Welcome to PatsFans.com

Favorite Singer ?

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by BelichickFan, May 16, 2006.

1. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +530 / 13 / -14

#24 Jersey

So who's yours ?

Mine are :

For pure quality, Freddie Mercury. Great vocal qualities and could seemingly sing any style he wanted with ease.

My favorites are Axl Rose and Bruce Dickinson. Say what you want about Axl, and I know he's very nasally, he's incredibly unique and, at his best, has awesome range. The new GnR CD should be out this year, finally, and I can't wait. Axl has been gone too long. Bruce is somewhere in between, more technically sound than Axl but a little more or the kick ass, not gonna take sh!t from anyone attitude than Freddie. He's lost a little range over the years but still sounds great both on disc and live.

2. dryheat44

dryheat44 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +78 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

I love it when Gregg Allman gets his bluesy schwerve on. Makes me want to drink some bourbon and get into some trouble.

And Dicky Barrett's rasp.

As far as the most talented vocalists go, I think Seal, Sting, Sarah Brightman, Sade. I think Rob Monahan from Train has a phenomenal voice, but unfortunatley the band went from kick-ass to unlistenable practically overnight.

I'm certainly shorting the great opera singers, but I don't know enough about the genre to speak intelligently on it.

Last edited: May 16, 2006
  3. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +530 / 13 / -14

#24 Jersey

I was really talking about metal/rock/pop types as that's probably what most of us listen to.

4. Alk

Alk In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Mike Patton and Kurt Cobain in that order.

5. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +530 / 13 / -14

#24 Jersey

Cobain ? Ick - of course most would say that about Axl too :)

I like Patten with Faith No More, his other stuff is a little too weird for me. Very talented guy though.

6. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +424 / 12 / -26

I tend to be eclectic and dependent on my mood can be any of the following:

Hendrix
    Johnny Rivers
    George Harrison
    Judy Collins
    Emmy Lou Harris/Mark Knopfler,(on the road running) if you have not heard them together, recommend it highly
    Robert Plant
    Country Joe McDonald
    Sara McGaughlin(spelled wrong)
    Eric Clapton

7. bakes781

bakes781 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

My favorite male vocalists: Eddie Vedder & Chris Cornell

My favorite female vocalists: Tori Amos & Bjork

8. Hendrix

Hendrix On the Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

well as a trained singer for the past several years, i'll say, for rock at least:

-----Jeff Buckley => 4 octave range, most versatile voice ever next to Mike Patton (have him on record singing 30 different styles including 2 opera songs and a Pakistani Qawwali song....but then he'd go to metal, punk, soft rock, folk, etc)...son of the late Tim Buckley. Hits an Eb6 in an australian b-side song. Has a wall dedicated to him at the R&R HOF (he drowned in 1997).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NApiP4PnQg8&search=jeff buckley

-----Roy Khan (Conception, Kamelot) => The guy is a trained opera singer from Norway. If his band wasn't melodic metal, he'd be the next Freddie Mercury, as he's just as good, if not better. Has a lot of cool ballads though. The guy is better live than in studio even, and should absolutely be on broadway as a lead role. Close to a 4 octave range.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoiAFy38Bg4
    http://kamelot.com/audiovideo_en_mephisto.htm

-----Miljenko Matijevic(Steelheart) => The guy has been a choirboy since age 9, and this is what it can make you do. The guy is one of the most amazing singers I've ever heard in any genre. He can hit the A one octave above high A w/o falsetto.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ44v-wJg6Q
    That's actually not falsetto, hard to explain, but not falsetto anytime. He goes sharp 3 times in this song, but recovers nicely. It's a live performance and amazing.

-----Geoff Tate(Queensryche) => Was trained in opera too (aunt was a pro opera singer too). Amazing amazing amazing stuff usually.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNp8kVN2Ae0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCALX2gkpU4

Other favorites:
    all the guys from CSN(Y), Layne Staley(Alice in Chains), Mike Patton(Faith No More), Jimmy Gnecco (Ours).....and of course Freddie Mercury.

I also forgot Babyface, Stevie Wonder, and Jackie Wilson

9. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +530 / 13 / -14

#24 Jersey

Hendrix, have you ever heard Daniel Gidenlow of Pain of Salvation ? He's one of my favorites with great range and emotion.

10. Hendrix

Hendrix On the Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

heard a few songs..not bad at all. Although this one guy who introduced me to him tried to tell me he was better than Roy Khan..ha ha

11. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +530 / 13 / -14

#24 Jersey

I actually like him better than Khan. Totally different, much more rough and raw but Hkan is too silky smooth for my liking. I've never heard his stuff with Conception but while I like Kamelot something about them just doesn't do it for me.

12. Turd Furguson

Turd Furguson Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Chris Cornell

Layne Staley

Scott Weiland

Freddie Mercury

Ray Charles

Johnny Cash

13. Hendrix

Hendrix On the Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

true true...i guess since i'm trained classically, i like the smoother operatic stuff more. His stuff w/conception isn't THAT much different, although the music is. Actually in a few songs he sounds exactly like Geoff Tate, it's odd, but pretty cool.

Conception's last album though was awesome.

14. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +530 / 13 / -14

#24 Jersey

My favorite singer of that style is Andre Matos of Viper/Angra/Shaman. I know he's too squeaky high for some people but I love the emotion in his voice.

15. Hendrix

Hendrix On the Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

have you heard Miljenko Matijevic from Steelheart? He actually got hit by a lighting truss in 1991 and lost the ability to speak for 5 years, but recorded another album in 2000 and did most of the vocals for the movie Rockstar w/Mark Wahlberg.

He's also working on a solo album, but this song was from 2000, and I love it:
    http://steelheart.com/media/adwns/electric_chair_matijevic.mp3

not like steelheart's earlier stuff, but i love this song

16. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +530 / 13 / -14

#24 Jersey

Not bad at all, I'd never heard him before.

17. Boston Boxer

Boston Boxer U.S. Air Force Retired PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +65 / 5 / -1

#75 Jersey

I listen to mostly metal...Metalica, Korn, God Smack, System of the Down, Slipknot and the like. But by far my favorite singer is Freddie Mercury. Very powerful, clear vocals

18. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +530 / 13 / -14

#24 Jersey

For those of you who like Freddy, there's a couple of semi soundalikes who are very good :

Rough Silk's "Circle of Pain" and "Mephisto". The singer on these discs sounds VERY much like Freddy and the songwriting is pretty darn good too - heavier than Queen though. They have some later CDs that have a different singer.

Metal Majesty "This is Not a Drill" and "2006". Singer Valencia sounds like Freddy a lot in the mid to upper ranges although he doesn't have quite the power down low. Also I don't like the songwriting quote as much as Rough Silk's.

Those guys are the closest you'll find to Freddy - unfortunately the Rough Silk singer left and did some electronica B.S. last I heard.

19. Coast2CoastPatsFan

Coast2CoastPatsFan Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Typically my favorite vocalists are those with a blend of style, technique, and good vocal range. For hard rock/metal I like Ronnie James Dio and Bruce Dickinson. Freddie Mercury quickly comes to mind. In his prime I really enjoyed Greg Lake of Emerson, Lake & Palmer. His clean, choir boy vocals fit really well into their classically-influenced progressive rock music. I also like early Rod Stewart (Jeff Beck Group, early solo material).......equally adept at gritty blues, rocking, or performing a ballad. He really lost me however when he turned to disco.

I also like a lot of the legendary jazz singers such as Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellington, Ella Fitzgerald, Billy Holiday, etc. And being the blues lover that I am I always have an affection for someone who can pull off the gritty, soulful vocals required for blues music. Such as female blues legends Koko Taylor and Etta James. I love the music, and vocals, of B.B. King and Johnny Winter. Nothing like that guttery growl that only Johnny can do. Lots of feeling and soul going on there. And I'm with Dryheat in that I really appreciate Gregg Allman's soulful, bluesy singing. Sticking with soulful vocals, R&B legends Ray Charles and Aretha Franklin really stand out to me.

For contemporary rock, Layne Staley and Chris Cornell are exceptional. I love Layne's usage of dissonance and atonality in his music.......not easy to pull off. Cornell is a great rock screamer. And speaking of rock-n-roll screams, a primal, bottom-of-the-gut rock-n-roll scream certainly has its place in music. A few examples would be John Lennon in "Revolution", Ian Gillan in "Child in Time", and Roger Daltry in "We Won't Get Fooled Again".

20. Hendrix

Hendrix On the Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Not even close to his best vocals..not even CLOSE.

Seriously, listen to this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ44v-wJg6Q

actually had my pro opera friend listen to it..none of it's falsetto, so i got my verification haha