PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Favorite Plays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oswlek

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
On another board I was discussing one of my favorite moments during a NE game. I thought that I would ask everyone what some of their most cherished plays or moments are.

Here is mine.

My favorite play was a pass play to Givens just before Antowain Smith's 4th quarter touchdown run in SB 38. As much crap is NE got for their "extracuricular contact" on Indy the game before, Carolina DBs/LBs were much worse against Philly. The "star" of the Philly/Cats game was a terrible CB name Ricky Manning, Jr., who had one decent int and two "in the right place at the right time" ints. (Side not, Manning has since been relegated to the bench, so it appears as if Carolina coaches agree with my assessment.)

OK, so Manning tries to jam Givens at the line, and of course he is grabbing handfuls of jersey while doing it. What does Givens do? He literally picks Manning Jr up and throws him 4 yards out of bounds! Then he runs down the sideline wide open until Brady thows him the ball. Awesome, awesome play. I am smiling now just thinking about it.

So what say you? I realize that game winning FGs or TDs are always popular, but I am hoping to see a few more obscure examples.

A favorite play, Josh Miller putting the ball inside the 5 and Daniel Graham downing it against Jacksonville. I just love seeing precise execution in a game.

my favorite could of been the Ben Watson catch and run during the Jags game

Deion waving goodbye to the steelers d on the reverse in the AFCCG.

Bruschi RIPPING away the ball from Rhodes in the Indy game a couple years back. Never saw that before. It was pure heart. I'll always remember that play. It's also one of the reasons I'll always love Bruschi.

The bomb to Troy Brown to win the Miami game. In Miami, in OT in 2003. I think we were 2-2 at the time, and Miami was 3-2, it was a huge play in a big regular season game. We never looked back after that game. I think it was the first game of our 15 game winning streak to win it all in 2003.

"64-Max, All In"...Brady's pass to Troy that setup the winning kick in SBXXXVI.

ted

skri65 said:
Bruschi RIPPING away the ball from Rhodes in the Indy game a couple years back. Never saw that before. It was pure heart. I'll always remember that play. It's also one of the reasons I'll always love Bruschi.

Absolutely great, great play. Quite right -- the ultimate Bruschi play.

A Grahambo catch in the same game -- two Colts climbing all over him, still makes the catch for the first down, penalty declined!

Deion's comeback game against KC, making the catch and then jinking in for the last dozen yards for the score. :(

Givens' catch against the Broncos on MNF to complete the comeback after the intentional safety.

A close second is the opening bomb to Terry Glenn in the first quarter of the "fog bowl" vs the Steelers during the SB31 run.

Lastly, in a game vs the Steelers in December 97, Drew overthrew a ball intended for a wr but Megget came in to save the day with an amazing leaping grab. He came out of nowhere. They went on to lose in OT but it was a great catch!

scott99 said:
The bomb to Troy Brown to win the Miami game. In Miami, in OT in 2003. I think we were 2-2 at the time, and Miami was 3-2, it was a huge play in a big regular season game. We never looked back after that game. I think it was the first game of our 15 game winning streak to win it all in 2003.

I think it was actually game number 3 of the run, but a great one nonetheless. Every now and then I see that highlight with Geno and Gil making the call; three years later and it still brings a little chill.

tedster822 said:
"64-Max, All In"...Brady's pass to Troy that setup the winning kick in SBXXXVI.

ted

While I had a feeling that NE was going to win that game, that was the moment that I knew. Great call.

Does anyone remember the young Troy Brown making a crucial catch on his back against the Giants in the mid 90's? I'm pretty sure that was part of a 20-0 comeback that spurred NE on into the playoffs.

Adam Vinatieri kick in the snow, last game at Foxboro against Oak + again Adam Vinatieri winning kick in the first winning Super Bowl against Stl

2 beautiful moments that i will never forget

Oswlek said:
On another board I was discussing one of my favorite moments during a NE game. I thought that I would ask everyone what some of their most cherished plays or moments are.

Here is mine.

So what say you? I realize that game winning FGs or TDs are always popular, but I am hoping to see a few more obscure examples.

Speaking of Givens, my least favorite play was the audible quick screen pass that he dropped in the game against Denver. If he made that play, the complexion of the game would have changed competely.

My favorites are:

Ben Watson sprints 140 yrds and nails Champ Bailey
Daniel Graham TE screen against Atlanta
The Brady screen pass to Troy Brown who throws a 40 yrd bomb to Patten against the Colts.

Garin Veris sacking Marino in the 85 AFCC (great audio as well, Marino shouting "Oh, sh!t!")

Mosi forcing the fumble on a kickoff vs the Raiders, 85 playoffs

Any Peyton Manning sack

Dave Meggett stealing a pass (96 playoffs vs Pitt?)

Two of my favorites that haven't been mentioned yet:

* Givens' 45-yard reception v. the Steelers in the AFCGG. It's about the only time I can remember saying "da*n" three times during a single play--once at just how much time Brady had to throw (nobody on the Steelers D was even close), the second for the absolutely perfect pass he threw, and the third when, immediately after Givens caught the ball, Polamalu absolutely leveled him . . . but Givens held on to the ball.

* Mike Vrabel's déjà vu TD against the JEST last year. Always great seeing one LB humiliate another. :D

scott99 said:

YEAH! I was at a huge annual football party (150+ people) and you could have heard a pin drop when Brady launched that bomb. Then, when Brown caught it, the place erupted and everyone was jumping up and down...Madness!!! :rocker:

But my all time favorite play was Willie McGinest's stop on fourth down, goal line with no time left in Indy. I LOVE to see the Colts fail year-after-year-after-year.

Last edited:
scott99 said:

This is mine as well. I was at the game, in the far endzone that Troy was running towards. Brady threw the ball so high and deep that it looked like it was intended for ME way up there at the top cap of the stadium (I was literally one row from the highest seats in the house). As Troy ran into the endzone the THOUSANDS of Patsfans that had gone to the game all lept to their feet and threw their hands up to the heavens and cheered so loud that it felt like WE were the home team. It's such a good memory that the further away it gets the more emotion gets attatched to it. I teared up a little just remembering it. Awesome, awesome moment.

1985 v Miami - Tatupu - Grogan - Hawthorne.
13-3 down, 11:42 left, 4th and one from 28 yard line. Steve Grogan handed off to Mosi Tatupu, who ran toward the center of the line, then turned and pitched the ball back to Grogan. Grogan then lofted a perfect pass to reserve tight end Greg Hawthorne for the touchdown.
Patriots regained possession on their own 20, trailing 13-10. Grogan marched the Patriots 80 yards in 10 plays, covering the final yard himself to cap a 17-13 victory.

2001 v Pittsburgh Brown - Antwan Harris
Harris took a lateral from Troy Brown following a blocked field goal and ran 49 yards for a touchdown against the Pittsburgh Steelers in the AFC Championship game.

Both these plays had me on my feet cheering.

Last edited:
scott99 said:

just a spectacular play, especially when you consider that the pats nearly lost when the Phins missed two field goals late in the game (1 blocked the other wide right)

brdmaverick said:
just a spectacular play, especially when you consider that the pats nearly lost when the Phins missed two field goals late in the game (1 blocked the other wide right)

On the block I thought the game was turning into something special. On the inexplicable wide right I was stunned. They had a second chance at a game winner and couldn't put it through. Then on, I believe, the very next play came the bomb. It was the first Pats game I'd ever gotten to see live and I was thrilled it ended as it did.

On the inverse side - I was at that Monday night implosion in 2004 too. That was unpleasant.

Brownfan80 said:
On the block I thought the game was turning into something special. On the inexplicable wide right I was stunned. They had a second chance at a game winner and couldn't put it through. Then on, I believe, the very next play came the bomb. It was the first Pats game I'd ever gotten to see live and I was thrilled it ended as it did.

On the inverse side - I was at that Monday night implosion in 2004 too. That was unpleasant.

What was amazing about the missed FG, is that Chambers caught a 30 yard (or so) pass that was the key play on Miami's drive. Or maybe, instead of "caught" I should say that he "stepped out of bounds and then did not get either of his feet in bounds when he came down with the ball". An official was standing right there and he still didn't see it. I was flabbergasted at the time.

Oh, and on a different note, Brownfan. I watched BB's breakdowns on Comcast On Demand yesterday. One of the plays was Faulk's TD catch. He did motion, in fact he motioned all the way from the backfield to out wide. The CB originally went out wide with him, but the LB called him over to the slot receiver and took his place outside. I guess I am batting .500. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back