PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Favre is Rooting for the Ravens This Weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nobody's saying he's an awful QB because he's 9-10 in the playoffs.

It's a fact to consider when you are trying to place Manning somewhere alongside Brady, Montana, Favre, Unitas, Starr, Baugh, Marino, Elway, Bradshaw, Young, and others in the pantheon of all-time greats, though.

Maybe not. But some folks come awfully close to suggesting that and that is why I reacted. It's as maddening as people dissing Brady for not winning his fourth and saying that the fact that Montana never lost an NFL championship game automatically makes him superior to Brady, despite Brady's getting to five.

Let's summarize this in a snappy sentence:

This weekend Peyton Manning could become the most frequent LOSER in NFL playoff history

and Tom Brady could become the most frequent WINNER in NFL playoff history.

:rocker:

Why isn't this good enough for people to think Brady is better than Manning all-time?

i didn't say that. what i said was that you can't dis Peyton for losing more Playoff games than most QB's could ever dream of contesting. how he got there is a separate discussion.

Of course you can, and how he got there is an important part, because Manning defenders like to pretend that Manning was carrying garbage teams all the time.

Fair question.

If you make the playoffs a dozen times (more than any QB in history), but don't win a game seven (and hopefully eight) of those times, should the emphasis be on the accomplishment of getting there or on all the losing? Or, should it, as I believe, be on both?

Context, in the sense of how the question is phrased, will be vital, IMO. If I'm comparing Manning to Brady, making the playoffs is all but meaningless as a starting point. If I'm comparing Manning/Brady to say, Michael Vick, making the playoffs is well worth looking at.

Just reading Schefter's 10 Spot for this weekend:

Nothing about the potential tying of the record for losses.

And yes, you do have to be good to get in a position to lose a playoff game. So among the frequent playoff contenders, winning pct. is worth a look. Check out this sortable table. Click percent twice to sort by pct., best to worst, and keeeeeeeeeep scrollllllllinnnnng til you find Peyton.

HaHa !!!, Not only is he behind Brady, but he is also behind Bledsoe, Eason and Babe Parilli !

Of course you can, and how he got there is an important part, because Manning defenders like to pretend that Manning was carrying garbage teams all the time.

we'll just have to disagree on your first point, since the data show that the AFC South and the AFC East don't look a whole lot different over the last ten years based on the data I gave in my response, but which you don't address. your second point, in the case of our dialogue, is a strawman, since I never argued that and therefore won't address it now.

Last edited:
Matt Ryan will eventually break the record

What a joke...

gregg rosenthal‏@greggrosenthal

Peyton Manning 43 All Pro votes. Rodgers 4, Brady 3

What a joke...

gregg rosenthal‏@greggrosenthal

Peyton Manning 43 All Pro votes. Rodgers 4, Brady 3

The only downside of a Broncos loss today: The public wailing and mourning and excuse making by national media types would be unbearable. Well, OK, I could bear it ... but it would be over the top.

BTW if the Pats win this weekend Brady will have the highest winning % of any QB with more then 10 playoff starts (B Starr BTW started 10 playoff games and had a 9-1 record).

we'll just have to disagree on your first point, since the data show that the AFC South and the AFC East don't look a whole lot different over the last ten years based on the data I gave in my response, but which you don't address. your second point, in the case of our dialogue, is a strawman, since I never argued that and therefore won't address it now.

I addressed the divisional aspects already, and the second point is by no means a strawman. You got your dander up in this thread for no good reason. Manning's going for the record for playoff losses. It is what it is. Pretending that such a record doesn't have negative connotations for a supposedly elite QB doesn't change the fact that it does.

Last edited:
I addressed the divisional aspects already, and the second point is by no means a strawman. You got your dander up in this thread for no good reason. Manning's going for the record for playoff losses. It is what it is. Pretending that such a record doesn't have negative connotations for a supposedly elite QB doesn't change the fact that it does.

My point is that the final book won't be written on Manning until he retires. The book on Elway until his last two seasons was, "Really good QB, but lost in each of his three SB's." The book on Manning right now is something like, "Really good regular season QB who can't get the job done in the postseason." Final version of that book: TBD. It's the failure to realize that there is a "TBD" that got my dander up. And, I think that the Elway/Manning comparison played an important role in Peyton's choosing Denver over other, more logical (i.e., Dome or warm weather) venues.

[PS: Not to :deadhorse:, but, unless i missed something, you said that Manning was aided by "horrible" competition in his Division, whereas the record of the Colts' Divisional opponents over the decade is about the same as the Pats'. So, if that's "addressing" it...OK.]

Media people will have to delay their Manning gets to the conversation of GOAT for another year, or if they want to be objective...permanently.

Ok, but I really like this latest chapter.

maybe the last chapter. he's "year to year" with his contract and he didn't look like he was ready to come back for more at the end of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back