PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Fact that surprised me

Status
Not open for further replies.
The first Pats game I watched was that horrific Super Bowl. We never got too many Pats games in Virginia until the Bledsoe era, so while I tried to follow the Grogan team, and painfully endured the Millen/Eason era, I didn't get to really see them.

My fondest memory actually has to do with Madden 93. In that game, every time Millen took even a moderate hit, the ambulance would come out onto the field to cart him away.

Last edited:
Parilli was 47-34.:D

Not that I was a big Pete Carroll fan , but it wasn't him doing the drafting . It was Bobby Grier.

Parilli was 47-34.:D
More Parilli trivia: he replaced Bart Starr as QB for the Packers one season; Starr regained the starting job the following year and the rest is history. Parilli was coached by arguably the two greatest coaching legends in football history: Vince Lombardi in Green Bay, and Bear Bryant in college. His numbers at quarterback for passing yards and touchdowns with the Pats in a single season were never topped by Plunkett, Grogan, or Eason. The passing yardage franchise record was not surpassed for 31 years until Bledsoe broke it in '95; the team touchdown record stood for 43 years and was not broken until Brady's record '07 season. To put that in perspective, that's longer than the length of time Babe Ruth's record of 60 home runs lasted (34 years), or how long Roger Maris' record of 61 home runs stood (37 years.) In addition Parilli is one of only twenty players to have played in all ten AFL seasons. And of course he was also part of the first AFL team to win a Super Bowl, as Joe Namath's backup with the Jets.

I agree. Tom Brady Owns You (you = any other quarterback ever...)

Grogan was great, but seem to recall he had problems finishing and with int's... Stanley Morgan was the man.

I'll always credit Bledsoe, Coates, Jefferson, and the like for being the reasons why I root for the Pats. They might not have been the best team, but I'll always look back on them with a certain fondness.

Ditto. They may not have been champions. But the Bledsoe era marked the first period of time in a long time when the Patriots were actually winners and contenders. A far cry from the dark age of zeke mowatt and Lisa Olsen. The Pats became a respectable team who were in the playoffs on a regular basis and even made it to the Superbowl, only to lose to Favre but that was partly Tuna's fault!

The BB/Brady era just took it to the next level, not just being playoff contenders but champions and an elite team in the NFl year after year. Even though the Patriots have not won the Superbowl in 6 years, they made it to the AFC finals several times, had a perfect 16-0 regular season, and made it to the Superbowl, although losing to the giants thanks in part to Tyree's miracle catch stuck in his helmet.

This team still has the core to become the top again considering a healthy Brady, a healthy Moss, and a defense that has been reloaded with mean, new linebackers and a premier corner prospect.

Tom Brady is this team's greatest weapon and he has won with lesser receivers than Peyton Manning ever had to work with, and in doing so he garnered 3 rings. Tom Brady not only can make MORE out of LESS but he can do MORE with MORE, like the year he threw for a record breaking 50 TDs in 2007 in his first year with Moss/Welker combo. As long as the OL can do their job, I think the Pats always have a chance to win with Brady in the game.

Last edited:
More Parilli trivia: he replaced Bart Starr as QB for the Packers one season; Starr regained the starting job the following year and the rest is history. Parilli was coached by arguably the two greatest coaching legends in football history: Vince Lombardi in Green Bay, and Bear Bryant in college. His numbers at quarterback for passing yards and touchdowns with the Pats in a single season were never topped by Plunkett, Grogan, or Eason. The passing yardage franchise record was not surpassed for 31 years until Bledsoe broke it in '95; the team touchdown record stood for 43 years and was not broken until Brady's record '07 season. To put that in perspective, that's longer than the length of time Babe Ruth's record of 60 home runs lasted (34 years), or how long Roger Maris' record of 61 home runs stood (37 years.) In addition Parilli is one of only twenty players to have played in all ten AFL seasons. And of course he was also part of the first AFL team to win a Super Bowl, as Joe Namath's backup with the Jets.

Old fogies representin'!

The Pats have had a pretty good history of quarterbacks. Parilli, Grogan, Bledsoe, Brady with certain other guys throughout that have had good years. We've also had a legit franchise QB for 17 straight years. Not many teams can say that.

Hey JMT57, I bet you don't have the original news story of the 5 players involved in the Parilli to Pats trade.

You do now.:D

I love the intraweb...

Rome News-Tribune - Google News Archive Search

Ha ha, thanks; you're right, I wasn't aware of that.

Yeah, I'm an old enough fogie to remeber Parilli, but not quite old enough to remember that trade.

On a side note a friend of mine says he has met and become friends with a guy who was on the original Pats team in 1960. Hope to meet up with him soon so I can relay some stories from his memories of that team.

The Pats have had a pretty good history of quarterbacks. Parilli, Grogan, Bledsoe, Brady with certain other guys throughout that have had good years. We've also had a legit franchise QB for 17 straight years. Not many teams can say that.

Some of the worst to ever suit up too, though. I'll exempt Eason, Millen and Plunkett (Flutie too I guess) and say the rest are some of the worst ever.

Mike Taliaferro started 2-3 years. Why?

Joe Kapp? I thought he was going to have to roll the ball after a while. Worst pass I've ever seen including pee wee league.

Mark Wilson, possibly worse that those two if that's scientifically possible.

Heisman trophy John Huarte. Total bust cost us one of our best receivers, Jimmy Colclough (we traded back for Colclough apparently, those were the weird years).

Last edited:
Ha ha, thanks; you're right, I wasn't aware of that.

Yeah, I'm an old enough fogie to remeber Parilli, but not quite old enough to remember that trade.

On a side note a friend of mine says he has met and become friends with a guy who was on the original Pats team in 1960. Hope to meet up with him soon so I can relay some stories from his memories of that team.

Great, please do. My vague memories go back to reading about the 1961 team. Pretty sure they were never on TV back then. That article was just a surprise in a search.

Some of the worst to ever suit up too, though. I'll exempt Eason, Millen and Plunkett (Flutie too I guess) and say the rest are some of the worst ever.

Mike Taliaferro started 2-3 years. Why?

Joe Kapp? I thought he was going to have to roll the ball after a while. Worst pass I've ever seen including pee wee league.

Mark Wilson, possibly worse that those two if that's scientifically possible.

Heisman trophy John Huarte. Total bust cost us one of our best receivers, Jimmy Colclough (we traded back for Colclough apparently, those were the weird years).

Can't say I've seen any of those guys play, but I have read about them. While they may have been bad, my point was that the Pats have had a better QB history than most teams.

Can't say I've seen any of those guys play, but I have read about them. While they may have been bad, my point was that the Pats have had a better QB history than most teams.

Well, I have. You point is well made, but my point is, the ones that weren't good were some of the most horrible excuses for QB to ever play. I believe there is a thread somewhere.

Actually, minus the period when Sullivan lost it business wise, and the Rod Rust era, the talent level overall was pretty good. Some excellent defenses and good to great offensive linemen, which are the places crappy franchises usually let down.

The first 6-7 years, the talent level was quite high, especially for a franchise with little money. The Parilli and Antwine trades being two outstanding examples.

Those 3 QBs I mentioned have to be among the worst to ever start, though.

I'd bet Grogan was better at stage-diving too

That history would have taken a major nose dive if the Bledsoe era had become the Mirer era which it almost did.

I don't have anything to add, but I just wanted to say that this is a great thread to read, esp. during the quiet time before TC. Keep it up...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back