PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Farve says his fans were never really loyal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brett Favre: Fans Who Are Sick of Me Never Really Loved Me -- NFL FanHouse

Well there goes the legacy of fans who loved the guy and by spewing this crap on those who idolized him

Who cares.

If it wasn't for coach Tom C (he of the monumental upsets) scheming an awesome game plan to upset the Broncos, 30-27, at Mile High in a 1996 AFC Divisional game, Favre would be in the same strata as Jim Kelly. Denver would have destroyed NE (at Denver), the Broncos would have saluted their way to beat GB in SB 31, and Denver would have been the 1st team to win 3 consecutive SBs.

As we all know by now, Coughlin is a pain in the ass. Ask Notre Dame fans (1993).

Last edited:
So if I follow this right...somebody claims to adore you. You jerk them around and trample on their affection for years. Eventually they turn against you. So then you say that proves they "never loved you to begin with"?

That's a little creepy.

:scared:

Not to take this thread off track, but the same goes for relationships in general. Plenty I've seen that are like this.

Handling it better and brought it on himself are two different things.

I think he did bring it on himself and Ted Thompson brought it on him too. The problem is that the previous GM would consult Favre on moves (many GMs do with franchise QB, but many don't). Thompson wanted to do things his way without Favre's seal of approval which peissed off Favre. I am sure that Thompson probably could have managed Favre better in these situations, but Favre should have known it wasn't his call. There has been several times where Belichick and Pioli made moves that weren't popular with Brady (the whole Branch situation), but Brady sucked it up and was a team player. Favre wasn't. There is a big difference.

I don't totally blame Favre for his attitude though. Management in Green Bay made Favre into a deiety. When they build you up and allow you to have input in management decisions, you can't help but to feel slighted when it is taken away.

I 10000% blame Favre though for his offseason indecisiveness especially last year. The guy retired, almost unretired right before the draft, and then unretired again in late June. It isn't fair for a team trying to move forward to act like this especially when you have been the face of the franchise. If he wasn't sure he was going to retire, he should have been upfront with them and at least taken his time before he retired. He affected the entire Packers' ability to move forward.

+1 I agree 100% on this response and for what it's worth, Favre made the Packers in this era. Those who think he overstepped his boundry by publicly calling out Ted Thompson on Randy Moss or Mariuci, I say, he had every right to. If it wasn't for him, they( the Pack) would've been bottom dwellers.

I have always like Favre and respected his toughness and the fact that he waffled on retirement tells me he was torn. He didn't really want to retire but most likely, his wife and his body were telling him it's time. So what..... if the guy thought he could play another season, he should play.

Sorry, no player has the right to publically to question management no matter what they mean to the franchise. I would lose some respect for Brady if he ever spoke out against Belichick. I have tons more respect for him that he was obviously upset about the Branch situation and instead of publically fuel the fire, he took what he had and made the best of it and got the Pats a minute away from the Super Bowl that season rather than keeping the Branch issue an open infected wound as many other players might have done. Brady means as much to this franchise as Favre does to the Packers and he did it the right way.

I think he did bring it on himself and Ted Thompson brought it on him too. The problem is that the previous GM would consult Favre on moves (many GMs do with franchise QB, but many don't). Thompson wanted to do things his way without Favre's seal of approval which peissed off Favre. I am sure that Thompson probably could have managed Favre better in these situations, but Favre should have known it wasn't his call. There has been several times where Belichick and Pioli made moves that weren't popular with Brady (the whole Branch situation), but Brady sucked it up and was a team player. Favre wasn't. There is a big difference.

I don't totally blame Favre for his attitude though. Management in Green Bay made Favre into a deiety. When they build you up and allow you to have input in management decisions, you can't help but to feel slighted when it is taken away.

I 10000% blame Favre though for his offseason indecisiveness especially last year. The guy retired, almost unretired right before the draft, and then unretired again in late June. It isn't fair for a team trying to move forward to act like this especially when you have been the face of the franchise. If he wasn't sure he was going to retire, he should have been upfront with them and at least taken his time before he retired. He affected the entire Packers' ability to move forward.

If you think Favre was the problem in Green Bay, I don't know what to tell you. Favre didn't get rid of the entire interior of his offensive line. From 2001-last season:

12-4
12-4
10-6
10-6
4-12
8-8
13-3
6-10

The only losing season during Favre's entire tenure in Green Bay was the year that his center and both guards were gone. The very first year after he leaves, the team has a 7 game dropoff.

Blaming Favre is just.... well, I'll leave it there.

Last edited:
The only losing season during Favre's entire tenure in Green Bay was the year that his center and both guards were gone. The very first year after he leaves, the team has a 7 game dropoff.

Because quarterbacks determine a team's win loss record by themselves. Its not like their are 52 other guys on the roster.

If you think Favre was the problem in Green Bay, I don't know what to tell you. Favre didn't get rid of the entire interior of his offensive line.

12-4
12-4
10-6
10-6
4-12
8-8
13-3
6-10

Blaming Favre is just.... well, I'll leave it there.

I'm not blaming Favre for any of the problems in Green Bay. I do blame him for hindering them from developing a strategy to fix their problems and get building for the future with their indecisiveness. How can I blame Favre with all the problems in Green Bay when I say he was upset that Thompson made personnel decisions without his consultation?

I do think Favre has been very selfish over the last few years and that he should realize his selfishness is going to turn off even some of his most loyal fans. If he cannot see that, he really needs to look at himself, not write off these fans as non-fans.

As for the drop off last year, it was almost 100% the defense fault. Aaron Rodgers completed 63.6% of his passes for 4,038 yards, 28 TDs, and 13 INTs last year. I can't see Favre doing much better than that. In fact, they are very similiar to Favre's 2007 numbers.

Last edited:
I do think Favre has been very selfish over the last few years and that he should realize his selfishness is going to turn off even some of his most loyal fans. If he cannot see that, he really needs to look at himself, not write off these fans as non-fans.

As another example, Favre absolutely refused to work with Aaron Rodgers, or any of his other backups. Compare that to Brady, or Manning.

As for the drop off last year, it was almost 100% the defense fault. Aaron Rodgers completed 63.6% of his passes for 4,038 yards, 28 TDs, and 13 INTs last year. I can't see Favre doing much better than that. In fact, they are very similiar to Favre's 2007 numbers.

Just as a comparison, Favre the last two years:

2008 - 65.7% completion rate, 3472 yards, 22TD, 22INT.

2007 - 66.5% completion rate, 4155 yards, 28 TD, 15INT

I'm not blaming Favre for any of the problems in Green Bay. I do blame him for hindering them from developing a strategy to fix their problems and get building for the future with their indecisiveness. How can I blame Favre with all the problems in Green Bay when I say he was upset that Thompson made personnel decisions without his consultation?

How do you blame Favre when the team had drafted Rodgers? It just makes no sense at all. Also, and just as clearly, having Favre there didn't prevent Thompson from ruining 2005 for the Packers by 'building for the future' with that offensive line.

Let me take you to Gillette and let the players beat the hell out of you for about 16 weeks. Then we'll see how much you think about your aches and pains when people ask if you want to do it again. Favre is comfortably over 35. Hell, players like Strahan retired over it (at least partly, and after having 'pondered' the year before so that he could skip the training camp) at a far younger age. Seau has 'graduated' more than once, just for a Patriots example.

Yeah, ummm.... I'm not buying it for even a moment. Players are more than just numbers, as the Brady v. Manning debate has shown time and again. The Packers defense was a problem, and you neglected to point to the problems with the running game, but the Patriots' last season should show how significant a loss a top player can be for a team, even if the replacement does a good job.

How do you blame Favre when the team had drafted Rodgers? It just makes no sense at all. Also, and just as clearly, having Favre there didn't prevent Thompson from ruining 2005 for the Packers by 'building for the future' with that offensive line.

How because Rodgers was going into the last year of his contract and his indecisiveness was hindering his process and what their plans of what they were going to do with QB of the future.

Let me take you to Gillette and let the players beat the hell out of you for about 16 weeks. Then we'll see how much you think about your aches and pains when people ask if you want to do it again. Favre is comfortably over 35. Hell, players like Strahan retired over it (at least partly, and after having 'pondered' the year before so that he could skip the training camp) at a far younger age. Seau has 'graduated' more than once, just for a Patriots example.

Strahan did it once. Favre did it four consecutive seasons. Even with Strahan "retired", everyone knew he would probably be back and that he was just avoiding training camp. Favre kept on going back and forth year after year. If Strahan pulled what he did for another year or two, I would put him in the same place as Favre. I do put him in the same place as Favre as his selfishness of publically speaking out against Tom Coughlin. I felt Strahan's actions there were selfish and inexcusable. I don't care who you are, you never speak out against your coach or GM. I am not going to change my stance on that. Strahan is a bad example since I would put him in a similiar category as Favre. I have little respect for Strahan as a man for his actions his last few years as a Giant. I have Giants fan friends who don't either.

Yeah, ummm.... I'm not buying it for even a moment. Players are more than just numbers, as the Brady v. Manning debate has shown time and again. The Packers defense was a problem, and you neglected to point to the problems with the running game, but the Patriots' last season should show how significant a loss a top player can be for a team, even if the replacement does a good job.

Ok, I forgot the running game problems. Again, still not the QB fault. Whether Favre coming back or not, the decline probably would have happened. That was my point to begin with.

Last edited:
Oh, there are some unforgivable sins. Vick and the dogs, Stallworth and the DUI.... these can have understandably significant impacts. But considering it an unforgivable thing because your 'hero' waffles about playing the game or retiring when he's over 35??

Come on. We've got Seau right here in New England. I didn't notice too many people refusing to follow him because he had 'graduated'.

I never said Favre's waffling was unforgivable. As a matter of fact, if I had to put a word to it, I would say that his waffling was just flat out annoying. The media circus he created with it showed (to borrow someone else's word) his extreme narcissism. So no, I don't think it's unforgivable or inexcusable. Favre going to Minnesota would have done that for me. Fortunately for him, he didn't (yet anyway).

If he does stay retired, then I wish the best for him. If he comes out of retirement and goes to Minnesota then I can't really see myself ever rooting for him again the way I used to. Picture Brady in a few years waffling over retirement only to actually do it, come out of it, and then sign with the Jets. How would you feel?

How because Rodgers was going into the last year of his contract and his indecisiveness was hindering his process and what their plans of what they were going to do with QB of the future.

It wasn't hindering anything, obviously, since they signed Rodgers.

Strahan did it once. Favre did it four consecutive seasons. Even with Strahan "retired", everyone knew he would probably be back and that he was just avoiding training camp. Favre kept on going back and forth year after year. If Strahan pulled what he did for another year or two, I would put him in the same place as Favre. I do put him in the same place as Favre as his selfishness of publically speaking out against Tom Coughlin. I felt Strahan's actions there were selfish and inexcusable. I don't care who you are, you never speak out against your coach or GM. I am not going to change my stance on that. Strahan is a bad example since I would put him in a similiar category as Favre. I have little respect for Strahan as a man for his actions his last few years as a Giant. I have Giants fan friends who don't either.

Strahan did it twice, not once. The second time he actually did retire. Strahan was also younger. You love to ignore that obvious part. I refuse to do so.

Ok, I forgot the running game problems. Again, still not the QB fault. Whether Favre coming back or not, the decline probably would have happened. That was my point to begin with.

And I think your point was wrong. You blame Favre for everything from hindering something that wasn't hindered, to global warming, yet you refuse to credit him when something as obvious as a 7 game drop occurs after he leaves Green Bay. There's really no need to continue this in the face of such an obvious bias.

I never said Favre's waffling was unforgivable. As a matter of fact, if I had to put a word to it, I would say that his waffling was just flat out annoying. The media circus he created with it showed (to borrow someone else's word) his extreme narcissism. So no, I don't think it's unforgivable or inexcusable. Favre going to Minnesota would have done that for me. Fortunately for him, he didn't (yet anyway).

People who blame the player for the media reaction need to reassess how the media works. Patriots fans should know this better than most, given spygate.

If he does stay retired, then I wish the best for him. If he comes out of retirement and goes to Minnesota then I can't really see myself ever rooting for him again the way I used to. Picture Brady in a few years waffling over retirement only to actually do it, come out of it, and then sign with the Jets. How would you feel?

Favre was TRADED by the Packers. If the Patriots trade Brady, how can I get on Brady for where he chooses to go once he's free of that new team?

Favre was TRADED by the Packers. If the Patriots trade Brady, how can I get on Brady for where he chooses to go once he's free of that new team?

Favre was only traded because he demanded a trade, and said he would come to training camp and cause problems. He shot his way out of town.

And I think your point was wrong. You blame Favre for everything from hindering something that wasn't hindered, to global warming, yet you refuse to credit him when something as obvious as a 7 game drop occurs after he leaves Green Bay. There's really no need to continue this in the face of such an obvious bias.

You agree that the D was a problem, the running game was a problem yet you put the 7 game drop all on Favre even though the replacement QB had the same numbers that Favre had the year before? I think you have the bias.

You agree that the D was a problem, the running game was a problem yet you put the 7 game drop all on Favre even though the replacement QB had the same numbers that Favre had the year before? I think you have the bias.

I didn't say it was all on Favre, did I? As for the bias, I have no horse in this race. I neither love nor hate Favre. I'd defend Seau, Strahan and anyone else who waffles about retiring, rather than falling for the media coverage as if it means something when it doesn't. It's a brutal sport, and bouncing back and forth about taking that beating should surprise nobody.

People who blame the player for the media reaction need to reassess how the media works. Patriots fans should know this better than most, given spygate.

Believe me, I agree with you about the media. I was a Mass Communications major before I finally became disgusted with their garbage and decided to go after my Master's in Business Administration. The one thing they teach you in these classes (which shouldn't come as a shock to anybody) is that ratings are more important than whether or not there is any truth to a story (of course they don't say as much, but they don't have to). So yes, I see where you are coming from. However, a circus like the one of the past few offseasons doesn't just come from one side of the fence. For lack of a better expression, Favre's hands have blood on them as well.

Yes he was traded. However, he freely admitted that his chief reason for wanting to go the Vikings were to stick it to Ted Thompson and the Packers. If he had done that just to spite the team where he spent the best years of his Hall of Fame career, that would be unforgivable. You said yourself that you can't hate the Patriots for whatever moves they make so we know what side of the coin you favor. Now imagine if Brady says that he wants to sign with the Jets to stick it to BB and Robert Kraft. How would you feel?

Last edited:
Oh, there are some unforgivable sins. Vick and the dogs, Stallworth and the DUI....
Why Stallworth? Include everyone who drinks and gets behind the wheel as an unforgivable sin, even if they arrive safely home and hurt no one, but don't call it unforgivable only if circumstances result in a death.

Anyway, Stallworth is a bad example as the DA basically said that DUI may not even have had an effect, that the same result would have occurred whether Stallworth was impaired or not.

But the sin (as opposed to crime) is getting behind the wheel after taking a drink, not someone stepping in front of your car or whatever.

Why is anything unforgivable, for that matter?

Believe me, I agree with you about the media. I was a Mass Communications major before I finally became disgusted with their garbage and decided to go after my Master's in Business Administration. The one thing they teach you in these classes (which shouldn't come as a shock to anybody) is that ratings are more important than whether or not there is any truth to a story (of course they don't say as much, but they don't have to). So yes, I see where you are coming from. However, a circus like the one of the past few offseasons doesn't just come from one side of the fence. For lack of a better expression, Favre's hands have blood on them as well.

But, as I've said before in slightly different words, "could have handled it better" is not the same as "it's his fault". There is no story except "Favre waffles on retirement" if the media doesn't blow it up.

Yes he was traded. However, he freely admitted that his chief reason for wanting to go the Vikings were to stick it to Ted Thompson and the Packers. If he had done that just to spite the team where he spent the best years of his Hall of Fame career, that would be unforgivable. You said yourself that you can't hate the Patriots for whatever moves they make so we know what side of the coin you favor. Now imagine if Brady says that he wants to sign with the Jets to stick it to BB and Robert Kraft. How would you feel?

If the Patriots stiff Brady the way that Thompson screwed Favre, I'd be on Brady's side and would hope that he'd absolutely crush the Patriots in his return game. That's not about hate for me as a fan. That's about justice and payback. I'd expect that reaction from any rational fan of the Patriots and Brady. Of course, I'd be hoping that the Patriots GM who did such an idiotic thing would get fired before it ever came to that.

Of course, I understand that most fans aren't rational when it comes to this stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back