PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Eyes on the Prize - what to look for...

Status
Not open for further replies.
one thing I remember from his returning kicks in 06 was that he was electric hate to use a cliche but it really does explain it...the crowd would rise to there feet when he returned a kick.
He was as much a threat as Hobbs was, he was really good. Hopefully we won't shy away from using him as we do have Taylor and Morris at RB also.

Has Wendell reached even 290 lbs yet?

Technique & leverage are good to know & use, but OGs are gonna need some sand in their pants, too. I fear that Wendell & OBurger are a couple (of dozen) scoopfulls light of the required load.
I'm not at the weigh-ins, all I'm doing is observing their play and how Coach Scar and BB are using them. Wendell spent all last year on the Practice Squad, he was there at rookie camp as a Center for Hoyer, and he's been getting the first team reps in Neal's absence...

I was disappointed with Yates last season, he's played better. Hochstein is noticably declining at Guard, though he's still looked solid at Center, and you've got to love him for his whatever the team needs approach. I expected both to face strong camp competition for their jobs and it looks like Wendell is giving them a run for their money. Orhnberger is fresh off PUP and an unknown for now. Bussey is in the trainer's room, though he was getting some good reps before he got dinged. Johnson is gone. I've not read of any of the Tackle candidates (other than Bussey) getting interior reps, so I'll be watching Wendell and the other three vying for the reserve interior OL slots closely.

Scar works them out and BB drafts/signs them Capt., life's a beach.

...(for lack of better word) on DE.
You're driving me crazy! Whenever I read "DE" I'm automatically thinking "Defensive End," then I have to stop and backtrack once it becomes clear you meant "defense." I've seen you abbreviate offense as "O," 'normal' people (yes, I know where you stand there ;) ) will most often use "D" for defense. Just saying...:enranged: quite messing with my mind! :p

As far as kick returns go in tonights game,Expect Slater to be the guy doing the majority of them - Slater is on the outside looking in for the 53 man roster and if he wants a job here he needs at least to come close to 'taking it to the house' during his returns

Slater drops way too much kickoffs/punts for my liking. He's dropped what, two major ones already this pre-season?

Since I'm in the U.K., this is what I'd like YOU to look out for. :)

Who's returning punts? How is Maroney being used?

I feel incredibly optimistic about the roster the Patriots now have so the things I worry about are the pass rush, the pass protection and the return of Mr Brady's mojo -- none of which we're really going to find out much about tonight.

So hoping for a well-executed, simple game and no injuries.

Last edited:
One thing I am definitely looking for, but feel I will be disapointed is a better broadcasting team than Don Criqui and Randy Cross. I think I will be in for a big letdown there.

As far as kick returns go in tonights game,Expect Slater to be the guy doing the majority of them - Slater is on the outside looking in for the 53 man roster and if he wants a job here he needs at least to come close to 'taking it to the house' during his returns

You do realize he was the lead blocker on kick off returns all last year for Hobbs and he contributes on all STs units except field goal/extra points so he can win a STs spot without being the KR.

maverick4 said:
Slater drops way too much kickoffs/punts for my liking. He's dropped what, two major ones already this pre-season?
this Pre-Season???the one that starts tonight?? or did you mean training camp?? I guess we should cut anyone who dropped a kick off or punt in camp right??

I don't why I keep getting into this argument but Slater isn't going to lose his job because of one or two muffs last year and in camp....If he doesn't make it IMO it would be due to someone else with a bigger role on O or D proving to be as good or close enough on STs.

Box_O_Rocks said:
You're driving me crazy! Whenever I read "DE" I'm automatically thinking "Defensive End," then I have to stop and backtrack once it becomes clear you meant "defense." I've seen you abbreviate offense as "O," 'normal' people (yes, I know where you stand there ) will most often use "D" for defense. Just saying... quite messing with my mind!

Mi speling can be very inconsistent and for some reeson when I post on a messagge bored I get sloppier with my grammer, spellin, and prooph reeding.

Aside from what was already mentioned, I'm looking to see who is making plays on ST - which gunner is getting to the returner, who is making life miserable for the opposing gunner - and what the composition of the KO return team looks like absent a wedge and how that might affect the general makeup final roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes