Welcome to PatsFans.com

Famous Atheist

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Harry Boy, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +968 / 2 / -9

He's Not Sure That God Doesn't Exist.

I still say that there's something out there, everythinng you see around you just didn't happen with a Bang, if it did, what caused the Bang.

Two humans have sex and that produces another human, figure that one out, are there people who believe that wasn't planned, are there people who believe that suddenly out of nowhere out of nothing The Universe Appeared.

Is Billy Graham right, was Martin Luther King Jr right, IS THERE A GOD ALMIGHTY............:confused:

So Help Me God (presidents say when taking the oath of office)

Richard Dawkins: I can't be sure God does not exist - Telegraph

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  2. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,768 / 35 / -29

#87 Jersey

My only problem with God Harry is who created God? I mean someone or some entity had to create God ... no way he came out of the big bang. So ... if that is true then why has God hidden who created him all these years?

Why the big mystery?

or

He simply never existed in the 1st place.

3. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +349 / 7 / -4

Bingo.

It's amusing to hear people try to claim w/certainty that god must exist, because otherwise, where did everything come from? Yet while they'll accept on faith -- and that's exactly what it is -- that a god somehow always existed, they can't accept that anything else ever did?

It's an attempt to use logic to defend faith, and that will fail 100% of the time -- just as attempts to use logic to prove faith wrong will fail 100% of the time.

As for Dawkins, good for him. I think anybody -- religious or atheist -- who claims to know with certainty is lying -- if not to the rest of us, then to themselves. And anybody who hasn't had some level of doubt about their beliefs -- religious or atheist -- should probably be feared, because they'd have to be unthinking zealots not to wonder at some point.

4. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +359 / 9 / -13

Many people who believe in some religions ( I include atheist in this) do so because they don't have faith.....

5. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +349 / 7 / -4

Is it possible to truly believe in a religion without faith?

6. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

An old faith used to believe that Zeus threw thunderbolts from the top of Mt Olympus, we now call that MYTHology...

soon all faiths will go the way of the myth....its the circle of life.

If there is a God, he/she/it is totally trying to confuse everyone.

7. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +359 / 9 / -13

It depends on how one views faith. People who believe in many religions want God or the Creator to fit in a box to be a projection and so on. Faith IMO involves not having to be given definite answers on how the universe originated and what our role is. But to learn and inquire and hove fun learning about all this...accepting what is and accepting what we are unable to understand without having to have it defined is an act of Faith IMO.

Some physicist take this approach as people like Alan Watts did. We have al sorts of knowledge just in science we have Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Geology the reality is that the universe is a coherent single process. We have to subdivide it because of our limitations of out intellect.

Perhaps this derives from the limited bandwidth we can observe with our senses. If you think of the electromagnetic spectrum our senses can perceive only a small fraction of it, in terms of processing chemical signals we are very poor compared to other mammals like dogs, Cetaceans can 'see' using sonar to maneuver and find objects something we are totally blind to. The list goes on.

So with the limits of our senses and inability to experience only a filtered version of reality we create religions to provide a model and explanation for that we can't understand.

8. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +968 / 2 / -9

God created God.............:singing:

9. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,768 / 35 / -29

#87 Jersey

But God is God ... God is not God Jr.

10. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +477 / 18 / -17

I basically agree with Dawkins. Atheism is not a religion. We cannot be sure that God, Santa, or the Easter Bunny are fiction, but the odds are quite high that they are. That said, in favor of God is the fact that many of the most brilliant people in history believe that God existed. But, the question I have is, How will we know God? What if we do not share His views? How will we know we're not talking to the devil? What if God is Allah? Will he still be God in your eyes? What if God is Gaia. Will she still be God in your eyes? Frankly, I think the only God I can believe in is one that shares my core beliefs. Otherwise, how will I distinguish between God and the devil?

11. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +359 / 9 / -13

Why project earth-centric human concepts on the universe...the atheist pit their beliefs against the believers but they are playing the same game.

12. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +477 / 18 / -17

I agree with you. Obviously, our consciousness has evolved and will continue to evolve, but all we have right now is to use the limits of our experience and reason. We can answer any question at all by saying, "The Lord acts in mysterious ways," but I'm not really sure where that gets us.

13. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +703 / 20 / -30

My problem with religion is the structures that they have enveloped themselves.. the religion of our founding fathers, Deism, made a lot of sense as in nature you can see the handiwork of someone greater than mortals.

Everytime I see a religious convocation or even the hearings on Birth Control, there is a group of older white haired men who are making the decisions for many and claim to know what is best for all ... that pretty much replicates the clusterfock that we see every day inside of the beltway.

14. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +968 / 2 / -9

Verily I Say Unto Thee
    "Enter not the house called God's (church) for there sitting beside thee are f-cking hypocrits, they pray, they raise their dirty hands to the heavens and praise their Jesus, they sing of their phony bullsh!t love of the Holy God Almighty. they bow their heads in reverence to The Lord Savior, they then leave this Holy Place, this House Of Worship and Imediately they begin to violate every son of a b!tching commandment that God wrote on Moses Rock, I wonder, what does God Almighty think of this, I wonder what does the one true god think about the Killings that go on today in Afghanistan all over a f-cking Book"

There are many who are "True" they shall Dwell In The House Of The Lord Forever And Ever.

When the Robin returns this spring watch him "catch his worm" God did that.

Thous Shalt Not

15. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +359 / 9 / -13

Depends on what we do with it, it can open our mind to new insights or we can just settle into a different pattern. Of course our current path substituting government and the elites for the church and nobles of the middle ages is a losing game.

16. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +349 / 7 / -4

who's doing that?

(and "the elites"? really?)

17. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +359 / 9 / -13

People running the political parties, note the outrage when people who didn't go to Ivy league schools run for President or VP.

Note the Bush family, the Clinton's the sons and daughters of the congressional leaders........

Of course central planning and the presumption that the people who run the system can make the best decisions for the unwashed masses goes back to the serfdom of the middle ages and beyond.

18. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +674 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

But don't the "unwashed masses" elect the people who run the system - unlike the serfs who had absolutely no say in anything?

19. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +359 / 9 / -13

Many vote out of fear for the Lords who promise to take care of them and protect them. The more things change.

20. Ilikehappyppl

Ilikehappyppl 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Chicken or the egg....

I believe there is a god, because I believe we as humans can only grasp what we are taught and even that's hard sometimes. Our brains can't even grasp what infinity is......

We are all taught there is a beginning and an end, that whatever lives must die and whatever goes up must come down.....Who is to say these rules apply to everything? or to the whole universe or outside of the universe.

As humans we think we are pretty smart but in reality we have barely scratched the surface, we know nothing outside of our earth and I think believing in god takes a lot of humility and understanding that we don't have all the answers or that we might not have the tools or makeup to understand.

Do I believe in the fire and brimstone god? The god that is in some of these bibles? No way! My god is a just loving god, that accepts you for you and loves you for you! The god I believe in is not about judgment or jumping through hoops to get his love but a god that shows compassion and understanding. Lots of people have a bad view of god because of religions and the people that are in them, don't ever let them stand between you and god, they don't know who god really is!

I don't go to church either, because I feel most if not all churches are false in there teachings, that they care more about how many members they have and how nice of a church they can build instead of being what God is really about, charity and love and understanding.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012