PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Favre in MVP discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
you know, i hope they don't screw him out of this.

Everyone has always tried to find ways to bring down what Brady has accomplished or try and find excuses for why he is so good.

It's like everyone's afraid to admit that he's the best.

But if they screw him and give it to Favre it wouldn't be that bad for us as fans. Brady would be even more motivated to duplicate this season.

They will do everything possible to do just that. The mediots hate this team, and what's more, they love Favre. Almost to a man. It's strange, because he's so overrated, but they love thim anyway.

this kind of reminds of of a couple years ago when Roger Clemens was competing for the Cy Young award. Carpenter of St. Louis deserved it more, but a lot of people were rooting for the old dog to win it an eighth time. In the end, Carpenter rightfullly won.

So really, people are just rooting for Favre to get it. It's easy to root for the old timer. It has less to do with him actually deserving it.

Last edited:
I was surprised to discover that the NFL does not have clearly defined criteria for the MVP award. So, it is, to some extent, left to each voter to decide whether it goes to the player who meant the most to the success of a very successful team or to the player whose overall quality of play was the greatest. In recent years, it certainly seems to have gone to the player who met the "overall quality of play" criterion.

So, four thoughts:

1) If "overall quality of play" is the criterion, then, barring a season-ending injury or an unimagineable finish to the season, it is impossible that the award goes to anyone but Brady.

2) If the criterion (unfairly IMO) shifts to "meant the most to the success of a very successful team," then I guess those who want to punish the Patriots' organization for Spygate would argue that Favre has fewer weapons than TB and would try to give the award to him.

3) However, while I know that it's impossible to underestimate the media's dishonesty and lack of ethics, nonetheless I just don't see the media cooking up a reason to deny Brady the MVP, no matter how much they might profess to hate BB and the Patriots organization, especially, as now seems likely, Brady breaks Manning's single season TD record and enables Moss to break Rice's record.

4) The media love a "horse race," so they're creating one by suggesting that Favre or Moss or Romo might get the award.

If Brady shatters the record for TD, completion %, and passer rating, he should be the unanimous MVP winner. How can the player having the best season any player has ever had NOT be the MVP? It just isn't logical. Then again, many people in this country seem to be allergic to logic...

There is NFW Farve should, to this point, be considered for the MVP over Brady. Brady is playing practically PERFECT at his position and as a result, his team is in the conversation as the GOAT. Sure Moss/Welker, et all certainly have been right there with him, but BRADY is the straw that stirs this drink.

Even the Mediots that vote can't ignore that. Don't get me wrong, Farve is doing great, and I'm happy for him, but he ain't Brady.

I don't mind Farve or any other player having a MVP type year being in teh discusion. But being in the discusion and winning it are two different things.

Brady is having BY FAR the greatest season of any QB in the history of the NFL.

Favre is having a run-of-the-mill borderline MVP season.

It would make a nice story for Favre to win one at his age, but it would be flat out stupid to pick Favre over Brady.

If Brady didn't get it for having the season he had last year with the weapons he had last year, then Favre shouldn't get it this year. No way. Not with Brady breaking every record imaginable.

If Favre gets the MVP it'll be major inconsistency on the voters' part.

I was listening to some old Moron on chicago radio yesterday who didn't say that Favre had a chance...

He said that Favre was going to win it. His main reason was that this could be Favre's last year.

That's a good example of how the V in MVP gets twisted into something else. I wish they could straighten this out. Sentiment has its place but it should be near the bottom of the list of criteria, not the top. That guy had it ass-backward.

Let's not slip into the habit of defining the MVP for football the way we define it for BASEBALL, which is what you're describing.

If Tom Brady continues on, as is, it would be RIDICULOUS for him not to win the MVP, and unanimously.

It would be. I think it's Favre's bad luck to have had a good year when somebody else is having a monster year. Monster year must win. Good year must lose. It's the law.

Now when he is going to break all the record books they are trying to use this as an EXCUSE to steal Brady's best chance at an MVP award.

To me the record books should not be used as the main criterion for an MVP vote. Speaking strictly as a purist (only for the sake of conversation) I would have to say that the guy that is more valuable to his team should win it. If he broke records then he gets a tie-breaker, but to me it has nothing to do with records.

If purists ran this vote then Tom would have won it in '01 and '03. Especially in '01 he literally resurrected a losing team that had just lost its franchise QB. How the hell do you get more valuable than that? He got stiffed by purist definitions of the V in MVP.

But that is how they do it. So that's why he wins it this time without much competition.

So really, people are just rooting for Favre to get it. It's easy to root for the old timer. It has less to do with him actually deserving it.

I think that is a severe case of sentimentality that would drive that vote, and it won't really put a dent in Tom's number of votes.

Although there may be religious right wing fanatics out there that would love to throw an "anti-cheating" vote into it. Kind of stupid, but who knows?

Exactly. In the discussion.

No that lipless cretin should not be anywhere near the discussion it should be a unanimous runaway to Brady. Now if you could kindly remove your lips from his rear end we can move on. Lose Brady we lose every remaining game Anybody can throw 50 times a game and rack up the yards. Favre should retire for real he is the most narcissistic punk that ever lived.

I think that is a severe case of sentimentality that would drive that vote, and it won't really put a dent in Tom's number of votes.

Although there may be religious right wing fanatics out there that would love to throw an "anti-cheating" vote into it. Kind of stupid, but who knows?
As a religious right-wing fanatic myself I dont exactly equate taping signals with any crime against God. And from now on when you want to spew hate at conservatives go to the political forum with NEM this is not the place for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back