PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

F the media.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGodInAGreyHoodie

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Just listened to Matty's presser.

He starts off by staying that he doesn't want to discuss his personal life and to keep the questions to football.

First two questions are borderline football borderline personal and the reporters even acknowledge that. He answers them.

Then the press conf moves to what I would call pure football questions (arz defense, etec)

Then in creeps back to personal and without specifically being blatant about invading that space, they are clearly trolling into areas and questions that they would not be asking him if it wasn't for the loss of his father.

If any of you media folks are reading, he couldn't say it so I will....GFY!

He starts off by staying that he doesn't want to discuss his personal life and to keep the questions to football.

First two questions are borderline football borderline personal and the reporters even acknowledge that. He answers them.

Then the press conf moves to what I would call pure football questions (arz defense, etec)

Then in creeps back to personal and without specifically being blatant about invading that space, they are clearly trolling into areas and questions that they would not be asking him if it wasn't for the loss of his father.

Oh, I thought you were grading the media....

I noticed that too. Good job to Matt for answering and letting them in a little. It was pretty clear he was going to walk away when the questions strayed and then they straightened back out.

I thought it was a good presser and it was nice to hear him talk about his dad a little. I think he just didn't want questions like "what was your relationship with your dad like" and such.

Still, leave it to the media bring the smell of day-old sushi everywhere they go.

Last edited:
Any idea who were those that asked?? I know Reiss would not..only touch...Tomase?? sometimes u can recognize that...I will have to listen...

There was this great question to Brady at the CHARITY even he was at a few days ago :

"So you missed the attention, you wanted to come out and visit with everyone?"

I didn't think the media was AS BAD as an F....I was expecting a lot worse...and really I kept waiting for something bad...and...
Reiss asked the first question...which was borderline and that was even said so by him..but I think it was legitimate..about playing or not...and that wasn't bad. It was Guregian or Young who asked the next..not sure because I don't know their voices...probably Karen...About being around temmates...less football more human and I felt that was not that bad....
Then toward the end..two questions from ????? but one on the left and the other on the right (physically in teh room...)...about what he would do with the football..Not really good...or deep...and the other about what the game meant wishing to lurk deeper...those made me a BIT uncomfortable...but I expected worse..so I am not sure what the F media is all about. The last two were not great...but...much milder than I would expect from a reaction like that. I would say watch it BEFORE you condemn the media...

Last edited:
Yeah, I didn't think these were so bad.

The questioners were trying to be respectful, but they have a job to do. The whole thing about Matt's father dying and his son succeeding in the game is a major story, and they're trying to get the son's reaction. And I think we've all seen reporters who asked questions waaaay worse than these.

He's got a right to ask them not to ask about it, but they still have a right to ask. Of course, if Matt doesn't like it, he could and should tell any reporters who are disrespectful where they can go shove it.

Didn't think it was so bad. Reiss and the woman who followed (Karen?) were perfectly fine.

The questioners were trying to be respectful, but they have a job to do. The whole thing about Matt's father dying and his son succeeding in the game is a major story, and they're trying to get the son's reaction. And I think we've all seen reporters who asked questions waaaay worse than these.

He's got a right to ask them not to ask about it, but they still have a right to ask. Of course, if Matt doesn't like it, he could and should tell any reporters who are disrespectful where they can go shove it.
I agree...and the last two were more borderline than the first two...but reallu not what I expected from a "F the Media" reaction...

I agree...and the last two were more borderline than the first two...but reallu not what I expected from a "F the Media" reaction...

I don't really like the media much to begin with.

The media are a bunch of tactless trolls anyway.

HTML:
Still, leave it to the media bring the smell of day-old sushi everywhere they go.[/QUOTE]

I took my 11 yr old God Daughter to training camp this summer, and she would get right up to the ropes toward the end, with all the kids. She yells up to me this guy's aftershave is making it hard to breath.
It was Felger, doing a preamble to his report on the inside of the ropes, on camera! everyone in area that know about how Felgi is, just HOWLED with glee!!!
It is these little victorys that I cherish when I see the press hound our players and coach

Making broad generalizations about "the media" like that is pretty much nonsensical. The media comprise every single business in the world whose product involves the transmission of information or ideas to the public. You might as well say "I don't really like agriculture" or "I don't like manufacturing."

Good points.

I'd like to also point out that the reporters in question aren't asking about Matt's personal life because they care about it, but rather because their audience does. If fans like us weren't reading/clicking on stories about players' personal lives 10x more often than on stories about x's and o's, the papers wouldn't be so keen on getting them.

I am not a large fan of the media in general...I didn't think the first two Qs were bad..the last two were a bit worse...but I have heard worse Qs from the media in BBs conferences...I have heard dumber Questions...

I am not a large fan of the media in general...I didn't think the first two Qs were bad..the last two were a bit worse...but I have heard worse Qs from the media in BBs conferences...I have heard dumber Questions...

I have heard worse directed at BB.

But this wasn't BB saying I am not talking about spygate. Or a dumb question about if BB was going to shake the rats hand.

And to lamafist, I don't like the Boston Sports media. That narrow enough for ya? And some of that not liking the BSm is cause I have heard worse.

The problem with saying you hate the media is you end up lumping guys like Reiss with guys like Tomase. It's like saying I hate athletes, when there's a clear difference between guys like Matt Cassel and guys like Terrel Owens.

Making broad generalizations about "the media" like that is pretty much nonsensical. The media comprise every single business in the world whose product involves the transmission of information or ideas to the public. You might as well say "I don't really like agriculture" or "I don't like manufacturing."

You could use context and than maybe it wouldn't seem so generalized. You know he is in a football message board in a thread titled F the media and the OP states he is refering to the Matt Cassel press conference. One could reasonable assume he is refering to Sports media, and one could reasonable assume he meant football media and even football media in our area. But than hey maybe he did mean all media.

i read the transcript and felt the same thing.freaking borderline questions. If its borderline then dont ask !!!

No sh!t.:)
The reporters have their jobs to do, though.
They are a necessary evil and some are more necessary/evil than others.

Matt showed much grace here.....not as much as Tony Dungy(all heads bow), would have shown, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots