Welcome to PatsFans.com

Father plans to kill soon to be paroled Cannibal who ate his 5yr old boy.

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by cupofjoe1962, Mar 8, 2011.

1. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 Rookie

Ratings:
    +53 / 14 / -9

Accused cannibal to be paroled from Rhode Island prison

They are letting this animal out early for good behavior.
    I guess there were no 5 year old boys to eat in prison.

How much tax payer money will be spent to proctect the cannibal from
    the vigilante dad, after he is let out of prison?

If dad kills the cannibal, I would love to get on that jury....
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  2. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +443 / 5 / -2

Never mind that this savage is getting out early, how's he getting out of prison at all? He killed and then ate a 5 year old boy.
  3. chicowalker

chicowalker On the Roster

Ratings:
    +202 / 2 / -3

good behavior?

who gives a sh*t when that's the crime?
  4. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +541 / 1 / -1

#54 Jersey

I can't believe they're letting this guy out. It sounds like something that would happen in Canada.

I would do exactly what John Foreman is planning on doing, except that I would not advertise it.
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  5. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

There must have been something wrong with the case back in '82. Maybe the search that turned up the bones was questionable, I can easily see the cops roughing him up, heck I could see myself doing that. I know in MA a 1st degree murder conviction means life with no parole today. I don't know if that was in effect back then. Assuming it was, I'm thinking the prosecutor would have gone for it if he thought he could get it. I ain't buying the 'spare the family' crap.

This sort of crime is different than killing a store clerk in a robbery or just getting mad at someone else for any number of reasons and I think it should be treated differently. They said on the radio that only 2% of insanity defenses work. I think that number should be higher; but while the court declares them not guilty because of insanity they simultaneously find them not capable of living peacefully in society for the exact same reason. Its not important to me for this cannibal to get the stigma of a conviction on his record, just as long as the room he lives in for the rest of his life has a locked door he can't open and bars on the window.
  6. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +278 / 10 / -26

Very familiar with this case, they did not want to go to trial as they did not want to reveal the gruesome details of the case and the suffering that Jason Foreman went through. The family did not want the details of the case divulged, as they wanted privacy. Jason's bones were shellacked and on Woodmansee's dresser... he is/was an animal pure and simple.

They gave him a plea deal of 40 years, and no one at that time envisioned him getting out of prison.. however he worked it to his advantage and because of "good time" he is getting out 12 years early.

This exemplifies many of these types of cases that have unintended consequenses in the legal system, and are not well thought out in a quest for a quick answer to a complex issue. He actually had two charges, the second was an attempted abduction.. they should have given him to concurrent sentences which would have avoided the current conundrum..

Read somewhere that they are considering civil commitment as he may be consdered a danger to others.. he did time, probably anonymously, in Gardiner, Mass Prison.. if he was in RI he would probably have fallen off a prison tier... right now they have him in very secure setting in our Super Max prison..

The father is stupid, as justifiably angry as he is, should have kept his mouth shut.. now if anything happens to Woodmansee he will be the first suspect.

This stuff happens all the time, in the quest for quick justice no one looks as the consequence long term.. we have a similar case of a serial killer in RI named Craig Price, who killed 4 people before age 15.. his PD copped a plea to lock him up until he was 21 and initially everyone was happy. Then they figured it out he would be in prison for 6 years and was a monster.

So while incarcerated they criminally charged him from everything from refusing a psychiatric evaluation to threatening staff... right now he is in Fla. and will be there until he is at least 40 years old, but will probably incur more charges...

In the Craig Price situation they then changed the law, and made allowances that kids like him can be charged as adults and suffer the full effect of the consequences of what he has done.. he is an animal.

They will change the law to avoid the loophole of this type of case..

As far as the argument goes to not allow good time, can go either way.. if you do not give prisoners hope that they can get out by behaving well, prisoners often act out. It is easier to manage prisoners when they believe they can get out. This is a management tool... every state system is comparable, while the Fed system uses different methods. In Woodmanee's case the sentencing judge and AG should have considered this possibility.

The police have no choice except to protect him if he gets out... if they do not do their mandated job, then they become liable.. it was a crappy choice in 1982.. and it has long term unintended consequences..
  7. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +344 / 3 / -13

Lets just cheer for this guy's death soon. I honestly don't care how it happens either. I pray this man is hounded by those he chooses to live around for the rest of his life.

If he moved into my neighborhood, I'm sure me and my neighbors would force him to move very quickly.

He deserves to live the rest of his life being tortured.
  8. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

Put another way, does anybody think this guy is reformed? Given the heinous, gruesome nature of the crime, does anybody think that given the opportunity he wouldn't do it again???
    Hopefully he'll do something stupid while still in prison that will extend his sentence.....
  9. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +344 / 3 / -13

No one who commits such a crime can be rehabilitated...no one.

That's also true of repeat child molesters, so why do they ever get out of prison? Sadly, our prisons are full with drug-related felons. I'd personally like to see most drugs be legalized so we can end the reign of drug users, dealers, cartels, hit men, all the putrid gangs and all the scum that goes with illegal drugs. Legalize the crap so our prisons aren't full of them.

Maybe then we can keep men like this in prison til the day they die.
  10. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +278 / 10 / -26

This is not about rehabilatation, it is about paying your debt to society and the deciders not understanding the unintended consequences... in their glee to end the case, avoid a trial, psare the family they chose an option which now sucks..

This type of thing happens more often than it should..
  11. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +344 / 3 / -13

I understand that Darryl, but what I wrote about legalizing drugs and emptying our prisons of drug-related felons is still a good solution to keeping people in prison longer.

I realize it wouldn't help with this case, but it's a relevant issue.
  12. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +203 / 5 / -6

It sounds to me like the family was horribly traumatized, so rather than have a trial they negotiated a plea bargain, a compassionate move for the family. It seems to me that the perp should at the very least be subject to a psychological evaluation and perhaps sent a psych hospital. It's unlikely a 16 year old who is capable of such a bizarre and awful crime has been reformed by the prison system. If the father kills the perp and I'm on the jury, I'd certainly be tempted to engage in jury nullification.
  13. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +72 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

I saw the state is looking for ways to keep this monster in jail. If the old man did kill him it would be alright with me, i would understand.
  14. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +278 / 10 / -26

Sorry thought this was about Jason Foreman and his killer..
  15. chicowalker

chicowalker On the Roster

Ratings:
    +202 / 2 / -3

Just to be clear, darryl, since I mentioned how ridiculous the good behavior rationale is here, I was referring to this case and others with similar charges.

I have no problem with time off for good behavior in many instances, but I think at some level it shouldn't come into play. (We could debate whether that's all murders and rapes and child molestation, or some subset of those kinds of crimes.)

Why do they have to protect him, and how much protection, though?

I wouldn't think he should get any more protection than a woman who calls the police in fear for her life due to an abusive husband, for instance. And how is he different from a gang member who's being targeted by a rival gang?

Police aren't bodyguards.
  16. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +344 / 3 / -13

It's ok...I forgive you.

Just don't let it happen again!;):p
  17. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +908 / 7 / -17

#87 Jersey

If he does I hope he does it Dexter style ... :cool:
  18. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Great explanation. I am not in favor of the death penalty, but when this happens it greatly effects my stance. I do like the Price example.
  19. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +278 / 10 / -26

Unless otherwised notified by the court you cannot individualize the provision of excluding "good time"... so as a corrections official cannot look at a specific crime and apply a different standard. Corrections officials have to do what the sentence tells them to do. Upon sentencing you can add the caveat of no early release, but it was not applied in this case..

A mitigating factor here is that he did time in Gardner, Mass, and probably enjoyed some anonymity.. which made time easier for him. If he did time in RI would have been more problematic, and more problematic for the Corrections Officers as well...

If police have been made aware of a possible crime, they have to respond appropriately.. no one is discussing a body guard, but if they are made aware of a crime and do not act in accordance with department policy they can be held liable. The same principal applies in a correctional setting, you have to protect everyone no matter what they are behind high walls for.

The reality is that the father should have kept his mouth shut, and if he was to do what he wants to do, should have done so under the table not broadcast it all over the place.. vigilantism cannot be supported, as the unintended consequences are often more severe..
  20. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 Rookie

Ratings:
    +53 / 14 / -9

Darryl... Didn't Massachusetts get rid of good time in the early 90's???
    I have been out of the "wrong side of the tracks" loop for the past 16,
    years so I am not sure where we stand in 2011.

I can understand good time for people in jail for non violent offenses.
    I cannot understand good time for a guy who ate a 5 year old boy.

I also hate the idea of protective custody.
    If you do the crime, you need to go into the general population and
    fend for yourself. I am sure some screws would look the other way if
    someone wanted to give the cannibal a severe beating or a shank in
    the liver.