Welcome to PatsFans.com

Farmers crying over spilled milk

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +371 / 4 / -2

This is why blanket use if the term "regulation" is foolish. Obviously regluations shouldn't be considered four letter words, but at the same time, they shouldn't be celebrated blindly. Regs that make sense are needed, those that don't, need to go. Anyhow, here's one to consider.

EPA classifies milk as oil, forcing costly rules on farmers

Published: Monday, June 14, 2010, 8:01 AM
    Monica Scott The Grand Rapids Press

GRAND RAPIDS -- Having watched the oil gushing in the Gulf of Mexico, dairy farmer Frank Konkel has a hard time seeing how spilled milk can be labeled the same kind of environmental hazard.

But the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) is classifying milk as oil because it contains a percentage of animal fat, which is a non-petroleum oil.

The Hesperia farmer and others would be required to develop and implement spill prevention plans for milk storage tanks. The rules are set to take effect in November, though that date might be pushed back.

"That could get expensive quickly," Konkel said. "We have a serious problem in the Gulf. Milk is a wholesome product that does not equate to spilling oil."

EPA classifies milk as oil, forcing costly rules on farmers | MLive.com
  2. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +424 / 6 / -7

While I am sympathetic as agricultural pollution is a serious problem (I'm sure the New Jersey-sized dead zone in the Gulf of Mexico would attest), I think a separate classification would have been a better idea, here.

I don't think it makes sense to conflate animal and petroleum-based products.
  3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +488 / 2 / -9

Just another little nail in America's coffin.
  4. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +239 / 8 / -26

Sounds like an incredibly stupid rule, milk has been spilled for quite a period now.. has there been longitudinal studies on long term impact...