Welcome to PatsFans.com

Favorite Movie that was a box offic bust

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by PATSNUTme, Jun 17, 2006.

1. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +183 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

Before I go out and mow my lawn, I was wondering if a thread of good movies that were box office failures would be fun.

I like movies that are historical drama's. They are set in times that have an interest to me. So here is my list of "recent" movies that I've seen on dvd/vid that didn't make it at the box office.

1. The Great Raid- very good story about freeing POW's in WWII.
    2. Ride with the Devil - very good about the Civil War as it took place in Kansas and MO. Liked the dialog and a cast of good young(at the time) actors.
    3.Enemy at the Gates. Takes place at the Battle of Stalingrad- very good- has a little stupid love story that didn't happen.
    4. We Were Soldiers- hard to watch for me being a Vet vet, but still an excellent movie. Don't understand why no Oscar nomination.
    5. Gettysburg. Excellent- very long and I think historically accurate. Read the book called "The Killer Angels".

Non historical movie that my daughter brought home to watch and I laughed like hell- Office Space.

There are others but I wnted to leave it at 5 so I don't have to type any more in case this thread dies.

None of Tyler Faith's movies made my list - sorry.

P.S. Best "mini series' ever-Band of Brothers. availible to own or rent at your local video store.:rocker:

Last edited: Jun 17, 2006
  2. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I've always had a place in my heart for Hudson Hawk. A small place, but a place.

3. Turd Furguson

Turd Furguson Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Agree with just about everything here, especially Band of Brothers.

If you liked Office Space, try Super Troopers or Old School. Very funny.

4. Blue Collar

Blue Collar 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I thought band of brothers was outstanding, the history channel is showing the series on fathers day, I believe.

Another mini series I thought was pretty good, was Cosmos by carl sagan.

5. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +183 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

I don't choke up very often watching movies. But, the final episode of Band of Brothers really got to me. When they had the actual surviving men on as very old men. Talking about their service and what they meant to each other brought tears to my eyes.

But, I think you would find the same with almost every unit that served in combat together from start to finish.

Anyone else want to lighten up this thread?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2006
  6. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

There was a 3-story TV movie with Linda Blair called "Trilogy of Terror", that scared the hell out of me as a kid. Another good TV movie series was "Salem's Lot".
    I also heard that "It's a Wonderful Life" was a box office bomb.
    "Citizen Kane" was shut out of theaters because Orson Wells never sucked-up to the studio bosses, and the studios owned the theaters and distribution in those days.
    There's tons of indies I could list, and some are some of the best flicks I ever saw.

7. JackPMiller

JackPMiller On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Last edited: Jun 18, 2006
  8. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,136 / 5 / -20

#61 Jersey

"Waterworld": Essentially this was "The Road Warrior" on water, but still a lot of fun; Dennis Hopper was a funny villain.

"Starship Troopers": Very campy, but the special effects in the battles with the hordes of giant bugs were awesome. They even had a futuristic football game in one scene.

"Serenity": Film sequel to the "Firefly" sci-fi television series. Excellent movie, should've done much better in the theaters.

9. Terry Glenn is a cowgirl

Terry Glenn is a cowgirl Banned

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

The Postman
    Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
    Clay Pigeons
    True Romance
    Office Space
    The Game
    Plains, Trains, and Automobiles
    Reqium For a Dream
    The Usual Suspects
    LA Confidential
    Fargo
    Swingers
    The Crow
    Sin City

I know I'm leaving a bunch of very good movies out...but...I forgot most of the others.

...actually, I have absolutely no idea if any of these films bombed at the box office or not--since I really pay no mind to it. I just like the movies.

10. milwaukeebeers44

milwaukeebeers44 On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

1. BASEketball- Total cheeseball, but one of my favorites.
    2. Office Space- I use quotes from this movie just about every day. I don't generally waste time with people who don't get them.
    3. Shawshank Redemption- Made me love Morgan Freeman.
    4. Reservoir Dogs- Totally fell in love with Michael Madsen. I think that makes me disturbed.
    5. Slap Shot- My favorite sports movie ever. I own a Hansen brother's jersey.

11. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +106 / 2 / -3

Actually many of the movies you mentioned might not have been hits but might not have been busts either... and many of them are now cult classics

I singled out the Postman among your list because like for most guys, while it certainly wasn't a great movie, I found it kept my attention... somewhat like Waterworld... but no one ever wants to admit it becuase its fashionable to slam it as a bad movie.

MOST of the movies I like have been box office bombs however. A few that come to mind but are all HIGHLY recommended rentals:

The Hudsucker Proxy - All star cast with Tim Robbins and Paul Newman... if you don't think this is smart, funny and cinemagraphically artistic then sadly, you lack the ability to appreciate a fine film

The Game - David Fincher's pre-Fight Club movie (by the way, I think "Seven" sucked... I completely saw through to the end "surprise") - talk about twists and turns and unexpected endings!!!

Bob Roberts - a political black comedy, starring Tim Robbins again as the conservative anti-Bob Dylan running for Senate. Also features a very young Jack Black as the starry-eyed gullible kid all too prevelant in political campaigns

Brazil - Monty Python meets George Orwell (almost literally) also featuring Robert DeNero as "Tuttle". The world of the future is controlled by nmenonic tubes and duct work. Enough said.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2006
  12. dryheat44

dryheat44 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +78 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

The Last Boy Scout with Bruce Willis and Damon Wayans. And Streets of Fire.

13. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +276 / 38 / -4

#75 Jersey

"Spaced Invaders"

-just something about this movie always kills me. It is about Marsians who mistake a broadcast of "War of the Worlds" as an actual invasion and land and try to conquer earth, They are about 3ft high puppets,and the pilot talks like Jack Nicolson.

"Prepare to die, Earth Scum!!!!!!"

14. richpats

richpats Banned

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

PCU
    Office Space
    Super Troopers
    Big Trouble in Little China
    Go
    Waiting
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
    Harold & Kumar go to White Castle
    Magnolia (yeah I said it!)
    Mallrats
    Team America: World Police
    Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

15. Turd Furguson

Turd Furguson Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Shawshank Redemption was a box office bust?

16. richpats

richpats Banned

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Can't believe I forgot "Dazed and Confused". "Out Cold" is another funny flick that about 10 people went to see.

17. Mike the Brit

Mike the Brit Minuteman Target PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +378 / 2 / -1

Disable Jersey

Much though I love talking about movies, I have difficulty keeping to the rules for this thread. I think that a "box office bust" has to be a movie that significantly under-performed relative to its budget, so a lot of the "little" movies that I love probably can't be called "busts".

As for some of the famous busts mentioned in the thread -- Waterworld, The Postman (anyone notice a common feature here?), Brazil, The Hudsucker Proxy -- I think that, the odd charming feature apart, the public's judgement is right. (I loved the Hudsucker Proxy in some ways but wanted to throw a rock at the screen for the self-indulgence.)

I giggled a lot at Starship Troopers (and the girls were very sexy) -- but was it really a bust? Here's a question for movie buffs. What war films have had hard-*ss officers who have been school-teachers in peace-time? Starship Troopers and Saving Private Ryan are the two I can think of, but I'd bet there are more.

No one's mentioned that very, very famous box office bust: Heaven's Gate (there's even a book about what went wrong: Final Cut, by Steven Bach). I've seen it only in the sprawling version that Cimino was supposed to be going to clean up before he lost control. But I don't think it was savable.

Anyway, here's a movie that I absolutely ADORE that didn't have a huge budget (although it had big stars) but seems not to have been profitable even in relation to that: Zero Effect (Bill Pullman and Ben Stiller). If you haven't seen it, do.

18. milwaukeebeers44

milwaukeebeers44 On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yup. . .made $28 Mill lifetime, compared to the $25M it cost to make:

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?grademode=1&id=shawshankredemption.htm

http://www.filmsite.org/shaw.html

In comparison, I think the Green Mile was a piece of ****e.

19. AStack75

AStack75 Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Super Troopers - I can't remember laughing more than I did for the beginning of this movie.
    Office Space
    Clerks

20. richpats

richpats Banned

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Agreed:

"She can sue ME!"
    "It's God's water!"
    "I think he said 'yeah sure'."
    "CANDY BARS!!!"
    "I'm going to need 130 bucks, whenever you get a chance."
    "Canada, huh? Almost made it." (I can relate)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2005