PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Fair Weather Fans are Good

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatriotsReign

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I know I've read many posts on this board regarding "Fair Weather Fans". Most of these posts put FWF's in a negative light and I'm here to say they are good for sports.

Recently, Atlanta Hawks player Mike Bibby called Celtics followers, Fair Weather Fans. Well guess what? Fans should stop supporting their team when they suck...or at least when they suck for a long time and the owners do nothing about it.

When the razor guy owned the Patriots, we sucked and I stopped supporting them enthusiatically and rarely watched them. I can honestly say because I and other did that, we are the team we are today. If the Pats stop winning and have several consecutive sub-500 seasons, my support will wane until it turns around. A lot of empty seats is a great way to tell owners, "Do something!"

Many Bruins fans supported them too long, so management did nothing. Hey, they were still making money.

The net/net is, fair weather fans are good for sports. So the next time you want to call someone a fair weather fan, just realize they're just taking one for the team.

I agree about forcing the owners to improve if they want their team to be economically viable, but supporting a team when they suck makes it that much sweeter when they don't.

I'd say a diehard but even during the Pete Carrol era I lost interest. Does that make me a bad fan? I'd say no. I'd say it makes me a smart fan. Why waste those hours?

I hope my apathy over the Knicks gets James Dolan to sell the team.

As long as a team is obviously trying (successfully or not) I will support them. If I feel they are taking advantage of their fans or not trying to be competitive, then **** them.

I'd say a diehard but even during the Pete Carrol era I lost interest. Does that make me a bad fan? I'd say no. I'd say it makes me a smart fan. Why waste those hours?

I'm with you biggles! Even when we stop watching & going to games, we're still just as avid fans just waiting for things to turn around. I remember often watching the late news or espn just to see if the Pats won...I rarely bought the paper on Mondays back then.:( Now I buy both the Globe & the Heral....well, I bought both up until the Tomasse story anyway. Next year, I'll just buy 2 copies of the Globe!

I know I've read many posts on this board regarding "Fair Weather Fans". Most of these posts put FWF's in a negative light and I'm here to say they are good for sports.

Recently, Atlanta Hawks player Mike Bibby called Celtics followers, Fair Weather Fans. Well guess what? Fans should stop supporting their team when they suck...or at least when they suck for a long time and the owners do nothing about it.

When the razor guy owned the Patriots, we sucked and I stopped supporting them enthusiatically and rarely watched them. I can honestly say because I and other did that, we are the team we are today. If the Pats stop winning and have several consecutive sub-500 seasons, my support will wane until it turns around. A lot of empty seats is a great way to tell owners, "Do something!"

Many Bruins fans supported them too long, so management did nothing. Hey, they were still making money.

The net/net is, fair weather fans are good for sports. So the next time you want to call someone a fair weather fan, just realize they're just taking one for the team.

Hi Mr. Simmons, when is your next column coming out?

I have never, ever stopped being a Pat's fanatic. I eat breathe and dream Pats football, despite what people think.

Right now my beloved Liverpool is going through somewhat of an embarrasing crisis off the field. It's triggered some serious anger thats taken most Liverpool fans energy so I aint posted much. Still lurking and reading though..

Hi Mr. Simmons, when is your next column coming out?

I have never, ever read an article by anyone named simmons. My post is 100% original regardless of some obscure article written somewhere in the U.S.

Have some courage richpats...for once! come right out & say what's on your mind. Otherwise go bury your head somewhere & cower like you typically do.

I have never, ever stopped being a Pat's fanatic. I eat breathe and dream Pats football, despite what people think.

I even poop Pats footballs!

I don't care what people think either. That's why I have the courage to write the truth...Fair Weather Fans are Good!;)

Have some courage richpats...for once! come right out & say what's on your mind. Otherwise go bury your head somewhere & cower like you typically do.

Since you asked...

....only a misguided nitwit would come to a forum filled with REAL Patriot fans (such as myself) and boast about how great fairweather fans are and how proud you are to be one. Reality check - if it weren't for the support of REAL Patriot fans, they wouldn't have such a nice stadium to play in and they may not be playing in New England altogether. Remember how the Pats were almost moved to St. Louis? Well, you wouldn't because the Pats weren't doing well at the time and you are a proclaimed "fairweather fan" and could care less.

Fairweather fans are the most spineless individuals known to man, and from my impression of you, it all makes sense. So you only watch when they are good and choose to not watch when they are bad in order to make them good again? Well I guess my whole "showup every Sunday" attitude is just silly old-fashioned nonsense. Do the REAL Patriot fans a favor and stop littering the board with your crap and go get your head checked out.

Courageous enough for you?

Well, I'd probably phrase it as "SOME fairweather fans are good." You need the different types of fans (fairweather, staunch, complete homers) to all flesh out a fan base. A team that's got a full fan base of homers, but is without fair weather and 'staunch' fans, has no pressure to put a better product on the field and becomes the Chicago Cubs or Boston Bruins.

But I agree with your general thrust. Fair weather is good. Chicken Little, though, is always bad.

Last edited:
Since you asked...

....only a misguided nitwit would come to a forum filled with REAL Patriot fans (such as myself) and boast about how great fairweather fans are and how proud you are to be one. Reality check - if it weren't for the support of REAL Patriot fans, they wouldn't have such a nice stadium to play in and they may not be playing in New England altogether. Remember how the Pats were almost moved to St. Louis? Well, you wouldn't because the Pats weren't doing well at the time and you are a proclaimed "fairweather fan" and could care less.

Fairweather fans are the most spineless individuals known to man, and from my impression of you, it all makes sense. So you only watch when they are good and choose to not watch when they are bad in order to make them good again? Well I guess my whole "showup every Sunday" attitude is just silly old-fashioned nonsense. Do the REAL Patriot fans a favor and stop littering the board with your crap and go get your head checked out.

Great misreading of a post!

I don't see how it's productive to make these sort of value judgment comparisons. Some people are hyper-committed, which is cool, and other are less so, which is also cool. It's a personal choice and there's nothing wrong with that. It's a pastime for crying out loud.

Since you asked...

Whenever some idiot calls someone a fairweather fan I just remember the loyalty of Bruins fans. Yes, the said, "You are not an idiot," like it was an insult.

and, richpats, I have been since Grogan. I can tell you that Grogan was booed for Tom Owen and Matt Cavanaugh. I saw how Bruins fans got raped by an ownership that did not care. When the team was on its ay to St. Louis only an idiotic "true" fan would support them. Some would forget that true fans, like you insist you are, continued to support this team as they packed for St. Louis. One could agrue that "fair weather" fans allowed the franchise value to slip enough for Kraft to come out of the stadium and buy the team.

Yes, your hypothetical true fans should thank those fairweather fans for Bob Kraft. A "true" fan that does not raise his glass and toast "fairweather" fans should be shot before they can breed.

Last edited:
You forgot to add..."only when they are doing well"

Why would an intelligent person poop footballs with 1-15 printed on them.

So true fan, would you follow the St. Louis Patriots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes