PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Favre stating he could have been on the Pats if he had been more patient.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patjew

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I never thought about this, but I wonder if there is a snowball's chance in hell it could have happened.

Halfway down ESPN - Sunday Countdown online: Your weekly NFL guide - NFL

On another subject, Favre admitted that he realized after Tom Brady's season-ending knee injury that had he followed NFL commissioner Roger Goodell's advice and remained patient instead of forcing the Packers into a preseason trade, he could have been signed to replace Brady and throw touchdown passes to Randy Moss. But Favre told me that one of the reasons he chose not to pursue that option was that there were teams the Packers would not trade him to under any circumstances -- such as the Minnesota Vikings -- and he did not trust that the Green Bay front office would send him to other contending teams that might lose their starting quarterback to injury such as the Patriots.

I know people here like to bash guys like Favre, but I love it when the players tell us what they are really thinking. I'm sure Favre is happy to be a starter in New York, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if he's cussed a few times and thrown a few objects around thinking about how he could have been a Patriot and gone out with a Super Bowl ring.

In all honesty, Favre's "Ill throw it in this guys area and hope he catches it" would probably work out pretty will with Moss.

I never thought about this, but I wonder if there is a snowball's chance in hell it could have happened.

I would think there would be a much greater than snowball's chance in hell.

But I understand Favre's point too. If Romo got hurt in week 1 would Green Bay trade him to Dallas? Doubtful. So what's Favre supposed to do? Sit out and hope that the first QB to go down played for an AFC team?

I know people here like to bash guys like Favre, but I love it when the players tell us what they are really thinking. I'm sure Favre is happy to be a starter in New York, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if he's cussed a few times and thrown a few objects around thinking about how he could have been a Patriot and gone out with a Super Bowl ring.

I would have loved to have seen it just because I love it when interesting stuff happens, and wouldn't it be wild to have Favre as the Pats QB right now? Good or bad, it would have been all-consuming.

In all honesty, Favre's "Ill throw it in this guys area and hope he catches it" would probably work out pretty will with Moss.

Yep, and I bet he could hook up with WWW in the slot, too.

But his crazy INTs would have us going nuts, as well.

I would have loved to have seen it just because I love it when interesting stuff happens, and wouldn't it be wild to have Favre as the Pats QB right now? Good or bad, it would have been all-consuming.

Absolutely..... The beloved quarterback on the hated team. The storylines would have kept the media in a frenzy all season.

The funny thing about the Favre offseason debacle is that the Packers are looking good while the team the got him and the team (Minn) that spent all offseason tampering with him are both in trouble.

Favre is reckless. He doesn't think about INT at all when he throws. He is a INT leader.

Not even close to the type of qb this team likes or needs.

The funny thing about the Favre offseason debacle is that the Packers are looking good while the team the got him and the team (Minn) that spent all offseason tampering with him are both in trouble.

"The Curse of Farverer"

I'm not sure New England had the $12mm cap space available in week two for Favre. They are sitting on around $5mm or so.

It would be an interesting scenario, but I'm not positive it would have happened. Would Favre re-structure? Or would the Patriots re-structure, force cap money into the future, and risk the ability to re-sign Wilfork, Hobbs, Mankins?

Of course, as soon as a player is traded, his contract becomes essentially a one-year deal. While Favre signed a 10-year contract in 2001, once he was traded, Green Bay ate all the signing bonus and up-front guarantees. The new team (Jets in this case, but in our scenario would be the Patriots) simply inherit the annual salary agreements, with zero cap penalty to releasing the player.

The downside of Favre re-structuring is he would have to know it's a one-year relationship, and then he is a 39-year old QB on the market. Could be a great final season, but an interesting situation. He's already been clear that he's not up for a clipboard job.

If the question facing Pioli is:
Surrender a draft pick (say a third+, since the terms on the Jets say something like a third for play-offs, and a first for Super Bowl, and Pats would be pretty guaranteed a play-off slot, and would be the needy partner, not Green Bay in this scenario) plus $12mm. Re-structure $7mm somehow into the future. Give up on re-signing Wilfork due to the re-structure. But keep the 2008 team on track for another terrific season.
Get Brett Favre.
-OR-
Go with a high-risk back-up who didn't look very good in the pre-season, see if you can win with the defense and special teams. Keep the core of this team together for a longer-term run.

Hmmm.
I really think the Pats would look at option two unless Favre did something like Moss, cutting $7mm off his salary.

OK, how's this:

Favre stays in GB riding the pine
Brady gets hurt
Favre traded to Pats
Pats make the Super Bowl...
and face the Packers

That would have to be the greatest storyline for a SB evah, right? Too bad.

Remember how much he wanted Moss on the Packers when we got him? I'm sure it would beat throwing to Coles and Cotchery (who aren't terrible, mind you, but nothing close to the weapons the Pats have).

I don't think we would have had the cap space for him anyways.

On another subject, Favre admitted that he realized after Tom Brady's season-ending knee injury that had he followed NFL commissioner Roger Goodell's advice and remained patient instead of forcing the Packers into a preseason trade, he could have been signed to replace Brady and throw touchdown passes to Randy Moss.

Favre makes real life decisions just like he plays the QB position...he's not Patient! That's why his Interspetion record will NEVER be broken. I would take a cautios mistake free Matt Cassel over a Gun slinger Int machine Brett Favre ten of ten times. I think BB would too...The Jets ain't going anywhere and neither is Favre.:banned:

Last edited:
I would have been disappointed, but intrigued at the idea of Favre coming to the Pats. Though I know he can't hack it anymore in pressure games (see his horrible play-off record in the last few years), BB and his stafff could have enough respect that Favre would thrive. But I doubt it. Favre is a gunslinger. He is also pretty immobile. He kinda reminds me of Bledsoe in that aspect.

I also don't believe he listens to coaches. I think he does his own thing and that the Patriots, in the end, wouldn't have been interested.

I like Favre but his gunslinger mentality would drive Belichick up a wall. Favre is not as bad as Bledsoe was at using his abilities to force a bad pass, but he does have a habit of doing it in games. Favre adds mobility to his arm, Bledsoe was a statue so pass defenses would sit and wait. Belichick would have to be confident Favre would conform to a game plan, and I just could not see that happening.

That ignores the additional, cascading effect on the roster for a one year addition in the form of salary cap, lost draft picks and potential lost free agents. Unlike New York, there would be a chance of losing a first round pick if Favre could adapt to the Patriots offense.

Interesting scenario if he came here, but no way I see it happening even if Green Bay would have allowed it.

Favre told me that one of the reasons he chose not to pursue that option was that there were teams the Packers would not trade him to under any circumstances -- such as the Minnesota Vikings -- and he did not trust that the Green Bay front office would send him to other contending teams that might lose their starting quarterback to injury such as the Patriots.[/I]

Ouch...if you're a Jets fan -- no, make that a Jets player -- it has to sting for your "savior" QB to tell a reporter that he agreed to join your team only because he knew he wouldn't be allowed to join a contender!

why would you even think Favre is a good idea?? we alread had Brett Favre on this team and his name was Drew Bledsoe. Guy with a Fantastic Arm and couldnt read a defense if it stood next to him with an instruction booklet. Cassel is in the system for his 4th year and is one of TB's best friends on the team we will be fine and I dont think BB would want him anywhere near this team throwing picks unless its to his DB's

Last edited:
I posted the article on Jetsinsider and they flipped out. They're looking to have the thread deleted and me banned I guess. Talking about sensitive fans, sheesh. They act like I made it up or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes