Fast, Tough, Experienced Defensive Backfield for 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

goheels22002

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Best group in a while, if in fact this is the final defensive backfield:

CB (6) Devin McCourty, Ras-I Dowling, Kyle Arrington, Marquice Cole, Alfonzo Dennard, Sterling Moore
SS (2) Steve Gregory, Nate Ebner
FS (2) Patrick Chung, Tavon Wilson

Young, fast, experienced.

Steve Gregory and Marquice Cole are the oldest in the group at 29 and they are smart, tough guys. Cole is a Northwestern grad who played for Rex, not a bad combination. He was the one DB who caught my eye the most in the first two pre-season games.

The rookies are an interesting mix of smarts (Wilson) and toughness (Ebner and Dennard.)

The rest have playoff experience and most have a Super Bowl run under their belts.

The evolution of the defense last year cannot be underestimated for Chung, Arrington, McCourty, and even Dowling and Moore who had limited exposure to live action under Patricia and Belichick. That defense got better, stingier and more cohesive after week 9.

With improvements at DL and LB, (and the lack of quality at QB by the opponents), this should be a very productive defensive backfield.

This could be an area of strength, got confused for a minute between Ebert and Ebner..

There is also a lot of developing talent here..

I prefer to wait until health and chemistry issues are resolved.

Not pessimistic, nor would I be optimistic if they had added all pros, but the DB is a work in progress, hopefully with progress being made.

If Ras I and Chung can stay healthy, the rest could easily fall into place.

I would wait to call this unit experienced, in that a successful working unit involving some and additions of players that have played some doesn't translate into what i would consider an experienced defensive backfield.

Tough and experienced yet to be proven compared to past units that were, indeed, tough and experienced.

I agree with your premise on Dennard being tough. I saw a bit of nasty from him the last preseason game. Nice to see from a rookie.

Very happy with Dennard making the team. We have upside and we are starting to develop homegrown talent back there. We are a little short on the experience side but hopefully that's also means we are short on bad habits built over time and that they are a very coachable unit.

Glass half full ;)

Dowling still looks a little stiff to me from his hip surgery. He hasn't looked as flawless as he did in the first 2 games last year.

No pass rush and these guys are near the bottom again, the only thing is we barely play any good teams, they will be tested this postseason.

Very glad to see Dennard make the team as well.

If this were Madden, or should Belichick finally just let me GM for a day, the only real changes I'd make to the backfield would be to just pay / trade for a top CB.

I'm very comfortable with the potential this young group has.

Very glad to see Dennard make the team as well.

If this were Madden, or should Belichick finally just let me GM for a day, the only real changes I'd make to the backfield would be to just pay / trade for a top CB.

I'm very comfortable with the potential this young group has.

I agree, for the most part. Matt Patricia, as DC, needs to be very agressive with his linebackers and lineman and do a lot of blitzing to help out the secondary as they get their boots wet.

One thing that the Pats never seemed to do under previous DC's was a lot of movement and stunting at the line just before the snap. This could create some uncertainty with the o linemen, etc.

One thing that the Pats never seemed to do under previous DC's was a lot of movement and stunting at the line just before the snap. This could create some uncertainty with the o linemen, etc.

We used to.. back in the day when everything was gelling.

I agree, for the most part. Matt Patricia, as DC, needs to be very agressive with his linebackers and lineman and do a lot of blitzing to help out the secondary as they get their boots wet.

I hope you are right. Last year, the only time the defense was turned loose was the 2nd game against Tebow.
Unless the overall defensive posture of passivity changes (bend but don't break, give ground continually waiting for the other team to make a mistake), it will not matter what personnel is on the field.

Best group in a while, if in fact this is the final defensive backfield:

CB (6) Devin McCourty, Ras-I Dowling, Kyle Arrington, Marquice Cole, Alfonzo Dennard, Sterling Moore
SS (2) Steve Gregory, Nate Ebner
FS (2) Patrick Chung, Tavon Wilson

Young, fast, experienced.

Steve Gregory and Marquice Cole are the oldest in the group at 29 and they are smart, tough guys. Cole is a Northwestern grad who played for Rex, not a bad combination. He was the one DB who caught my eye the most in the first two pre-season games.

The rookies are an interesting mix of smarts (Wilson) and toughness (Ebner and Dennard.)

The rest have playoff experience and most have a Super Bowl run under their belts.

The evolution of the defense last year cannot be underestimated for Chung, Arrington, McCourty, and even Dowling and Moore who had limited exposure to live action under Patricia and Belichick. That defense got better, stingier and more cohesive after week 9.

With improvements at DL and LB, (and the lack of quality at QB by the opponents), this should be a very productive defensive backfield.

Did you list these guys in depth chart order? Isn't Arrington the best CB the team has? Sorry haven't watched a lot of preseason but do we know who is the #1 or will BB just run out this LCB RCB system where they stay on the same side every play?

I'd be happy to see the Patriots DB's floor some people to establish swag early in the season. A penalty here or there whilst inflicting the fear of God could be fleeting moments that set the tone for the D.

Last edited:
No NFL experience - Dennard, Ebner, Wilson.
Injury prone - Chung and we hope not Dowling.
Jeckyl and Hyde - McCourty
Terrible preseason - Moore

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes