PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Fans at the game today: boo to you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Our fans are "dog-fakers"

I turned the game off after we didn't convert the 4th down maybe midway through the 4th. That was a few plays after Edelman's AMAZING 4th down effort that was called back on holding. I hope enough people were there to give him a huge ovation for that. But once that drive ended, the game was over. I can't blame anyone who left at that point. There's nothing left to play for, and really it's not a big deal IMO if you don't want to stick around for meaningless football.

I don't appreciate being called a fair weather fan. I have had season tickets since 1993 and I left yesterday after the Ravens scored in the 4th quarter, along with many others who stayed until then. I am a diehard fan and was sorely disappointed with our team's performance. I booed a little and cajoled a lot. I even cheered when we made a handful of good plays. Didn't make a difference to what was happening on the field.

While I am not a fan of booing (you in fact are fueling the opposing team as silence on the road is good but turning the fans against the home team is even better), the leaving early I don't see as an issue. When a game is over, and that game was over yesterday early, but for the other team's victory dance, why would you be rooted to your seat? To applaud the effort or a decent season record?

When your team is getting beaten like a Salvation Army drum, you either suffer in silence, leave or boo. Paying to suffer through a beating is masochistic and I suspect the boos do little to fuel the team as career football players likely know when they put up a stinker and you are therefore only pointing out the obvious. I wouldn't fault anyone who left early yesterday. Not wanting to join your team as it is beaten senseless is not called fair weather, it's called common sense. Unlike boos, I suspect players are much less likely to take exception to fans leaving as they are getting drubbed.

Sure ... booing is fine.

But being loud when the other team is calling it's signals is important.

Ravens had no problem calling signals when we were attempting to come back.

Booo to the pathetic fans not helping their team win.

It's not why we lost ... but it is still sad to see.

Have to disagree. Fans were loud and standing on all defensive snaps until the 4th quarter. Flacco didn't have to call any plays. Every one was run up the middle for at least 5 yards. That is the killer. Flacco is a terrible QB. Almost every time he dropped to pass it was incomplete, intercepted or almost intercepted. If he actually had to call and win the game, we had a great shot to win. Since the run D didn't show up on the first play from scrimmage and our O gave Flacco a short field for almost the entire game (certainly for the whole first quarter), Flacco didn't have to beat us.

While I am not a fan of booing (you in fact are fueling the opposing team as silence on the road is good but turning the fans against the home team is even better), the leaving early I don't see as an issue. When a game is over, and that game was over yesterday early, but for the other team's victory dance, why would you be rooted to your seat? To applaud the effort or a decent season record?

When your team is getting beaten like a Salvation Army drum, you either suffer in silence, leave or boo. Paying to suffer through a beating is masochistic and I suspect the boos do little to fuel the team as career football players likely know when they put up a stinker and you are therefore only pointing out the obvious. I wouldn't fault anyone who left early yesterday. Not wanting to join your team as it is beaten senseless is not called fair weather, it's called common sense. Unlike boos, I suspect players are much less likely to take exception to fans leaving as they are getting drubbed.

I've already posted my opinion here that (A). booing is stupid, (B). leaving early makes no real sense. I do neither. But for those who DO boo and leave early, I've got to wonder how much these people really enjoy pro football. I just love being there and taking it all in, win or lose, regardless of score. The athleticism is amazing, and the atmosphere is invigorating. There always are interesting things to see up to the very end of even a lopsided loss.

Personally, I pay a lot of money for and devote a lot of time to these games -- travel, food, etc. It's an expensive, day-long investment in a three-hour event. Why would anyone choose cut that three hours short? It's not like people have something pressing to attend to. I don't get it, but it isn't just Gillette where this happens, it's anywhere an NFL team experiences similar circumstances.

I don't appreciate being called a fair weather fan. I have had season tickets since 1993 and I left yesterday after the Ravens scored in the 4th quarter, along with many others who stayed until then. I am a diehard fan and was sorely disappointed with our team's performance. I booed a little and cajoled a lot. I even cheered when we made a handful of good plays. Didn't make a difference to what was happening on the field.

If you arm-chair fans are so great, why don't you shell out thousands of dollars each year, brave hours of traffic and finding an all day babysitter every time there is a home game; stand in line for an hour for the ladies room if you dare to have to go any time after kickoff; worry about whether you are going to find a parking space, etc., etc., etc. Since I have been a season ticket holder, in both the new and old stadiums, basically the same people show up year after year to cheer the team on. If you can do it so much better, then you should buy tickets and come to the games.

Boo-F**king-Hoo.

I think everyone here would kill to be season ticket holders if they had the means (ie, $$, and on waiting list long enough) to.

Honestly, it's kind of absurd that you're whining about the experience of going to a Patriots game when there have been people on the waiting list for season tickets since last millennium.

I know people are upset at the lack of effort and preparation of the pats players, but why are you taking it out on the fans? There's really only 1 point in this whole thread. The game wasn't sold out, and hundreds of tickets were available right up to game time. So don't sit in your warm house next to your fridge and whine about fans leaving early, when you can't be inconvienced to get of your fat butt and purchase 1 of the many available tickets. It's like whining about the results of an election after you decided not to go out and vote! Please don't talk about how you would have stayed until the end...because you didn't even bother to show up. The ones who have the right to criticize are those fans that went to the game and stayed to listen to Kelly Washington taunt them after the game was over. No one else.

Boo-F**king-Hoo.

I think everyone here would kill to be season ticket holders if they had the means (ie, $$, and on waiting list long enough) to.

Honestly, it's kind of absurd that you're whining about the experience of going to a Patriots game when there have been people on the waiting list for season tickets since last millennium.

Did you go? Did you even spend 5 minutes to look online for available tickets?

That's what i am saying ... a team is only to be cheered for when winning?

What ever happened to helping them win.

Flacco had no trouble calling signals today which is supposed to be a home field advantage.

This statement is beyond dumb. Everyone watching on TV, in the stadium, on the sideline, and especially those 22 players on the field knew what was coming almost every single play. You could have shot off cannons next to Flacco and it wouldn't have mattered.

Did you go? Did you even spend 5 minutes to look online for available tickets?

The only way I get to go to a game is when someone I know with season tickets is afraid to brave a storm or something of that ilk and I do go. Otherwise, I rightly assume getting tickets is futile. I have tried on many occasions.

Besides, I'm sorry, do I have to fork over $$ to prove my worth as a fan? The amount of time and energy I spend on this team I think suffices. I go to training camp and support them b/c I can afford to do so and its open to the public. Do the people that go to these games seriously think they are better fans b/c they are lucky enough to a) be able to attend b) have enough money to attend.

Get over yourselves season ticket holders (and this isn't aimed at the above poster, necessarily), you all should've stayed at the game, and you shouldn't have booed. Its pathetic and embarrassing for our fanbase that that happened yesterday. I'm sorry for all the season ticket holders that make such a huge sacrifice to go to these games, b/c that's basically all I hear about it - seriously, how often do we hear these people that go to the games complain about the weather, the stadium, the traffic. Shut up. If you don't like it, don't go, and let someone on the waiting list on.

That's the problem with these people that booed and left in the 3rd quarter. They think because they are spending money they are owed something. Give me a break, the New England Patriots are not your employees b/c you spend money on them. You are paying money to witness highly skilled people compete against other highly skilled people. It has nothing to do with the fans.

Last edited:
The way I look at it is if you are a fan or even just a football fan in general and you go to ANY game in the wintertime with extreme cold and wind like the one was yesterday then you deserve to boo or do as you please.

Its easier to say the fans were wrong when you are sitting in your 68 degree home in a recliner instead of being all dressed up in layers of clothing for 3 hours only to see the team you are rooting for is getting thier asses whipped early and often and to find out that your discomfort in being in cold conditions is for naught and just to see your beloved team not make any type of effort...Seriously I can't understand the reasoning behind the fan b!tching yesterday...the team sucked,was unprepared as a professional team in a playoff game and deserved all the boos from Maine to Connecticut IMO.

Last edited:
The way I look at it is if you are a fan or even just a football fan in general and you go to ANY game in the wintertime with extreme cold and wind like the one was yesterday then you deserve to boo or do as you please.

Going to the game is a voluntary activity. Two of the games I've managed to obtain tickets for this decade were during snowstorms.

I don't see why my ability to brave the cold/snow for a few hours should compare with the sacrifice these players make physically and mentally to play this game. Anyone who does needs some friggin perspective.

Last edited:

I've already posted my opinion here that (A). booing is stupid, (B). leaving early makes no real sense. I do neither. But for those who DO boo and leave early, I've got to wonder how much these people really enjoy pro football. I just love being there and taking it all in, win or lose, regardless of score. The athleticism is amazing, and the atmosphere is invigorating. There always are interesting things to see up to the very end of even a lopsided loss.

I guess my view on leaving is if something or someone I care about is getting pounded by a third party, it is in my nature to intervene and stop that third party. If that third party tells me to watch as it pounds the object I care about and stand by helpless as it happens, that will not happen. To me, it's like cheering for the underdog boxer who cannot lift his hand to block the punches and is taking damaging blows from the opposing fighter to the extent you are concerned about permanent damage. No chance of winning the fight, only the question of how bad the resulting damage will be. While some may stay to watch the damage, I'm leaving. I will always check the reports after I leave, but I won't stand and look at the train wreck. There are certainly players who will show character by playing on at that point, but in a team sport that is little consolation.

When exactly was the public informed that there were tickets still available?

I guess my view on leaving is if something or someone I care about is getting pounded by a third party, it is in my nature to intervene and stop that third party. If that third party tells me to watch as it pounds the object I care about and stand by helpless as it happens, that will not happen. To me, it's like cheering for the underdog boxer who cannot lift his hand to block the punches and is taking damaging blows from the opposing fighter to the extent you are concerned about permanent damage. No chance of winning the fight, only the question of how bad the resulting damage will be. While some may stay to watch the damage, I'm leaving. I will always check the reports after I leave, but I won't stand and look at the train wreck. There are certainly players who will show character by playing on at that point, but in a team sport that is little consolation.

Yeah, but it's still a sporting event -- everyone walks off the field afterward and goes home. I think it's worthwhile sticking around to see who still plays hard when all is lost, how coaches and players react to adversity, what's happening on the sidelines, etc., etc. There's always something to see and learn about.

Last edited:
For those who say "Why Patriots, Ticketmaster, and etc did not personally call me and tell me that tickets were available?"

1. I knew there were tickets available and I already had tickets of my own.

2. Before I was STH, I checked Ticketmaster every Friday before a game for tickets that were released. The tickets may have been originally held for players' families, visiting teams, and etc. During cold games, more tickets are available. And because I bought from ticketmaster in the past, they emailed the Patriots ticket alert.

3. If you are on the season tickets waiting list and checked the ticket exchange, you would know that tickets have been available since Tuesday.

4. In the past, I personally bought tickets ebay and stub hub at a higher price. Sad thing is you could have bought tickets for less than printed price.

5. If PatsFans leaves sticky called "Urgent: Pats fans wanted. Non SRO Tickets are available for purchase", I will happily report whenever I see non-SRO tickets available.

When exactly was the public informed that there were tickets still available?

It was either on this messageboard or the other one that I frequent that had a thread last Tuesday discussing the possibility of the game being blacked out because there were still thousands of tickets available. I thought it was common knowledge that there were tickets available, especially with the frigid temperatures that were forecasted, but maybe not.

Going to the game is a voluntary activity. Two of the games I've managed to obtain tickets for this decade were during snowstorms.

I don't see why my ability to brave the cold/snow for a few hours should compare with the sacrifice these players make physically and mentally to play this game. Anyone who does needs some friggin perspective.

Wait, but thats what you did to the fans that left early. You criticized them for not staying to the end, but you yourself never even made an ettempt to go? Thats quite a double standard there.

Look, I did not go to the game yesterday. If I had, I would stayed until the bitter end because I would have already spent hundreds of dollars for the tickets, parking, etc. However, I can't fault those that left early. I believe, as you said so yourself that "the game is a voluntary activity". That means the fans can leave whenever they wish.

Boo-F**king-Hoo.

I'm not whining about the experience of going to the game. I'm whining about being called a fair weather fan by the likes of you.

If I were making what these guys are making I would expect to be mentally and physically ready to play any game....maybe that is me but its what I think,give me 5 or $10M a year and see how mentally I can get myself up for a season.

A good portion of the players in this league IMO are there to get a paycheck and don't worry so much about being a champion,thats why some teams never get good because their players don't give a damn...thats the truth and what seperates bad from good teams.

I can tell you this much,there are some players on this years team who want big bucks but don't want to play extra hard for them nor care about anything but the $$$,we need to find who those are and get them out.

Last edited:
Our team mailed it in. It was a pitiful effort and they deserved to be booed. The booing didn't really start until the interception during the drive after Brady fumbled. If they were genuinely trying, I think most would not have booed. But it was patently obvious that they were soft, under-prepared, and lackadaisical. Brady was more concerned about keeping his legs untouched than he was about winning the game, Moss looked slower than Haloti Ngata, and the defense gave up 4.5 yards per carry against a team that ran 52 times! When a team is running small variations of the same running play 84% of the time and 50% of the times they do pass its on 3rd and long, it is absolutely pitiful to give up that kind of yardage. Even ignoring Ray Rice's long run, the defense still gave up 3 yards a carry.

So yes i booed. I was embarrassed by the effort and I wanted them to stop sucking. When they did good things I cheered. Note how Brady's last int was not booed. That's because it was fluky and nobody really blamed him for it.

To the armchair quarterbacks complaining about season ticket holders: ANYBODY COULD HAVE GONE TO THE GAME. Tickets did not even sell out. I am not a season ticket holder and I have no special connection and I still went. So stop acting all high and mighty. I was very appreciative of the opportunity to be there and I'm sure so was everybody else. What people in the stadium were not appreciative was our team's anemic effort. I felt scammed out of my hundred bucks.

And to those complaining about people leaving early:
It was absurdly cold out. It took me about five hours to thaw out after the game and I had three layers of clothing on underneath my outerwear. People wanted to warm up and were leaving a game that already had been lost. Is there anything so wrong with that? I stayed to the bitter end, but it was out of irrational stubbornness and it was stupid for me to do so.

In conclusion, stop your *****ing. While I certainly appreciate that tickets are expensive and that good fans can help a team win, you are directing your anger at the wrong crowd. In my experience the season ticket holders have been a really nice bunch. Some are loaded, others not so much. Most are just as passionate about football as you are, whether or not you want to admit it. In general, the small percentage of idiots amongst those who attend individual games have been a much bigger problem than the season ticket holders.

It seems like each game I do go to there are always a couple of the "RAH RAH WHATEVAH GUY" type who insist on standing the whole game, often shirtless, and swearing at those behind them for not doing the same. Anyone who's been to a few games realizes that there are ways to be an enthusiastic (and drunk if you prefer) fan without being an ass, and also appreciates the value of a ticket and appreciates that the logistics of traffic and parking sometimes makes an early exit look attractive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes