PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

FARINELLA: Piling on Moss too easy ... and wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey look, another idiot Moss ball-washer... :rolleyes:

Hoge: Moss 'played his tail off' - Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

When ESPN analyst Merril Hoge first began watching coaches tape of the Patriots' 20-10 win over the Panthers, he anticipated that he would see a lackluster effort from Randy Moss.

He didn't.

Now, after a few days in which Moss has been blasted by critics, Hoge is stepping forward to defend him.

"I didn't see one play where he was sitting around, quit, or was 'useless.' If you're going to use the words 'useless' and 'quit', I'd need to see some stronger evidence than words that come out of a losing locker room," Hoge said. "After I looked at the tape, based on the things I had heard, I expected to see the dog days of Randy Moss. But there was nothing of the sort. He played his tail off.

"This one was wrong. He needed a voice. I was a player, and if I went in to watch tape of myself, saw what I saw, and then read the things that were out there, I would be so furious and upset, asking 'Are you kidding me?'"

Hoge made the point that TV copy of games "never tells the truth."

"When you get caught up watching TV, you might think you know things," he said. "But when you put on [coaches] tape, that's the real story."

Hoge will be sharing his thoughts on SportsCenter and NFL Live today.

Facts:

-Prior to the NYJ game, Moss was averaging 6.4 catches & 96 yards a game.

-Including the NYJ game and since then, he has averaged 2.75 catches and 46 yards a game.

-8 of Brady's 11 INTs this year have been targeted to Moss.

I can think of 6 possibilities for the downslope in his performance.

A) Submitting a overall inconsistient, lack-luster effort.

B) Is "pressing", frustrated and has gone into a slump/funk, but is still giving mostly an honest effort. His fundementals and technique may be suffering.

C) For whatever reason, is not 100% focused on his job and his performance is suffering. His fundementals and technique may be suffering.

D) Defenses are playing him differently (safety up top) and the coaching staff has come up with nothing to help him be sucessful and he can't overcome it.

E) He is injured and not capable of helping the team (not listed on the injury report makes this unlikely, although it is possible) as he did prior to the NYJ game.

F) Brady and Moss have have somehow lost their synergy AND/OR Brady is incapable of getting Moss the ball.

Personally, I think it's a combination of B, C, D with A and F the by-products. I would have to think that something about E would be leaked out. I am aware that he was having a back issue earlier this year. However, he played though that and was very effective.

My .02$

Last edited:
Forget the media bias, you have a bias against Randy Moss. I don't care WHERE it comes from, but you are biased against him. When have you called out another Patriot for quitting? NEVER. And you cannot sit there and say that no other Patriots have short armed a pass, made mental errors, looked as if they misplayed something, looked as if they could have broken up a pass to your eyes on TV.

I don't have a bias against Moss. Funny, you must have missed in another thread that if the coaches' film shows otherwise and more than one reviewer said it is otherwise, I will conceed I am wrong and he just quit on a couple of plays.

When have I called out another player for quitting? I called out the entire team for quitting against the Saints. I have trashed individual plenty of the years.

I have never ever said that no Patriots player has short armed a pass or made a mental error. In fact, I call them out most of the time. Before maverick4 got banned, he constantly blasting me for blaming players for losses rather than McDaniels and the rest of the coaching staff. But if you are more concerned with getting hit than catching the ball, I will say you quit on the play whether you are Randy Moss, Wes Welker, or some scrub.

I guess the thing is, the "dog" still takes up a corner and safety and gets some good blocks in. So even in a bad game, he helps us win. Let's see what he does in Buffalo.

I don't have a bias against Moss. Funny, you must have missed in another thread that if the coaches' film shows otherwise and more than one reviewer said it is otherwise, I will conceed I am wrong and he just quit on a couple of plays.

So in fact the media actually DOES give you your opinion?

When have I called out another player for quitting? I called out the entire team for quitting against the Saints. I have trashed individual plenty of the years.

Did you not read my post, that is my point. Other players have done the exact same things as Moss did this past game and you never called them out for "quitting". It's the stigma attached to Moss, but you refuse to believe that anything or anyone could influence your opinions.

I have never ever said that no Patriots player has short armed a pass or made a mental error. In fact, I call them out most of the time. Before maverick4 got banned, he constantly blasting me for blaming players for losses rather than McDaniels and the rest of the coaching staff. But if you are more concerned with getting hit than catching the ball, I will say you quit on the play whether you are Randy Moss, Wes Welker, or some scrub.

You sure are spending a lot of effort on Moss' short-arm though

So in fact the media actually DOES give you your opinion?

Not really, but I will conceed the coach's tape will have things I can't see on TV. If someone has more information than I have in a particular incidences if they have coorborating, I will defer to them until someone disproves them with the same or better information. I won't use this particular case form my long term opinion of Moss like I haven't used any other incidence form my opinion of him in individual incidences.

This isn't the first time Moss has been shut out in games. He did disapear in the playoffs in the 2007 season and I never accused him of dogging it.

Did you not read my post, that is my point. Other players have done the exact same things as Moss did this past game and you never called them out for "quitting". It's the stigma attached to Moss, but you refuse to believe that anything or anyone could influence your opinions.

Again, if I feel a player quit on an individual play, I most certainly will and have called them out. I felt there were several plays Moss quit on though. Still do.

You sure are spending a lot of effort on Moss' short-arm though

I wouldn't if you didn't argue back. It isn't the first time I have gotten into heated arguments about a single play on this board. Won't be the last.

Last edited:
I felt there were several plays Moss quit on though. Still do.

Except you barely have any point with any of those plays except for the short-arm which isn't uncommon in the NFL.

If I can see the DB playing outside on the TV feed and Hoge can see it on the coach's film, what makes you think Randy Moss didn't see it and adjust his route accordingly?

Except you barely have any point with any of those plays except for the short-arm which isn't uncommon in the NFL.

If I can see the DB playing outside on the TV feed and Hoge can see it on the coach's film, what makes you think Randy Moss didn't see it and adjust his route accordingly?

That is your opinion, but you have established your Pro Moss bias in the other thread by stating that Moss will definitely retire a Pat because he will retire gracefully and there is no way Belichick would even consider cutting or trading him or not resigning him when his contract is up basically ignoring the trends of the last decade of this team.

That is your opinion, but you have established your Pro Moss bias in the other thread by stating that Moss will definitely retire a Pat because he will retire gracefully and there is no way Belichick would even consider cutting or trading him or not resigning him when his contract is up basically ignoring the trends of the last decade of this team.

It's terrible form to put words in others mouth. I never said there is no way BB would consider cutting, trading or not resigning him. I never said he would DEFINITELY retire a Pat. I said it's pretty clear in MY OPINION that he WILL. I'm not saying for a fact it will happen. Now get over yourself please. The fact that you argue so much with my OPINION on Moss retiring here, proves YOUR bias against the guy.

Tell us about his stats in the 2007 playoffs.
Such as if not for Asante Samuel 'playing when he wants to play', then Moss would have had the game winning touchdown?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back