PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Facts on the Practice Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATSNUTme

Paranoid Homer ex-moderator
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I have seen many post saying we will put this guy or that guy on the Practice Squad.

In order to put a player on the Practice Squad he has to be cut. Then every other team has a chance to sign the player to their the active roster. Only if the player clears waivers do we have a chance to sign him to the PS.

So, there are no automatic assignments to the PS.

Last edited:
PATSNUTme said:
I have seen many post saying we will put this guy or that guy on the Practice Squad.

In order to put a player on the Practice Squad he has to be cut. Then every other team has a chance to sign the player to their the active roster. Only if the player clears waivers do we have a chance to sign him to the PS.

So Brady probably wouldn't be eligable right?::)

PATSNUTme said:

In fact I'm expecting we're going to be among one of the more active teams bringing in team cuts for looksees and even signings to the squad or practice squad

So I'm not getting too attached to anyone thinking they are headed to our practice squad - its just as likely they could land elsewhere

HAMMERMILL said:
So Brady probably wouldn't be eligable right?::)

He would have to clear waivers. We may get a second bite of the apple.

Even if a player is on our Practrice Squad, any other team can sign him if they are willing to activate him and pay him for at least four weeks.

There's also limits on how many games a guy has been on a 53 man roster.
In some other years it's always been a situation where it was felt guys the Patriots cut when they got down to the 53 man roster would be quickly snatched up by other teams. Some were, most weren't. This year, I don't think that'll be true. Ther emay even be guys on the 53 that other teams would pass on. IMO, this year's 53 man roster, top to bottom, won't compare well with the 2003 or 2004 roster.

PATSNUTme said:

In order to put a player on the Practice Squad he has to be cut. Then every other team has a chance to sign the player to their the active roster.
Yeah, like that rat Saban did last year when he claimed Kyle Eckel on waivers. Now the Fins own Eckel's rights when he gets out of the navy.

mgteich said:
Even if a player is on our Practrice Squad, any other team can sign him if they are willing to activate him and pay him for at least four weeks.
Yeah, like that rat Dungy did last year when he signed Kory Chapman off our practice squad the week before Pass and Faulk got hurt. We could have used Chapman down the stretch.

I think it is 9 games on the 53...I know Miguel has the rules somewhere...and you can only be on the PSqd in 2 years...so that is why Alexander is no longer eligible...
OK..I found it...so here's the deal on it all....

Practice Squad Eligibility
A team may establish a practice squad of no more than eight* players who do not have an accrued season of free agency credit or who were on the 45-player active list for less than nine regular season games during their only accrued season. A player cannot participate on the practice squad for more than two seasons.

* Expanded from five at the 2004 league meeting

Last edited:
PatsSteve1 said:
There's also limits on how many games a guy has been on a 53 man roster.
In some other years it's always been a situation where it was felt guys the Patriots cut when they got down to the 53 man roster would be quickly snatched up by other teams. Some were, most weren't. This year, I don't think that'll be true. Ther emay even be guys on the 53 that other teams would pass on. IMO, this year's 53 man roster, top to bottom, won't compare well with the 2003 or 2004 roster.

Another factor is that the 2006 Pats are not defending SB Champions but just another one of 15 teams that wasn't good enough and lost in the playoffs. No more cache or mystique in Pats rejects.

This is what I have on the practice squad.

After noon EST on September 3rd, each club may establish a Practice Squad of no more than eight (8) players who are free agents and who did not dress for more than eight (8) regular season games during their only accrued (i.e., on the 53 man roster for at least 6 games) season. The minimum salary for a Practice Squad player is $4,350 per week (a higher salary can be negotiated), including playoff weeks. In addition, a player under contract to a club as a Practice Squad player is completely free to sign a contract with another NFL club during the season in order to be on the second club's Active/Inactive (i.e., 53 man) list. If another club signs a Practice Squad player to its 53 man roster it does not have to provide any sort of compensation to the player's former club but it generally must keep the player on the 53 man roster for at least 3 weeks, thereby mandating that he earns in 2006 the minimum first year salary for said 3 week period ($275,000 prorated weekly). Also note that a team can add and release players from the practice squad as often as it desires and the eight (8) man limit does not have to be maintained. A player may be on the practice squad for two seasons; three weeks on the practice squad count as a season

Miguel...thanks for those additions...always helpful!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots