Welcome to PatsFans.com

Favorita

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by IcyPatriot, Mar 1, 2010.

1. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,442 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  2. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

I think that lady had to take a MASSIVE dump....

Being a resident of SF and working in the bay area...the past week has been stressfull to say the least. The Japan quake happened during lunch last week, and brought most of my coworkers and myself to a state of when we will feel the next one here. I take SOME peace in knowing we had a 6.8 up north of the bay a few months ago, but we do live between 2 active faults, connected by BART underground, and a bay bridge that failed 20 years ago during a 7.1 earthquake.

I keep coming back to what is called "The Quickening"....is that whats going on right now? I hav enever seen so many powerful earthquakes in such a short time....

3. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,442 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

God bless you guys ... I don't know how you can live on those things.

4. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

its 70 degrees out here almost everyday....Wine country, Tahoe, Carmel and half moon bay, Yosemite, the pacific coastline....Thats how we get by....

Every section of the country has its drawbacks, ours is that every now and then....we get all shook up.

My folks live in southern Maine....just had their roof blown off by 90+ MPH winds... At least with that stuff, you can forcast the storm. Earthquakes just smack you upside the head.

5. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

While I'm sure all these earthquakes are somehow the Republicans' fault (no pun intended), the Haitian earthquake was practically a drop in the bucket compared to the Chilean earthquake in terms of strength. This recent earthquake released about 500 times the energy as the former.

Of course, as we all know, the circumstances around the Haitian earthquake led to far greater loss of life.

6. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,442 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

In a way they were spared by the depth which was like 21 miles below vs Haiti where I believe it was like 8 miles.

7. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Agreed. Also, from what I have heard in various news reports of the past few days, Chile is much more prepared for earthquakes when it comes to things like structural integrity, etc.

I have to say I learned a lot more about the so-called "Ring of Fire" this past month than I ever wanted to. We keep hearing that it is inevitable that "The Big One" will one day hit California. Frightening.

8. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

The Chilean earthquake actually knocked the earth off it's Axis:eek:

Chilean Quake Likely Shifted Earth?s Axis, NASA Scientist Says - Bloomberg.com

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  9. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +561 / 15 / -29

10. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +856 / 2 / -9

I live in "mid coast" Maine and those winds were scary the other night, I'm on an Island and the power was off for three days, what made the winds seem worse were they came at night, all night, I was all over California, Oregon, Washington and Montana during the war in the forties it is beautiful out there, many times while raising my family I would say to my wife "lets pack up and move to California" but I never made it......

I have to get my little dig in now, Al Gore has tangled with Mother Nature, he better watch out....

11. efin98

efin98 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Where it happened was a huge factor as welll, the Haiti one was about 16 miles from the capital and on land...Chilean one was off the coast underwater.

The miracle of this is that it didn't cause a larger tsunami...

12. efin98

efin98 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Five of the estimated and confirmed worst earthquakes ever to hit have come in that country including the worst one ever recorded, the 1960 Valdivia earthquake. Even if they were prepared and built up infrastructure to withstand it it was still going to cause massive loss of life regardless.