PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Farley: Patriots in need of special players

Status
Not open for further replies.
With Hobbs gone, the hope would be that Matthew Slater might step in. The Patriots made Slater a fifth-round pick in 2008 with just that in mind, but the UCLA product failed to take the job and run with it his rookie year. He averaged a paltry 14.4 yards on 11 kickoff returns

This does concern me, but im refilling my koolaid as i type :D Maybe it was just my eyes failing, but it always seemed like Slater would only run straight ahead. A simple cut here, and there, and i think he couldve been long gone with his speed. Bad vision perhaps? Oh well, he was a rookie. We'll see what he can do this preseason ;)

This does concern me, but im refilling my koolaid as i type :D Maybe it was just my eyes failing, but it always seemed like Slater would only run straight ahead. A simple cut here, and there, and i think he couldve been long gone with his speed. Bad vision perhaps? Oh well, he was a rookie. We'll see what he can do this preseason ;)
BB and O'Brien obviously thought they could get someone to replace Hobbs - my first choice is Maroney with Slater as his lead blocker. People who got down on Slater last season missed what he was doing as Hobbs' lead man and as a Gunner/Outside containment on the coverage units, the kid had a pretty good year. I think it's also worth noting that on his Kick Returns someone else got to be his lead blocker - it makes a difference.

BB and O'Brien obviously thought they could get someone to replace Hobbs - my first choice is Maroney with Slater as his lead blocker. People who got down on Slater last season missed what he was doing as Hobbs' lead man and as a Gunner/Outside containment on the coverage units, the kid had a pretty good year. I think it's also worth noting that on his Kick Returns someone else got to be his lead blocker - it makes a difference.

Sounds reasonable.

im not real worried at all with our special teams, we have too many versatile athletes who are passionate and hunger to fret bout

tons of leaders as well, brady, faulk, light, mayo, bruschi, adalius, chung, sanders, seymour, etc!!!!! we have alot of special players

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes