PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

FanBall: Nnamdi Asomugha to Become Free Agent?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Nnamdi Asomugha to Become Free Agent?

Although I doubt Asomugha will become a free agent, I don't think the Pats have to cut a single player to sign him. The Pats are about $11 million under the cap. Even if they sign him for a contract for $10 million a year, his first few years of the contract would probably have a manageable cap number of $5-6 million or maybe less. So we would still have $4-5 million. The Pats have several players they could restructure most notably Brady to avoid cutting anyone.

As for why not resign Samuel. It is because Asomugha is just a lot better. He is the closest thing to a shutdown CB you can get these days. I would take him over Samuel in a heartbeat.
Great post. Agreed!
DW Toys

This guy is better than Asante ... they sign Hall and now they may have to cut him ... sure is sweet to have Bill & Scott on our side. If we had that luxury you know Bill goes with the kid and signs a FS to help him out ... I mean that's how we get the rings.
How about Huff? The Raiders will move him if they can't get a deal done to keep all three. 6' 1" and 205 with the ability to add 10lbs. 85 Tackles 14 PD and and interception and a sack.

I think then the Raiders move Aso to FS. He's like 6' 2" and 210lbs.

Huffs salary is $6.43mm
DW Toys

Curious as to what posters on here are basing their completely definitive opinions that NA>>>>Asante? The three Raiders games you have seen in the last five years?

It's not just people on this board. Over on ESPN, Scout, Inc. gives Asomugha a grade of 88 and Samuel a grade of 83. I'm sure if you ask most NFL analysts who actually know what they are talking about, they would pick Asomugha over Samuel.

lets hope he dont get cut cause he would end up a jet or a fin the pats dont have the money to get him

I don't know how he would end up a Jet if the Pats don't have the money. The Pats have more cap space than the Jets do by about $4-5 million.

Yes. The Pats could sign him to a realistic contract. But my point is there are lots of other teams who could pay him a lot, lot, more on the open market. My guess is the guy going for his first big pay day will sign with the team offering him a lot, lot more.

As far as others citing stats suggesting NA is far superior to Asante, maybe I'm just a little less reluctant to throw former Pats under the bus than others, but I'd rather pay the guy who has already succeeded in the Pats system with back-to-back 10 INT & 6 INT seasons than throw the money at guy who was never really fully tested on a bad Raiders defense.

First, it isn't throwing Samuel under the bus to say that Asomugha is better than Samuel. It is recognizing that Asomugha is probably the second best CB in the league. Asomugha is better than Samuel. It isn't degrading Samuel to say that. It is hyping Asomugha.

Second, the Pats have enough cap room to make a deal rivaling any team in the league if they wish. The question is whether they want to. In fact, they are in a better position than many of the teams with tons of cap room.

Having $30 million in cap room does not equal real dollars. To sign a guy like Asomugha, you need real dollars to get the deal done. You see teams like Tampa, Buffalo, Minnesotta, etc. with tons of cap room; but not make plays for big name free agents because they don't have the real dollars to shell out these eight figure signing bonuses. That has nothing to do with the cap, but based on revenues, profits, and how much they can borrow. Smaller market teams can't compete in that area. The Pats being one of the top three revenue generators in the NFL could easily afford a bonus of Asomugha in the eight figures if they choose to.

Last edited:

Having $30 million in cap room does not equal real dollars. To sign a guy like Asomugha, you need real dollars to get the deal done. You see teams like Tampa, Buffalo, Minnesotta, etc. with tons of cap room; but not make plays for big name free agents because they don't have the real dollars to shell out these eight figure signing bonuses. That has nothing to do with the cap, but based on revenues, profits, and how much they can borrow. Smaller market teams can't compete in that area. The Pats being one of the top three revenue generators in the NFL could easily afford a bonus of Asomugha in the eight figures if they choose to.

Are you saying a team like Tampa that is $30M under the cap doesn't have $30M in real dollars to pay out? I've never heard that (not that I'm doubting it) and want to make sure I'm understanding you correctly. That would mean that the cap for small market teams is actually an inflated number that will never be met. In that case, so much for parity.

Are you saying a team like Tampa that is $30M under the cap doesn't have $30M in real dollars to pay out? I've never heard that (not that I'm doubting it) and want to make sure I'm understanding you correctly. That would mean that the cap for small market teams is actually an inflated number that will never be met. In that case, so much for parity.

It's not $30 million in cap room means $30 million in real money. Say you sign a guy to a six year, $40 million contract with $12 million in guarantees. The team might shell out $15 million in real money for bonuses and salary in the first year of the contract, but the cap number is only $5-6 million. To spend $30 million in cap dollars on new free agents is far more than $30 million in real money unless teams make signing bonuses into a roster bonus that counts on the year given.

Even so, I don't think many teams can afford to spend to the cap and will end up doing creative accounting to push the cap savings into future years. This is why there is an impending lockout. The cap is growing too fast for a lot of teams to keep up with the minimum cap spending.

Last edited:

It's not $30 million in cap room means $30 million in real money. Say you sign a guy to a six year, $40 million contract with $12 million in guarantees. The team might shell out $15 million in real money for bonuses and salary in the first year of the contract, but the cap number is only $5-6 million. To spend $30 million in cap dollars on new free agents is far more than $30 million in real money unless teams make signing bonuses into a roster bonus that counts on the year given.

Even so, I don't think many teams can afford to spend to the cap and will end up doing creative accounting to push the cap savings into future years. This is why there is an impending lockout. The cap is growing too fast for a lot of teams to keep up with the minimum cap spending.

Thanks for the info. I knew that the impending lockout was because of the 2 sides disagreeing about how to split the $$$. But I wasn't aware how bad the current situation is for small market teams.

Why the hell would the Raiders give away a draft pick for a CB when they already have one that's almost if not, as good. Then cut the other one. Makes absolutely no sense to me. It's like if we traded for Deangelo Hall and let Samuel go and then signed Hall for more money.

Why the hell would the Raiders give away a draft pick for a CB when they already have one that's almost if not, as good. Then cut the other one. Makes absolutely no sense to me. It's like if we traded for Deangelo Hall and let Samuel go and then signed Hall for more money.

those are exactly the reasons why the raiders just may pull this off

We are talking about Al Davis here, aren't we? This is the same guy who made Tommy Kelly the highest paid DT in the league. A guy most NFL fans outside the Oakland area have never heard of. If Davis cut Jamarcus Russell tomorrow, I wouldn't be shocked.

Who knows? Asomugha may have told the Raiders that he would rather sit out the year than sign with them.

My guess is that Al Davis is going to keep both CBs (remember all this talk has started because of speculation from Mike Florio and not even a rumor) and Hall becomes the Raiders' #2 CB. I think Davis knows his days on this Earth are significantly numbered and he wants to try to buy a championship before he kicks the bucket. Granted someone should tell him that stupid spending doesn't work.

I think then the Raiders move Aso to FS. He's like 6' 2" and 210lbs.

Huffs salary is $6.43mm
DW Toys

Even with Hall Aso is #1 CB moving him to safety especially with a 10mil franchise tag price is insane even for tha Raiders. Oak converted him from Safety in College to CB. With crappy Safetys like Derrick Gibson, Stu Schwregert, Ray Buchannon, etc... Aso stayed as a CB. Now that Aso is a Top CB they gonna move him to safety....... Not gonna happen.

Do you have any facts to back up these assertions??

http://content.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/salaries/totalpayroll.aspx?year=2006
http://content.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/salaries/totalpayroll.aspx?year=2007

Seems to contradict your argument.

It would be like the Raiders to let Asomugha go and sign D. Hall. What complete morons, if they do let him become a FA. I hope this is true, because this guy IMO is the second best corner in the league behind A.Cromartie. I would wet my pants if this guy came to play with the Pats. He's absolutely worth the money. He's a stand up guy too...a hard worker and good team player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes