, IMHO, Belichick wouldn't even consider Favre for these reasons.

a)he wouldnt be part of the pats as patient as he wouldve been because its about money and the pats wouldnt have paid him 12mill. even peter king fantasized about this last week. He wouldve had to take a big paycut which he wont have. heck he asked for a raise from the jets !
b)let the nyc media get a hold of this esp if the jets lose more. he will be in trouble for talking all this openly.

EDIT:Forgot to add- BB believes in players knowing the system. look a the jets, they have changed all the playbook for favre after working on it entire offseason with pennington. BB would never do it.

Last edited:
Not going to lie. If that scenario came up after Week 1, I would have been clamoring for the Pats to sign Favre, as would most fans on this board, I would imagine. But I'm gradually feeling more comfortable with Cassel at the helm, especially after the victory against NYJ.

I'd rather have Cassell

Now the pats are underdogs again, the D are grinding out wins, no-one expects us to win. Its Patriots football!

I think Bill couldnt work with a gunslinger

its really tough to plugin a QB from another system to come in and start after week 1. there is a reason jets have had to adjust their playbook for favre even though he came 2 weeks before the season. people just assume, signing x,y z guy at QB will work immediately. it doesnt. imagine the jets who were a no huddle kinda of offense last 2 yrs and probably have worked on it during most of the training camp end up going completely different for favre.
Favre went to nyj because the owner there persuaded him with and offered him other perks like hunting etc to sell tickets. i seriously doubt mangini asked for favre.

Well, he might have been good to have as a mentor for Cassell, but you know and I know and everyone in Toledo knows no way in hell Favre would ever settle for being a backup.

No thanks, I'm OK w Cassel.

The only plus to having Favre QB this team when Brady went down is that we at least wouldn't have to put up with these absurd "is it Brady or is it Belichick?!" type plotlines, or the ridiculous notion that if the Pats succeed, it tarnishes Brady's legacy.

Cap hit - who would we have cut? Or who would we not extend (e.g. possible Wilfork) just to have Favre for one season? BAD decision for a franchise whose goal is continued competitiveness. Remember, unlike the JETS we're not desperate to sell new PSLs and lux boxes.

Secondly, Favre would have had to convince BB that despite his recent disavowal he really would study film and execute the plays as designed vs 'just slinging it' Favre and Bledsoe style, which is anathema to BB. NFW.

Yes, it would have made this season entertaining as Hell were he here. Now we can see somewhat into the Jets fans mentality. Forgive me for saying that.

Last edited:
I would have loved to have seen it just because I love it when interesting stuff happens, and wouldn't it be wild to have Favre as the Pats QB right now? Good or bad, it would have been all-consuming.

No, not really. This is TB's team and if Favre came he would make it his own. Cassell has been with the team for a while and is not a "superstar" like Favre so even if the PATS win the SB with Cassell - its ok but if they won it with Favre as QB - I would not like it. This is Brady's team and Farve shouldn't be able to come one year and get a SBowl ring courtesy of a team that has been lead by Brady......

Well, he might have been good to have as a mentor for Cassell, but you know and I know and everyone in Toledo knows no way in hell Favre would ever settle for being a backup.

Seeing as he refused to mentor Aaron Rodgers, I highly doubt it.

Even if Favre had stayed patient, I wouldn't have wanted him. There's something to be said for your QB knowing the playbook, and that's the case with anyone you bring in after TC. It's even moreso the case with Favre, who isn't even interested in learning the playbook.

No thanks, I'm OK w Cassel.

The only plus to having Favre QB this team when Brady went down is that we at least wouldn't have to put up with these absurd "is it Brady or is it Belichick?!" type plotlines, or the ridiculous notion that if the Pats succeed, it tarnishes Brady's legacy.

I agree. All im seeing with Matt having led us to 2 wins is that Toms a system QB. Sorry but WTF is a system QB? Does a system throw, make reads, scramble etc? Its just about the dumbest thing Ive ever heard

I posted the article on Jetsinsider and they flipped out. They're looking to have the thread deleted and me banned I guess. Talking about sensitive fans, sheesh. They act like I made it up or something.
Looks like you didn't get banned, just had your hand slapped.
Nobody there wanted to consider Favre's 'contender' comment.
They moved the thread and locked it up.
Favre stating he could have been on the Pats if he had been more patient. - Jets Insider.com Forums

Back to the original topic, I think it's a bit presumptuous for Favre to just assume that the Pats would want to trade for him. As others have pointed out, between his 8-figure salary, cap implications, the loss of a high draft pick, his not knowing the playbook, and Favre's 'just wing-it' style of play, it is very doubtful that the Pats would have traded for him anyways.

I agree. All im seeing with Matt having led us to 2 wins is that Toms a system QB. Sorry but WTF is a system QB? Does a system throw, make reads, scramble etc? Its just about the dumbest thing Ive ever heard

If Tom was really a "system" QB, the Patriots wouldn't have kept signing him to multi-million dollar extensions. They would have let him walk like they did Samuel, Milloy, Branch, Woody, etc, and brought in a younger, cheaper QB... you know, because the system made Brady great, so they could just whip up another HOF QB in a jiffy :rolleyes:

I know people here like to bash guys like Favre, but I love it when the players tell us what they are really thinking.
the two aren't mutually exclusive. I also like it when players aer honest (as long as it isn't stupid), and I liked it when Favre didn't throw Mangini under the bus about the three running plays when he could have.

That doesn't change the fact that Favre is not as asset to the Jets, that he will cost them more games than he wins them, and that he is a self-absorbed, narcisstic attention whore.

All that said, I'm not sure this "honesty" of Favre does not come under the category of stupid. If Favre is the leader of hte Jets, how do his followes feel about him settling for them because he felt Green Bay would refuse to trade him to a contender. He talks just like he throws picks, without regard for the likely fallout.

Last edited:
Not even close to the type of qb this team likes or needs.
Agree 100%. All the QBs BB has drafted are guys that read the field, check down, etc.

In Cleveland, BB cut Kosar for improvising plays.

Wimps.

Anyway, the funny part is that anyone watching the Favre coverage from the time he came to NY (what little of it there was :D) could see that Favre absolutely did not want to go to the Jets. If I remember correctly, he even implied as much before the trade.

His body language says it, and all of his what-ifs (stayed in Green Bay, waited until someone got hurt) say it, too.

Denial ain't just a river in Egypt, Jets fans.

I know. Really dumb. We used to hear it about Brady. Yeah, he wins a lot, but he's a system QB. Now it is, yeah, Cassel won, but only because he is managing the team? Well, if it is that easy to win by managing a team, why don't more teams do that? Why are there some many 4-12 teams year after year if all they had to do was manage the team.

It is so dumb to saythat all Cassel has to do is complete short passes and not throw interceptions. Well, DUH! You complete 70% of your passes for 6-7 yards each and don't throw picks, of course you win. The tricks is doing it :rolleyes:

Jetsinsider completely erased the thread about this topic. Guys came on there pissed off with nothing to say except censored wording, LOL. I guess the truth hurts.

I know. Really dumb. We used to hear it about Brady. Yeah, he wins a lot, but he's a system QB. Now it is, yeah, Cassel won, but only because he is managing the team? Well, if it is that easy to win by managing a team, why don't more teams do that? Why are there some many 4-12 teams year after year if all they had to do was manage the team.

It is so dumb to saythat all Cassel has to do is complete short passes and not throw interceptions. Well, DUH! You complete 70% of your passes for 6-7 yards each and don't throw picks, of course you win. The tricks is doing it :rolleyes:

ha ha ha ha...

my words EXACTLY....everyone is all "all you have to do is this". Well, then go do it if it is that easy then...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes