PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Favorite special teams play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill B.

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
To go with the other thread about favorite offensive and defensive plays, we shouldn't neglect special teams:

Vinatieri lining up for a kick against the Rams in 2004 and passing the ball to Troy Brown waiting in the end zone for an easy TD. Everubody was fooled on that one.

Hard to remember all the plays over hte years but this one sticks out above all else for no other reason than nobody else had done it for decades: Drop kick extra point by Doug Flutie

Called cheap gimmick and a way to make a name for himself one last time but one heck of a way to go out!

Last edited:
Again first that comes to mind...

Ellis Hobb's kick off return against the Raiders last year, after they had just returned one. It just felt like anything you can do, we can do better :)

'01 AFCC game. the Blocked FG return for the TD. Think it was Troy pitching it and J.R Redman or T-Buck.

Snowbowl kick. A lot of great plays come to mind, but this was the best kick in NFL history. Period.

Fluties drop kick has to be among the top special teams play of ALL the Patriots ST plays - That was fun and is my favorite.

To go with the other thread about favorite offensive and defensive plays, we shouldn't neglect special teams:

Vinatieri lining up for a kick against the Rams in 2004 and passing the ball to Troy Brown waiting in the end zone for an easy TD. Everubody was fooled on that one.

Troy Brown's Super Bowl 39 Kick return - Wasn’t a TD, but man I was fired up.

Of course Adams kicks to win a Super Bowl and Snow Bowl are NFB's.

'01 AFCC game. the Blocked FG return for the TD. Think it was Troy pitching it and J.R Redman or T-Buck.

If I remember correctly, I think it was Antwan Harris.

My favoite ST play was the one I chose as my favorite offensive play - the intentional safety in Denver... brilliant.

Last edited:
My favorite special teams play is rather obscure, but it was my first exposure to Troy Brown (and first live Patriots game).

This was way back in 1994 in a December home game vs. the Marshall Faulk Colts (sean dawkins, tony siragusa, et al).

Troy Brown was wearing #86 at the time. Bledsoe had thrown 3 interceptions in the 1st half (the last being a 90yrd pick-6 by Ray Buchanon). SO, beginning of the 2nd half, Troy Brown sparks the team with a near punt-TD return - it was very similar to the 2001 AFCCG TD return - starts right, cuts up the middle and almost broke it, just caught from behind.. Turned the game around and the Pats went on to win 28-13.

Lonie Paxton's hike off the crossbar for a safety against Denver. Absoluty one of the most brilliant stratagies ever which eventually won us the game.

I don't know how many times I screamed at the TV "What the hell was that?!?". I don't question the genius anymore.

Brandon Mitchell blocked it,Troy picked it up and lateraled it to Harris for the TD

We have bingo.

And it wasn't even close for me to pick that one as my favorite.

In retrospect Vinateri's Snow Bowl regulation FG was even more significant -- but who knew?

My favorite all time special teams play was in the playoff game vs the Raiders during that magical run to the Patriots first Super Bowl when the Patriots stripped a Raider player of the ball during a punt (or maybe a kick off, memory is hazy at the moment) and it was recovered in the end zone for a touchdown by Jim Bowman.

I remember going nuts over that one with about a dozen friends I was watching the game with, good times; we all ended up flying down to Miami to see the AFCCG in person, the "squish the fish" game..............

the kick in the snow

Hard to remember all the plays over hte years but this one sticks out above all else for no other reason than nobody else had done it for decades: Drop kick extra point by Doug Flutie

Called cheap gimmick and a way to make a name for himself one last time but one heck of a way to go out!

Fluties drop kick has to be among the top special teams play of ALL the Patriots ST plays - That was fun and is my favorite.

Flutie converts first drop kick since 1941 championship (Video)
YouTube - Doug Flutie Drop Kick w/sound

more info:
Flutie converts first drop kick since 1941 championship - NFL - ESPN

My favorite all time special teams play was in the playoff game vs the Raiders during that magical run to the Patriots first Super Bowl when the Patriots stripped a Raider player of the ball during a punt (or maybe a kick off, memory is hazy at the moment) and it was recovered in the end zone for a touchdown by Jim Bowman.

I remember going nuts over that one with about a dozen friends I was watching the game with, good times; we all ended up flying down to Miami to see the AFCCG in person, the "squish the fish" game..............

It was a kick-off, and Mosi Tatupu put the hit on that knocked the ball loose. IIRC, half the coverage team was piled up on the loose ball.

The game-winning FG in the 2001 SB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye