PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

F*** Cold Pizza

Status
Not open for further replies.
pats1 said:
Shmessy, if I slip you a 20, can we move this thread into the back alley known as the interleague forum?

(Not for the original poster's premise, just that there's some fresh Dolphin meat I'd like to roast up.)

:D

Sorry, P1. The thread is kosher.....only the trolls are swine.

14thDragon said:
When Bill or Tom decide to hang it up, then we can talk about the run coming to an end. Until then, you are still playing nothing but catch-up.

Right on. He seems to forget the tale of Sisyphus.

BLITZKRIEG said:
I don't expect the Pats to bow down at all, but you can't expect Miami to stay behind the Pats forever. Eventually, all good things come to an end, and New England has had one of the most incredible runs in recent NFL history. Sooner or later, the roster / coaching departures are going to come into play. I see more of that happening this year, than any other previous seasons....

The point you made about the Patriots superiority is well taken, but with the direction Miami is heading these days, the Pats time on top is running thin in my opinion. But don't take my word for it, many experts around the NFL circles are saying it too. The Pats run is coming to an end....

Appreciate your input, but the "many experts around the NFL circles are syaing it too" point, is one I think is in the Patriots favor. I call it the AIF or Average Idiot Factor. These clowns are usually wrong. But, I digress.

Let me throw a Patriots spin on this offseason, and your premise that the rosters of teams over time deplete. Not necessarily. Yeah, Willie, Adam, and Givens are gone, but..................

Here's my spin, but I think it has merit:

The Pats have added arguably the #1 rated RB in the draft, this side of Reggie Bush to their team in Maroney. Dillon had a tremenous offseason, and is back in shape.

They played much of the year without LT Matt Light. He is back.
They played much of the year without SS Rodney Harrison. He is back.
They played some of the year without C Dan Koppens. He is back.

The team lost Givens, but added arguably the #1 rated WR in the draft in Chad Jackson (if his hammy ever heals). They also added Caldwell who is having a very nice camp. Not to worrry, we all know Branch will be back.

They added a TE with tremendous hands, letting Fauria go, and here too (like RB w/ Maroney and WR with Jackson) got younger.

We all love Adam V., but he's no spring chicken, and here again, the Patriots added arguably the #1 rated K in the draft.

More later, as I must go. You see where I'm going with this though.

Bostonian1962 said:
Appreciate your input, but the "many experts around the NFL circles are syaing it too" point, is one I think is in the Patriots favor. I call it the AIF or Average Idiot Factor. These clowns are usually wrong. But, I digress.

Let me throw a Patriots spin on this offseason, and your premise that the rosters of teams over time deplete. Not necessarily. Yeah, Willie, Adam, and Givens are gone, but..................

Here's my spin, but I think it has merit:

The Pats have added arguably the #1 rated RB in the draft, this side of Reggie Bush to their team in Maroney. Dillon had a tremenous offseason, and is back in shape.

They played much of the year without LT Matt Light. He is back.
They played much of the year without SS Rodney Harrison. He is back.
They played some of the year without C Dan Koppens. He is back.

The team lost Givens, but added arguably the #1 rated WR in the draft in Chad Jackson (if his hammy ever heals). They also added Caldwell who is having a very nice camp. Not to worrry, we all know Branch will be back.

They added a TE with tremendous hands, letting Fauria go, and here too (like RB w/ Maroney and WR with Jackson) got younger.

We all love Adam V., but he's no spring chicken, and here again, the Patriots added arguably the #1 rated K in the draft.

More later, as I must go. You see where I'm going with this though.

Yeah the "experts" seem to forget how bad our running game was toward the end of the year with dillon hurt and the oline depleted. I think the oline coming back healthy plus dillon and maroney is going to be a huge improvement from last year

hobbsownscoles said:
Dont forget all the nfl live crew
And Ron Borges and Michael Felger...

...oh and mikey. :D

BLITZKRIEG said:
Miami has always given the Patriots trouble. Even during our worst season in over 30 years {2004 / 4-12}, we beat New England. To top it off, that was probably the best team in Patriots history.

Your right the Phinz are heading in the right direction (thats not saying much after Dave what time is it Wannstedt) But the fact that the Dolphins play the pats tuff has more to do with playing in the same division most division games are tuff, yeah the phinz beat the Pats in 04 by one point and it took Tom Brady's worst play as a pro for that to happen.

I like how miami loses two cornerbacks and their going win the division, and the Pats loose a kicker all be it a great kicker I wish they would have kept but a kicker non the less and they are spent, "whatever".

pats1 said:
Give me 3 examples of how the Patriots "run is coming to an end." Show me how these are different than situations of past years. Show me how their philosophies and the execution of those have changed compared to past years.

Igoring the absurdity of the request, you seem to operate under the impression that the only variable is the Patriots philosophy and execution and that if those remain the same you'll get the same results. The truth of the matter is there is another variable, namely, a change in the dolphins philosophies and execution. I'm not saying the dolphins are better but just arguing it's a shallow argument to say something will happen because that's the way it happened in the past.

Last edited by a moderator:
AV move = shift in balnce of power?
Yo, pass the crack pipe!
As far as Miami moving significantly in ANY direction, let's break with tradition and wait till they actually play some games.
That idea is so typically... "august".

CrazyDave said:
AV move = shift in balnce of power?
Yo, pass the crack pipe!
As far as Miami moving significantly in ANY direction, let's break with tradition and wait till they actually play some games.
That idea is so typically... "august".

So if we are using your theory, let's shut up about Maroney, Caldwell, Thomas and the NEW Dillon. How about we wait until they play a game first? Talk about typical "August," all this love with Caldwell is typical "August." Let's see him beat a solid NFL corner off the line before we put him in the Pro Bowl.

Chevagus said:
The truth of the matter is there is another variable, namely, a change in the dolphins philosophies and execution.

I gotta say this is what worries me as a Patriot fan. We were always ahead of the Wanstedt era Dolphins, especially because of their poor drafting and win at all costs now mentality.

Now, under Saban and Mueller, that has seemed like its changed. They also have Mularkey and Capers on their staff, a move which could pay huge dividends (we all know what veteran coordinators can bring to the table).

Last edited:
I'm Ron Borges? said:
So if we are using your theory, let's shut up about Maroney, Caldwell, Thomas and the NEW Dillon. How about we wait until they play a game first? Talk about typical "August," all this love with Caldwell is typical "August." Let's see him beat a solid NFL corner off the line before we put him in the Pro Bowl.

With all due respect, wtf are you talking about?
AV goin from NE to Indy does not change the balance of power.
I won't even get into Edge.
AV or not, the "balance of power" is still the same.
I did'nt mention Maroney Caldwell, or anyone else.
The truth of the matter is that the idea of AV switching teams changes the "balance of power" to said team is simply ridiculous.
Miami is going to overtake us: same story - different August.
As for the Cold Pizza guys, typical lazy journalism.

Chevagus said:
Igoring the absurdity of the request, you seem to operate under the impression that the only variable is the Patriots philosophy and execution and that if those remain the same you'll get the same results. The truth of the matter is there is another variable, namely, a change in the dolphins philosophies and execution. I'm not saying the dolphins are better but just arguing it's a shallow argument to say something will happen because that's the way it happened in the past.

Yes the phins can change their quality of personel and game planning. However in both categories they are still behind and the Patriots are not exactly standing still or slowing down. They are continually evolving and growing adding new weapons and coming up with new ways to beat the rest of the leauge.

The Phins are in the rebuilding phase, the patriots are in the continous improvement buisness. Until we lose our elite QB or elite HC, we stay ahead.

hobbsownscoles said:
Woody Paige and Skip Bayless don't know Sh*it about football. They just talked crap about how we lost vinieteri and how that changed the balance of power to the colts. Wtf is that about? The Colts in my opinion lost their best player, and marginally upgraded at kicker. They replaced their best player witha 1st round pick who should have went in the mid second round. And then they say we're a wildcard team. Someon please explain to me how the dolphins are somehow a great team now. the only time they beat us was when we didnt care and sent our backup qb to dropkick an extra point. I mean come on. Sorry for my long rant for a first post i just couldnt take this BS any longer without saying something.

This is what you get when you listen to Skip Bayless. Bayless is one of the biggest Pats Haters in the media. He makes Pete Prisco seem scholarly.

Here are some of Bayless' past rants...

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Article.php?Page=178&Category=5

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Article.php?Page=120&Category=5

http://proxy.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=bayless/060104

Last edited:
Brady-To-Branch said:
This is what you get when you listen to Skip Bayless. Bayless is one of the biggest Pats Haters in the media. He makes Pete Prisco seem scholarly.

I kind of skimed them but wow, that first one about manning and culpepper being better really makes me think he is braindead

BLITZKRIEG said:
The point you made about the Patriots superiority is well taken, but with the direction Miami is heading these days, the Pats time on top is running thin in my opinion. But don't take my word for it, many experts around the NFL circles are saying it too. The Pats run is coming to an end....

Until Tom Brady is gone the Dolphins will never have the stranglehold on the AFC East that we've had for the past few years. Sure, they will be more competitive with Saban. But as the saying goes, rumors of our demise are being extremely exaggerated. Unlike previous dynasties the Patriots are not planning on riding the same team into the dirt and then have to rebuild from the bottom up again. Our offense is in the position to be dominant for another 3-4 years. Our line is young, Maroney is in position to take over for Dillon as he slows down, Deion will hopefully get locked up long term and Chad Jackson/Reche Caldwell should blossom along with our collection of sick tight ends. Yes there are questions to address on defense and players who will need to be replaced, but we do have a defensive genius coach, I think he can figure something out. Until Daunte Culpepper proves he can win without Moss the Dolphins are looking at the Wild Card...

Brady-To-Branch said:

LMAO that was just great. Cold Hard Football Facts owned him. USC will crush the in-vincebles. Skippy is an idiot. :D

miDeuce said:
Until Daunte Culpepper proves he can win without Moss the Dolphins are looking at the Wild Card...

I agree Deuce. Culpepper must prove he can win without Moss streching the field. For me it was amazing to watch him play without Moss for a few games last year before he got hurt.
For a veteran qb, it was crazy to see how much he struggled when the "windows" got smaller. Moss, who demands a bracket double team, always allowed the second WR, RB's and TE's so much more room to roam the middle. Without him, Culpepper threw INT's at an amazing rate.
With the Dolphins, he will have a worse OL and about the same weapons to throw to as he had last year.
He will, however, probably have much better coaching.

Last edited:
Ichiro said:
With the Dolphins, he will have a worse OL and about the same weapons to throw to as he had last year.

The OL in Minnesota a year ago, was pretty banged up to start the season. That was just one of the reasons for Culpepper's struggles. Let's not leave out losing Moss / and his OC S. Linehan. Oh, did I forget basically no running game to speak of???...

Culpepper didn't have it quite as easy as some are making it out to be last year. That 2005 team in Minnesota was a shell of it's 2004 team for the most part. I'm not trying to make excuses for Culpepper, he played bad at times no question, but let's not throw him out to the curb either. The guy has tons of skills, and denying that due to one poor season / injury, isn't seeing the entire picture, or what he's capable of under different circumstances now that he's in Miami....

Miami's OL has improved quite a bit since we hired H. Houck, and it should be better than that injury plague one Culpepper was forced to play behind at the start of last season....

As for the skill positions, I'm pretty sure WR C. Chambers will make a nice / very reliable target for Culpepper. There's also M. Booker, who has just started to get comfortable in this system. I think those two WR's will make Culpeppr very happy....

TE R. McMicheal is sure to benefit with a QB like Culpepper as well. That's one thing we've seen Culpepper take advantage of, so you know those two will quickly become a threat in the passing attack....

RB R. Brown is now coming into his own, and having him to rely on is yet another bonus for Culpepper. Who was his RB in Minny last year again?? This may be the first time in his career where he wont have to rely on his arm to score all the points....

I think when you compare the differences at the skill positions{Miami 2006 / Minnesota 2005}, you see that the Phinz have more to offer Culpepper in terms of firepower. On top of that, he's hungry to rebound. You can't really put a price on that kind of determination, or what it can create. If Culpepper can stay healthy, he should have a very productive season / future in Miami...

He will, however, probably have much better coaching.

Gee, that was BIG of you....

Bayless hates anyone that has success in life. He was the same way with Dallas in the 1990s. If the Colts were to win it this year (not gonna happen) he'd begin to hate them too. If someone cured cancer and won a Nobel prize, he'd hate them too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes