PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Favorite MAC Attack

Status
Not open for further replies.

patpatriot

Banned
Reaction score
This is the place tp post your favorite Willie McGiness play. I can't remember if it was 96 or 01 when he intercepted Jim Kelly and ran it back for a TD at the old Foxboro stadium to finally kill the Buffalo dynasty and propel the Pats the the SB. What is yours?

My favorite McGinest play was him taking Edgerrin James down at the 1 yard line in the play-offs to seal the win for the Pats.

2003 - versus the Indy Colts - the goal line stand - the tackle on Edgerrin.

We just did a tribute to Big Willie on our internet show. Check it out - we have the audio from that exact play. Plus an NFL Films style intro which pays homage to Willie Mac.

http://www.murphyspatriots.com

Happiest guy on Earth about the #55 news has to be Peyton Manning.

The Indy Goaline stand was the best Will Mac play.

What I remember was the SB 36 were he almost was the goat with that hold on Faulk then a hero with a sack on Warner to kill the Rams next drive. Great player he will be missed but they all must go at some point.

That is funny that you choose that because it is such an obscure moment, but i was going to choose that too. i think that was in 1996 and he picked it off and ran it back for a TD. Great moment!

Definitely the Indy goalline stand play. I remember watching the game with my buddy, and we had the big lead, I was pumped, and then Indy got down to the 1. I was shocked. Sulking. Then, 3 stops. 1 play to win the game, and I just started running around the house "WILLIE!!!HOLY ****!!!!!!WILLIE!!!! AHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!" Awesome, awesome play.

Dfresh429 said:
That is funny that you choose that because it is such an obscure moment, but i was going to choose that too. i think that was in 1996 and he picked it off and ran it back for a TD. Great moment!

Sunday Night Football, great tip and catch by Big Willie. 46 yard interception return for a td. Great play.

Good stuff!

Thanks for the link Murph. What was great about the Indy goal line stand was how he limped off "injured` a couple of plays previous to force an inury TO (they were out of regular TOs). It killed the Mo of what seemed to be an unstoppable Indy drive. 2 plays later... he's cured! It's a MIRACLE! Remembering the Indy fans whining afterward about "Willie McCheater"! Bwa Ha Ha ha!

Last edited:
It was not a play, but a moment. In SB XXXVI, as we know, Willie's crucial holding call on M. Faulk allowed the Rams to nearly pull off an all-time SB comeback. Seconds after their thrilling win, the televised scene of the rookie Richard Seymour is shown throughout the world, comforting #55, the grizzled veteran, who is crying like a baby in jubilation and relief.

Last edited:
The sack on Manning in the 4th quarter of the '04 season opener where Willie was completely unblocked and Peyton had no idea he was coming! HUGE loss of yardage, next play Vanderjerk shanks a game-tying kick - Pats win!!!

My favourite 55 play is the opener 2 years ago versus Indy and Willie sacks Manning and forces a long field goal, that of course, Vanderjerk misses.

Hate to see Willie go, but economically it looks like he had to. That is a lot of $$$$$.

patpatriot said:
Thanks for the link Murph. What was great about the Indy goal line stand was how he limped off "injured` a couple of plays previous to force an inury TO (they were out of regular TOs). It killed the Mo of what seemed to be an unstoppable Indy drive. 2 plays later... he's cured! It's a MIRACLE! Remembering the Indy fans whining afterward about "Willie McCheater"! Bwa Ha Ha ha!

I cast my vote for the game-winning goal line tackle in 2003 vs. Indy as well. I wonder, if Bill Polian was posed this same question, do you think he'd answer with the supposed fake injury. I think not..........HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

ditto

DaBruinz said:
My favorite McGinest play was him taking Edgerrin James down at the 1 yard line in the play-offs to seal the win for the Pats.

That was ONE of the greatest plays in the history of the NFL.......unreal play by willie with no time left......I couldn't even watch when that was going on......

The sack on Manning in the 4th quarter of the '04 season opener where Willie was completely unblocked and Peyton had no idea he was coming! HUGE loss of yardage, next play Vanderjerk shanks a game-tying kick - Pats win!!!

p1_manning_mcginest_ap.jpg

Last edited:
i cant pick just one play
honestly for me there are too many
(as you might all know by my name willie is my fav pat, and has been since he was a rook, he is also my fav athlete of all time, ranking just ahead of larry bird)

anyway a list of some of my fav moments:

two consecutive plays vs houston in '03 to knock them out of fg range, eventually winning the game by a fg in ot, with a sack and tfl on dom davis

the goal-line stand vs indy in '03, wasnt during the playoffs btw

sack on kordell stewart in '01 afc champ. game, stewart had gotten away, but somehow willie got him by the ankles

sack in sb 36, after willie looked to be the goat he came up huge with a sack on a HUGE third down play (out of the rams last three drives they scored two tds, this was the only drive they failed to score)

4.5 sacks vs jax in last yrs playoffs

and many more

patriots football is gonna be kinda strange for me now
i only became a big pats fan in '93 (was only nine yrs old at the time) and became diehard in 94
whenever we're on defense i always watch willie, so its gonna be very weird

im still gonna wear my authentic willie jersey every game
and am prob gonna pick up a replica willie jersey of the browns

one thing is certain, the browns are now my second fav team

I remember one play where he chased down Daunte Culpepper from behind. I couldn't believe how fast he was.

That reminds me

What about that moment in SB (1? 2?) when Bobby Hamilton is blubbering at Willie on the sidelines about his fears that the Pats would lose:

Bobby: "Yeah but Bluh Bluh Bluh"

Wiilie: "Bobby, you gotta chill out man. You gonna give yourself a heart attack"

patpatriot said:
What about that moment in SB (1? 2?) when Bobby Hamilton is blubbering at Willie on the sidelines about his fears that the Pats would lose:

Bobby: "Yeah but Bluh Bluh Bluh"

Wiilie: "Bobby, you gotta chill out man. You gonna give yourself a heart attack"
That was the 2003 AFC Championship game against the Colt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back