PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Fantasy Football: Patriots Starters

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoCal Bong

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
I’ve been fortunate enough to reach the championship for two of my fantasy leagues and on each I have a few Patriots which I have to decide whether they are worthy of starting (options listed in parentheses):

Brady (Vick at TB)
Dillon (Sean Alexander vs. Indy & Tiki Barber at Washington)
Vinatieri (Josh Scobee at Houston)
Branch

I found Reiss’s mailbag response unusual considering BB’s comments (see below)

Reiss’s Blog
Belichick was asked how he can balance the ledger between resting some players vs. maintaining the team’s momentum over the final two games. Since the Patriots have clinched the AFC East title, he could potentially rest some players. “We’re treating this like a regular week,†Belichick said. “Put it in the headline, bold type: regular week. Players know that, staff knows it. That’s the balance. … To me, long term in this business is at the most one week. It’s a day at a time and one week. Right now that is our approach to the Jet game.

Reiss’s mailbag
As for whether the Patriots should play 'em or rest 'em, I believe the answer is pretty simple based on the way the next few weeks play out. They should play the bulk of the starters at least a half against the Jets on Monday night, with the purpose of staying in rhythm and continuing to build positive momentum. Then, coming back on a short week to play the Dolphins, they should play a few series before heading to the bench.

ESPN Fantasy Column:
That means owners of the Indianapolis Colts and Seattle Seahawks, who coincidentally face off Saturday, have something to worry about, as do to a lesser extent owners of the New England Patriots, who could be locked into the No. 4 seed in the AFC before their Monday Night kickoff.

I’m hoping there will be better info available by Friday but please let me know your opinions of who is worthy of starting or post other relevant info you come across.

Start brady, Barber, and alexander. Scobee is hot, and would be agood start as well... although viniteiri sometimes gets alot

I have reached the SB in my league also. (Not the PAtsfans one, I siucked there)
I have had Brady and Manning all year. I started Brady more often than not (only using Manning when I thought the PAts would run a lot, or there may be bad weather, or when Manning was aplaying a cream puff to build his stats)

I have Dillon, along with McGahee, Portis and Mike Anderson. I switch my backs a lot, but always play Dillon when he is healthy.

I have Branch, who I have started every game, but last week. I just thought he wouldnt be as big a part of the O in that game.

I picked up the Pats D as a FA. I have started them over Tampa and Pitt the last 3 weeks. That move was the biggest reason I won the last 2 weeks playoff games.

Now I get to start the Pats D vs the Jets in the SB, along with Brady, Dillon, and Branch.

(I have also had Graham and Watson off and on, dropping them when hurt)

I should win the SB, and half my team is Pats!!!!!

My superbowl teams (I have two):
Brady, Anderson, Edj. James, Burress, Wayne, Gonzo, Vin, Colts D.... plus many more.
That team is basically unstoppable :-D the other team is better, i dont feel like looking at it tho

AndyJohnson said:
Now I get to start the Pats D vs the Jets in the SB, along with Brady, Dillon, and Branch.

I should win the SB, and half my team is Pats!!!!!

So you're not concerned that those starters will be pulled in the 3rd quarter if say the Pats are up 14-0?

What is BB's M.O. in these situations? I think the Pats usually have homefield to play for til the end so I'm not sure how far back you would have to go to see what the Pats did in a "meaningless" game.

Last edited:
I too have Brady and Dillon. I plan on playing them but just in case an anouncement comes out monday before the game that Brady isn't playing I picked up Flutie. I figure if he plays and I insert him in the starting line-up, Flutie will get me a couple points.

My question is should I play Edjerin James or Ryan Moats from the Eagles?

the eagles play arizona? id start james... but dont start him cuss i say so, i started domanick davis over dunn last week and he turned out to be out at the last second :-(

SoCal Bong said:
So you're not concerned that those starters will be pulled in the 3rd quarter if say the Pats are up 14-0?

What is BB's M.O. in these situations? I think the Pats usually have homefield to play for til the end so I'm not sure how far back you would have to go to see what the Pats did in a "meaningless" game.

No I dont think he pulls them, and I think they will pile up a ton of points before getting pulled.
If the Pats only have 14 points by the 3rd quarter, I'll be shocked.

By the way, last year I made the SB with Brady at QB. Whoever my backup was was injured.
The SB was week 17, so I had to face Brady sitting most of the game vs the 9ers. (There was nothing to play for) I had to pick up a QB and used Vinny F-ing Testaverde in the SB. Brady ended up playing into the 4th quarter, and vinny was Vinny. I lost.

fleabassist1 said:
the eagles play arizona? id start james... but dont start him cuss i say so, i started domanick davis over dunn last week and he turned out to be out at the last second :-(

I'm worried about if James will play this week.

im in four leagues
made all playoffs
made three championships (two patsfans)
two of them im the commish (one patsfans)

the non patsfans league that im in the championship is a money league with friends, eight ppl make it up

i have done so many trades and now i have maybe the best team ever put together in fantasy football history (well maybe not, but it is my best team ever)
starting positions: 2 qbs, 3 wrs, 3 rbs, 1 te, 1 wr/te, 1 wr/rb, 1 def, 1 k, 1 d, 1 dl, 1 db

my team:
qbs:
carson palmer
(had marc bulger and leftwich)
david garrard
steve mcnair
jamie martin

rbs:
ladanian tomlinson
larry johnson
shaun alexander
ronnie brown
jamal lewis
frank gore

wrs:
torry holt
chad johnson
anquan boldin
tj houshmandzadeh
darrell jackson
samie parker

tes:
antonio gates
jeremy stevens

def:
carolina
pats
pitt

dl:
zach thomas
jonathan vilma

db:
champ bailey

k:
jay feeley

my q's this week
should i start pats d?
should i start shaun alexander?
who should i start as number two qb?

Who do you think is a better start this week: Hasselbeck or Brunell? Or Boller? :D

Here are the top 10 QB rankings per ESPN:

Quarterbacks

1. Carson Palmer vs. Buf
2. Drew Brees at KC
3. Trent Green vs. SD
4. Matt Hasselbeck vs. Ind
5. David Garrard at Hou
6. Jake Plummer vs. Oak
7. Tom Brady at NYJ
8. Ben Roethlisberger at Cle
9. Jake Delhomme vs. Dal
10. Eli Manning at Was

I hate to say it but with the Dungy tragedy, starting Hasselbeck against the Colts might not be such a bad idea. Great chance that a less than full effort is put out by the Colts.

I'm still struggling on who to start at RB. I'v got:
Dillon (at the Jets)
Tiki Barber (at Redskins)
Alexander (vs. Colts)

Since I'll be at the game I'd like to play Dillon but I think I should stick with the horses.

Also debating kickers between Vinatieri & Josh Scobee of Jacksonville (at Houston).

SoCal Bong said:
I hate to say it but with the Dungy tragedy, starting Hasselbeck against the Colts might not be such a bad idea. Great chance that a less than full effort is put out by the Colts.

true that, but remember what happened with the giants when their owner died... the killed the redskins (and they were only favored by 7)

I have my championship this week aswell and I'm having issues with my Rb's. My usual starters are Edgerin James and Lamont Jordan (hurt & will not play this week. On my bench i have Julius Jones, D. Rhodes and Crokett. Do I dare start J. Jones and Z. Crokett as my Rb's? I also have the Pats D and Rams D, I know the Pats D has been playing real good as of late but the Rams play the niners in St. Louis and Alex Smith always turns the ball over.

I dont have that problem :)
I have 5 leagues, and in three im not in the championship.
in the one that i am, i have
Larry Johnson
Sean Alexander
and in the other i have
Larry Johnson
Sean Alexander

:-D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back