Status
Not open for further replies.

Ring 6

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Steve Grogan had more wins and a better record as starting QB for the Pats than Drew Bledsoe
Grogan 75-60
Bledsoe 63-60

Also after leaving NE Bledsoe was 35-35 the rest of his career.

Tom Brady is 97-30. 4 more games than Bledsoe and 34 more wins, wow.

Last edited by a moderator:
the injury filled and bad drafting pete carroll, era did not help bledsoe, and brady is just a freak

Last edited:
I'll always credit Bledsoe, Coates, Jefferson, and the like for being the reasons why I root for the Pats. They might not have been the best team, but I'll always look back on them with a certain fondness.

Joe Montana
in SF 100-39. That means if Brady goes 3-9 he matches Montanas SF w/l. Overall he was 117-47

Playoffs
Montana 14-5SF 16-7total
Brady 14-4

This season Brady if he starts 12 games will match Montana's longevity in SF.
Here is the stat difference
Montana 12 more games
382 more attempts
257 more completions (JM 63.7% comp TB 63.3)
4280 more yards
19 more TDs
24 more Ints
63 more ties sacked
QB Rating JM 93.5 TB 93.3

The numbers are eerily similar. The difference is basically that Brady wins more than anyone ever and Montana is a not too distant 2nd, they both are virtually equal in %, yards, rating, and Brady throws more TDs and fewer picks. Of course Montana has one more ring, which Brady needs to match.
Montana missed more time to injuries, so actually the extra 12 games were in 2 more seasons, one of which was SB #4.

IMO, these are the 2 best QBs ever, and since we are down to a handful of games separating them (not counting the 2 KC years for Montana) it seems clear that ring 4 puts Brady AHEAD of Montana, but I don't think he moves ahead without ring #4.
It is also interesting to note that Montana has 3 straight first round losses between SB win #3 and #4.

I'll always credit Bledsoe, Coates, Jefferson, and the like for being the reasons why I root for the Pats. They might not have been the best team, but I'll always look back on them with a certain fondness.

Its weird to say now, but we were so bad for most of the 20 years before Bledsoe (in 25 years before drafting Bledsoe we had 10 winning seasons, 11 doubledigit loss seasons, 3 playoff wins, a combined 57 games under .500) there was no doubt a consolation prize in at least having a QB who could put up some numbers while we sucked, and it made it a fun time to root for the Patriots.

the injury filled and bad drafting pete carroll, era did not help bledsoe, and brady is just a freak
Actually Bledsoe was 26-20 under Carrol and had an overall losing record of 37-40 under Parcells and Belichick. (Plus 12-10 more under the Tuna in Dallas)

Manning is 131-61 and of course 9-9 in the playoffs.
Brady at 97-30 could go 35-30 and still have a better record than Manning, and of course he would have to lose his next 10 playoff games to get to a Peytonesque .500 in the postseason. (Yeah more than Manning has won in his entire career)

Here is another.
Brett Favre has started 158 more regualar season games than Tom Brady (almost 10 full seasons) but has won fewer playoff games. 14 to 13.
Favre has 84 more reg season wins and 74 more losses than TB.

Most common play I remember from back then was "Bledsoe to Coats".

Another fun fact that maybe should be in the Jet suck thread. Joe Namath had a losing record for his career. 60-61-4 for the Jets 62-63-4 overall.
And after SB III played on only one more playoff game, and won none.

Cheers to that. I was 9 when the Pats went to their first SB and absolutely fell in love with that team. I was a huge Curtis Martin fan and was convinced that Bledsoe was infallible. That team got me hooked on football and I haven't looked back.

Cheers to that. I was 9 when the Pats went to their first SB and absolutely fell in love with that team. I was a huge Curtis Martin fan and was convinced that Bledsoe was infallible. That team got me hooked on football and I haven't looked back.

Were you actually unborn when we went to our 1st (1985) and 9 when we went to our 2nd, with Bledsoe at QB?

Its weird to say now, but we were so bad for most of the 20 years before Bledsoe (in 25 years before drafting Bledsoe we had 10 winning seasons, 11 doubledigit loss seasons, 3 playoff wins, a combined 57 games under .500) there was no doubt a consolation prize in at least having a QB who could put up some numbers while we sucked, and it made it a fun time to root for the Patriots.

I wasn't around or watching football in those days. However, the first game I saw was when we were playing the Dolphins (can't remember what year off the top of my head) when Bledsoe was having one of his good games and he and Marino were trading touchdowns. That was the first football game I ever watched, I believe. After that, I was hooked.

I wasn't around or watching football in those days. However, the first game I saw was when we were playing the Dolphins (can't remember what year off the top of my head) when Bledsoe was having one of his good games and he and Marino were trading touchdowns. That was the first football game I ever watched, I believe. After that, I was hooked.

I can remember 'rooting' for good stats for Bledsoe so that he would be highly regarded and the Pats could get some national respect.
I remember the game you are talking about.
My getting hooked was almost a generation earlier when Jim Plunkett, Mack Herron and Sam the Bam got off to a 5-0 start in 1974 after a 3-11 season, only to end up 7-7. (But the same group had the great 1076 season) My brother used to say, I became a Pats fan because they were 7-0 and as soon as I did they went 0-7. (Not too far from true, it was actually 3-0 then 4-7)

Were you actually unborn when we went to our 1st (1985) and 9 when we went to our 2nd, with Bledsoe at QB?

I was born in 1987, so I didn't see the first SB. I was in 4th grade when they played the Packers in SB XXXI.

Edit: I'm dumb. I knew the Pats went to the SB in 86 and got destroyed by the Bears. I just phrased that poorly.

Last edited:
I was born in 1987, so I didn't see the first SB. I was in 4th grade when they played the Packers in SB XXXI.

Edit: I'm dumb. I knew the Pats went to the SB in 86 and got destroyed by the Bears. I just phrased that poorly.

I thought so and found it funny, but also scary that I remember if as FINALLY getting to the SB, and you were not yet even born. Sucks to get old.

I was a huge Grogan fan ... he got so much better after getting the snot knocked out of him.

I was a huge Grogan fan ... he got so much better after getting the snot knocked out of him.

First 2 memories that come to mind on Grogan are the 56-3 whooping of the Jets and the game vs Houston when the Pats were driving for the win, and Grogan scrambled, got hit in the head, knocked almost unconscious and was so out of it he couldn't get his hands to form a time out sign and time expired. He was literally waving his hands trying to get them to touch and the clock ran out. I think that play led to changing the rule that only the captain could call timeout.

First 2 memories that come to mind on Grogan are the 56-3 whooping of the Jets and the game vs Houston when the Pats were driving for the win, and Grogan scrambled, got hit in the head, knocked almost unconscious and was so out of it he couldn't get his hands to form a time out sign and time expired. He was literally waving his hands trying to get them to touch and the clock ran out. I think that play led to changing the rule that only the captain could call timeout.

Oh and that was a Monday night game, just like the next one that comes to mind, in 1976 (week 2 or 3?) when Grogan went 40-some yards for a TD on a QB draw and the Pats beat the Jets 41-3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes