PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Farley: Tight end still a weak spot

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the TE position is strong. Sure, none of them are pro bowlers but Smith and Baker were starters on their former teams. Watson and Thomas don't see the ball very much because Welker and Moss are better options. Of course, it would be nice for the Pats to have a superstar TE, but it obviously isn't a need. In the end, with the WR's the Pats have, I'd take 4 decent TE's instead of 1 superstar TE with zero depth.

Last edited:
Apparently Farley would have us believe that the only way to judge a tight end's worth is by his number of receptions; if he did not have a career high in catches last year then he needs to be replaced; and since 7th round draft picks did not turn in to pro bowlers that is proof that Belichick has no idea what he is doing in the draft.

No kidding. We have more depth and talent at TE this year than we have at any other time since Belichick has been here.

Pot, meet kettle. I understand you are a Fin Fan with the need to convince Patriot fans how wrong they are, so your posts need not be super logical, but just speaking in general football terms, you are mistaken.

Unless you have an all-pro TE like Gonzales where the majority of big plays are designed for the TE position, the only time you have TEs or RBs catching significant passes conpared to WRs is when you WR corps is weak.

Chicago has the same issue.

There have been a few years when the Pats have had issues on offense. This year isn't one of them.

Hope you enjoyed 2008. It was a magical season.
i really don't think you understand my points at all

the other guy (i forgot his name) said that Nobody has heard of any Tight ends in the Division other than Dustin Keller,

The Dolphins had 2 Tight ends with Comparable Seasons to Keller,
1 with better numbers 1 with worse.

The patriots have the 3rd best Tight ends as a unit in the Division.

And with Fasano having less Catches than Jabar Gafney and having more production, I wouldnt say that fasano was a big part of the offense, unless your saying that Jabar Gaffney was a big part of the pats??

Last edited:
i really don't think you understand my points at all

the other guy (i forgot his name) said that Nobody has heard of any Tight ends in the Division other than Dustin Keller,

The Dolphins had 2 Tight ends with Comparable Seasons to Keller,
1 with better numbers 1 with worse.

The patriots have the 3rd best Tight ends as a unit in the Division.

And with Fasano having less Catches than Jabar Gafney and having more production, I wouldnt say that fasano was a big part of the offense, unless your saying that Jabar Gaffney was a big part of the pats??
Gaffney was a key part of the offense, as was Ben Watson - they were essentially starters from the perspective of NE's frequent 3 & 4 WR formations. Teams were unable to ignore them because Cassel would find them when Moss and Welker were covered.

I'd forgotten Fasano was traded to Miami, he definitely falls into the key player classification for Miami.

The TEs in this division are a pretty interesting bunch.

NE and Mia both have fairly balanced TEs on their rosters, decent receivers, decent blockers, they can move and aren't too limited to any one role. I think the depth tips to NE's side as they enter camp.

NYJ really only have one semi-proven receiving TE, the others on roster are unknown or limited. This could be a serious weak spot for QBs who might need to use the TE as an outlet receiver.

Buffalo has a couple fairly balanced, no-name TEs and the rookie Nelson whom I liked in the draft. If Owens can play well enough to draw coverage from Evans, the TEs could play a stronger role this season if the LBs are left to cover them.

Of the four teams, only the Jesters might be struggling if their receiver situation needs more TE help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes