PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Family pet attacks Steelers star Harrison's son

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly.

We have 2 dogs (a tiny Jack Russell and a huge Husky/Retriever mix) and you could pull food from their mouths and they wouldn't be aggressive. It's just not in them.

Any other kind of dog need not be shot, but it should not live in a home with small children

It all comes down to a choice. If there is any chance of the dog biting a child, what would you prefer, the dog or the child?

So when my 5 year old nephew cornered my dog, who has never so much as barked at anyone, and tried to take her bone away from her after several reminders from me to stay away from her, and she went after him, I should put HER down because the kid didn't listen? Makes perfect sense.
The KID?!? Since when do KIDS listen to anybody?!? :) The child was visiting, so if there's any doubt, keep the dog isolated, for Pete's sake.

2. He has been around dogs most of his life (including this one) and learned very early on when to leave dogs alone when he tried to pet his own dog while he was eating. Nothing horrible happened, just a loud bark and him ending up on his behind. It was enough, though, for him to recognize that it was a bad idea to go near a dog who has food. In the dozens of other times he was around our dogs during feeding time he never went near them, nor when they had a treat or bone. This was an isolated incident.

3. Kids DO listen. I work with kids every day, some younger than this one, and 99% of the time, they will listen if you ask them to not do something. Is there curiosity? Sure. This child and dog have known each other the child's whole life. It isn't like he was around her for the first time.

#2: Someone did a piss-poor job of training their dog. The first thing we did once my son started walking was supervise him putting his hands in the dog dish while they were eating, and the dogs learned that he wasn't a threat. They've never so much as growled at him. Then we taught my son that he shouldn't ever do that, anyway.

#3: This is funny. Dogs around kids need CONSTANT supervision and retraining. Anyone who trusts a 5-year-old kid or an animal to do the right thing because they've done it in the past should only have one or the other.

There IS some genetic predictability regarding violence and dogs, but it isn't due to the breed, it's due to the parents and grandparents.

In the cities and counties that have enacted pit breed bans, the dog fighters quickly switch to another breed, and nothing really changes except a lot of innocent dogs are killed due to their heritage, and other breeds get the bad rap. The thoughtful, experienced localities are instead passing dangerous dog legislation, empowering the animal cops to evaluate and seize dogs based on behavior rather than what they look like.

Pit bull attacks and bites are reported in the press at a rate nearly 50 times that of other breeds, and it isn't due to the difference between bite and maul. It is because no one reports the neighborhood dog that looks like a dog everyone should like.

Did you know that President Bush's dog bit two children at its birthday party this year? Think that got reported?

omg racism!

When I was 4 or 5 I was almost killed by a German Sheperd, so I get the downside to having the more 'aggressive' types of dogs. That said, I firmly believe that the high rate of incidents with a select few breeds has more to do with the people that tend to buy them than the dogs themselves. As a kid, I also remember one of my best friend's family owning a rottweiler that was one of the nicest dogs I've ever been around.

That said, owning ANY dog requires you to be responsible and have some common sense, and that goes doubly so when there's a kid in the household. Looks like this was just a total failure all around on Harrison's part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back