PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Faulk comes to defense of Moss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Between Chris Gamble's and Art Shell's comments, I'd say Moss has a known psychological imperfection that really came to the fore.

But he's been a highly productive player despite it for years, and most likely will be soon again.

No, they will never say that. But if a teammate is really not giving effort, something will happen teamwise (AD getting the healthy inactive agaisnt the Titans, for example). If Brady thought he wasn't doing poorly and just wasn't in the game, he wouldn't have been encouraging him on the sidelines, he would have been yelling at him a la Joey Galloway.

I think he is still hurt. I know, it's not on the injury report blah blah. Back injuries don't magically disappear. What he needs is time off...I am hoping the Houston game ends up being worthless and he can take it off.

I was pretty pissed watching Moss play yesterday, but after reading some of the posts here and then seeing Faulk come to his defense, I agree that he must still be hurt.

There's no way Brady would just shrug off a pick his receiver didn't even attempt to fight for unless he knew something was up. And BB and company would never reveal too much about this or else Moss would be getting hit on every play. We don't have any wideout options though so he has to suck it up for the team.

Unfortunately, back injuries don't heal overnight. But I think the truth will come out after this season just how bad it was. Until then, I'm going to give Randy the benefit of the doubt.

Kevin Faulk and Tom Brady are trying to keep Moss from shutting it down

completely. The Patriots have no chance the last three games if Moss

plays like he did yesterday.

Last edited:
Kevin Faulk and Tom Brady are trying to keep Moss from shutting it down completely. The Patriots have no chance the last three games if Moss plays like he did yesterday.

Is this the "Patriot Way"????
Players having to coddle a 32 yr old malcontent so he won't "shut it down"??
How pathetic!!!
This isn't the Patriot Way and until players like Moss, AD and Springs are removed from this team the winning attitude and professionalism that marked the Patriots Way of going about their business will not be back.
And yes the Patriots can win without Randy Moss. Tom Brady simply needs to recognize when his binky doesn't want to play and avoid him as happened yesterday in the 2nd half. The best thing that could happen to Tom Brady is he losses confidence and belief in Moss and stops forcing the ball to him. We'd have beaten Miami if Brady had done this last week.

Last edited:
How pathetic!!!
This isn't the Patriot Way and until players like Moss, AD and Springs are removed from this team the winning attitude and professionalism that marked the Patriots Way of going about their business will not be back.
And yes the Patriots can win without Randy Moss. Tom Brady simply needs to recognize when his binky doesn't want to play and avoid him as happened yesterday in the 2nd half. The best thing that could happen to Tom Brady is he losses confidence and believe in Moss and stops forcing the ball to him. We'd have beaten Miami if Brady had done this last week.

I'm sure Belichick will cull out the loafers and malcontents

No, they will never say that. But if a teammate is really not giving effort, something will happen teamwise (AD getting the healthy inactive agaisnt the Titans, for example). If Brady thought he wasn't doing poorly and just wasn't in the game, he wouldn't have been encouraging him on the sidelines, he would have been yelling at him a la Joey Galloway.

I think he is still hurt. I know, it's not on the injury report blah blah. Back injuries don't magically disappear. What he needs is time off...I am hoping the Houston game ends up being worthless and he can take it off.

The Patriots couldnt afford to deactivate Moss for a game at this point in the season. Even with him not giving his best effort he still attracts double and triple coverage which allows Welker to get one on one and he is able to do his thing. Brady is encouraging Moss on the sidelines because he expects more out of him and knows that what he is seeing isnt the real Randy Moss.

I think you're right and he could be hurt. If at the end of the season something comes out about Moss playing through a really severe injury then I will take my comments back, but right now everyone is banged up, look at Brady. All of those guys are still giving 100% effort.

if moss wasn't hurt, then his head wasn't in the game, and that would be a big problem for me because after what i saw yesterday, i'd have to agree with those morons in the media. i will say that, i'm sure those guys in the locker room know better than we do, so i'll go by what they say for now.

Kevin Faulk and Tom Brady are trying to keep Moss from shutting it down

completely. The Patriots have no chance the last three games if Moss

plays like he did yesterday.

That's exactly what the situation is IMO. And it's almost painful to listen to Tom trying to tapdance around the situation on the radio this AM. He genuinely likes Randy his friend and unabashedly admires Randy the talent.

If you listen closely he isn't absolving or denying anything, more trying to explain and rationalize or make allowances for things as an end around tough questions. His mantra remains you have to fight through adversity. And he just kind of closed his comments on the topic with the observation injuries are excuses for poor performance and he cannot accept that because there are all manner of obstacles to winning, weather, opponents resolve, and you win when you overcome them by being mentally tough.

Between Chris Gamble's and Art Shell's comments, I'd say Moss has a known psychological imperfection that really came to the fore.

But he's been a highly productive player despite it for years, and most likely will be soon again.

I think that is what his teamates are hoping, but that hasn't always been the case - at least the soon enough part. What Art Shell said about Moss according to Borges, who is if nothing a student of all things Oakland, is that Moss is easily "daunted". What Dungy said yesterday in defending him against allegations that he was again quitting is that he is "fragile". Rodney didn't disagree. I believe that is the crux of the problem in a nutshell. He is fragile both physically and mentally. And as a result he is easily daunted. He's not a bad guy in the classic sense and he is an all world level talent, and that is why Brady and Belichick and others have continued to have his back here. Unfortunately this is not a league that adapts well to accomodating weakness. It is often overlooked or tolerated in the most talented, kiss of death in the less talented. He's an odd fit for a team that won championships with a lot of guys like Welker, who are less talented but simply determined to do whatever it takes to win including will themselves to if that's all they can hope to.

I think a lot of things are daunting Moss this season. My observations on the way he moves and uses his body compared to the way he once did have fallen mostly on deaf ears. Any criticism of Randy is kneejerk characterized as unfair criticism. He clearly isn't the same player who was wildly successful in his first 10-12 weeks here. Whether that is due to injury per se or a chronic problem potentially age related is anyone's guess. He plays like a guy with a stiff back. Doesn't bend or jump or cut well. Doesn't fight off blockers or get off jams with any burst. He still has straight line speed when he flashes it in the open. Whether he's protecting himself or genuinely cannot do more than he does is anyone's guess. The result is the same. Daunting.

That they feel they have to continue to try and involve him in games potentially to their detriment of is a byproduct of both his top tier contract status and the lack of sufficiently viable alternate options. Everyone has taken a hit for him, his HOF QB gets admonished for becoming myopic or careless over him, his coordinators get eviscerated for alternately not calling better plays for him or not getting away from him, other players get under or over or improperly utilized in an effort to work around his unavailability or create opportunities for him. That is physically as well as mentally draining for them. As is the process of supporting his fragile ego. They have their own performances to worry about.

I just don't know how long you can keep doing all that when the results aren't what you bargained for. The ends aren't justifying the means. Brady needs better receivers and more options to optimize his talents. That's been the case for a while now, even before the merely physically fragile twig departed. He doesn't have the time to wait for receivers to get open absent the kind of success he experienced in the first twelve weeks of 2007 without risking losing his own career to cumulative injury in the process. And the team is risking everyone else's career on this roster in the process as well. If the process continues to ultimately fail in part because of an unfortunate flaw in an inigmatic however other worldly talent, that would be truly tragic.

Last edited:
I think a lot of things are daunting Moss this season. My observations on the way he moves and uses his body compared to the way he once did have fallen mostly on deaf ears. Any criticism of Randy is kneejerk characterized as unfair criticism. He clearly isn't the same player who was wildly successful in his first 10-12 weeks here. Whether that is due to injury per se or a chronic problem potentially age related is anyone's guess. He plays like a guy with a stiff back. Doesn't bend or jump or cut well. Doesn't fight off blockers or get off jams with any burst. He still has straight line speed when he flashes it in the open. Whether he's protecting himself or genuinely cannot do more than he does is anyone's guess. The result is the same. Daunting.

That they feel they have to continue to try and involve him in games potentially to their detriment of is a byproduct of both his top tier contract status and the lack of sufficiently viable alternate options. Everyone has taken a hit for him, his HOF QB gets admonished for becoming myopic or careless over him, his coordinators get eviscerated for alternately not calling better plays for him or not getting away from him, other players get under or over or improperly utilized in an effort to work around his unavailability or create opportunities for him. That is physically as well as mentally draining for them. As is the process of supporting his fragile ego. They have their own performances to worry about.

I just don't know how long you can keep doing all that when the results aren't what you bargained for. The ends aren't justifying the means. Brady needs better receivers and more options to optimize his talents. That's been the case for a while now, even before the merely physically fragile twig departed. He doesn't have the time to wait for receivers to get open absent the kind of success he experienced in the first twelve weeks of 2007 without risking losing his own career to cumulative injury in the process. And the team is risking everyone else's career on this roster in the process as well. If the process continues to ultimately fail in part because of an unfortunate flaw in an inigmatic however other worldly talent, that would be truly tragic.

I'll concede that Moss could potentially have emotional issues (not a "fragile ego") but goodness Mo, you just blamed EVERYTHING on Moss. You basically just said that all of the offensive criticism is because of Moss not playing like early 07. I don't know why you believe it is more likely that the team will all of a sudden change it's fundamental beliefs and morals to coddle Moss. The "upper tier contract" argument doesn't follow, see: AdT. The upper-level talent isn't precedented (see: Terry Glenn).

One thing we can be pretty damn sure of is that Moss is practicing hard. Maybe his brain chemistry isn't as strong as others and he allows things to get in his head during games, but that is all speculation. You take Moss off this team right now and we struggle to beat the bad teams all year. The offensive woes have been primarily due to the inconsistent OL and Brady getting back in the swing of things. Brady-Moss connection is definitely lacking from the amazing RECORD breaking level we saw in 07 but Moss does NOT make this team worse in any way shape or form.

Pfft. Like Kevin Faulk knows better than the posters on PatsFans.com!

:rolleyes:

lol!

Hope those throwing 81 under the bus and those claiming that 81 and 12 just aren't 'close' anymore read this.

How pathetic!!!
And yes the Patriots can win without Randy Moss. Tom Brady simply needs to recognize when his binky doesn't want to play and avoid him as happened yesterday in the 2nd half. The best thing that could happen to Tom Brady is he losses confidence and belief in Moss and stops forcing the ball to him. We'd have beaten Miami if Brady had done this last week.

Gosh!!

Please tell me that you were totally against Moss signing from the beginning and that you thought his attitude was terrible right from day one.
Please tell me that you know more about his injuries (or lack of it) and what is going on in the locker-room for the last 10 days for you to doubt what Faulk and Brady say about him.
Please give me something to back up your recommendation to remove Moss from this team based on one game.
Please quote whatever Moss said that made you = AD in terms of rotting the team.

Sorry if I am asking too much.

:bricks:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back