PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Eyes on the prize - the dress rehersal

Status
Not open for further replies.

patfanken

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Well, once again I lost interest by the end of the 3rd quarter. The game is tied, and I guess I'll find out about the results after I finish this.

Things I liked -

I think the most impressive thing that popped out to me was the coverage of the secondary. It certainly wasn't perfect. The Redskins had some guys that are on "scholarship" too. But became clear VERY quickly was the fact that the Pats coverage guys were ALWAYS right on the ball. Much closer than last year. There were a lot of near misses, and plays that required perfect throws to beat the coverage. It was MUCH better than last year, and it bodes well for the regular season.

I liked how the DL played, though I'm not in love with the 4-3. They completely shut down the Skin's very good running attack until well into the 3rd quarter, when the subs started to be inserted, and even THEN it didn't suck

I liked how the OL pass protected. Did anyone hear the $100MM man's name called once. For the most part Brady had time to make a throw, even on his self imposed sack.

I liked the improvement I saw in Brady. (boy that sounds funny even as I type it). He was occasionally a little impatient, like his "sack" where he had more time than he thought, and a couple of other times, but all in all, there were streaks when it was pure 2007 Brady. We just have to see more of them

I liked that the DL got some good pressure on the QB, not great, but AGAIN solid improvement over last year.

I liked the fact that we finally got Moroney involved in the passing game. We should have that swing pass, and option route over the middle any time we want it.

This year I think we will see a much improved defense, front to back.

Here's what I didn't like.

For all the great coverage the DBs did, they still allowed TOOO MUCH yardage after the catch. The tackling is still piss poor. Granted the Cooley 76 yd catch was a case of a broken coverage (and was one of only 2 plays the secondary was clearly beat - the other being a long incompletion that Bodden was beat on), but the fact was that it should have been only half of that yardage if, IIRC, Bodden had made the tackle

I'm getting real sick of watching our DEs simply run themselves out of the play. We'd teach HS kids that once they get beyond the QB's drop, DON'T keep running by him, go to plan B. Try a spin move or do a stop an go, or a reverse swim, AND I'm sure the Pats coaches aren't telling them to run themselves out of the play.

Burgess was a little better tonight, but I think I may want to my 3rd round pick back.

I also want my 3-4 back. At least I knew what was going on in that defense. The 4-3 seems too inconsistent to me, and I worry about a running attack that has planned for it. It also limits some guys. Woods is a 3-4 OLB, not a 4-3 OLB, sure he set the edge well on a number of running plays, but looked lost in coverage. I think Crable would be even more out of place.

Maybe its because I was raised in the 3-4 from HS, when it was called the 52 Okie, and OLBs were DEs, and DE were DTs, and a Noseman, was a noseman. Its a defense I played in college (NT/ILB),. Its the base defense I coached in HS. The only time I didn't play it was after college, and then I was a WSLB or a SS, so I was playing in space, so it mattered less what the front was. I don't know, but this 4-3, if that's going to be our base, will take some getting used to.

I know one thing. Wilfolk must LOVE the change from getting his ass beaten on at NT, from being forced to absorb punishment, to being the giver of it. ;)

I didn't see Brace out there, was he hurt?

The offense missed Welker AND Edelman. Galloway took one for the team, taking his spot, but that, quite frankly, is NOT his skill set. Brady missed his 5-7 yd guy all night. Just a thought, but is Edelman being hidden for the rest of preseason, so they can stash him on the PS and go with 5 WRs

I didn't like the fact that we still can't get the TEs involved in the passing attack. I'm beginning to think that its not all the TEs fault.

I'm not happy with the running attack at all, and ITS NOT the fault of the RBs. Our running plays just take too damned long to develop, and we didn't run a single running play from the shot gun.

Summary:

There were things to hate. Things to worry about (like Brady's arm). And things to like. All in all I think we are on the right track, though no where near a finished product. Make no mistake that this should be a better team than last year's team....but it isn't yet.

Just a thought, but is Edelman being hidden for the rest of preseason, so they can stash him on the PS and go with 5 WRs

The only way they can "stash" Edelman is on IR. If he'd been healthy, he would have probably been running with the 1s.

Good thoughts in general.

Brace was on the inactive list.

The edge rush seemed to be coming a little faster off the snap, but a few times the ROLB (I think) got caught too far up field.

I love seeing corner blitzes. I do not recall seeing too many of those last year.

they better give up on chung returning kicks. other than the last one he returned to get us in field goal range, he was terrible. stick to safety...

Well, once again I lost interest by the end of the 3rd quarter. The game is tied, and I guess I'll find out about the results after I finish this.

Things I liked -

I think the most impressive thing that popped out to me was the coverage of the secondary. It certainly wasn't perfect. The Redskins had some guys that are on "scholarship" too. But became clear VERY quickly was the fact that the Pats coverage guys were ALWAYS right on the ball. Much closer than last year. There were a lot of near misses, and plays that required perfect throws to beat the coverage. It was MUCH better than last year, and it bodes well for the regular season.

I liked how the DL played, though I'm not in love with the 4-3. They completely shut down the Skin's very good running attack until well into the 3rd quarter, when the subs started to be inserted, and even THEN it didn't suck

I liked how the OL pass protected. Did anyone hear the $100MM man's name called once. For the most part Brady had time to make a throw, even on his self imposed sack.

I liked the improvement I saw in Brady. (boy that sounds funny even as I type it). He was occasionally a little impatient, like his "sack" where he had more time than he thought, and a couple of other times, but all in all, there were streaks when it was pure 2007 Brady. We just have to see more of them

I liked that the DL got some good pressure on the QB, not great, but AGAIN solid improvement over last year.

I liked the fact that we finally got Moroney involved in the passing game. We should have that swing pass, and option route over the middle any time we want it.

This year I think we will see a much improved defense, front to back.

Here's what I didn't like.

For all the great coverage the DBs did, they still allowed TOOO MUCH yardage after the catch. The tackling is still piss poor. Granted the Cooley 76 yd catch was a case of a broken coverage (and was one of only 2 plays the secondary was clearly beat - the other being a long incompletion that Bodden was beat on), but the fact was that it should have been only half of that yardage if, IIRC, Bodden had made the tackle

I'm getting real sick of watching our DEs simply run themselves out of the play. We'd teach HS kids that once they get beyond the QB's drop, DON'T keep running by him, go to plan B. Try a spin move or do a stop an go, or a reverse swim, AND I'm sure the Pats coaches aren't telling them to run themselves out of the play.

Burgess was a little better tonight, but I think I may want to my 3rd round pick back.

I also want my 3-4 back. At least I knew what was going on in that defense. The 4-3 seems too inconsistent to me, and I worry about a running attack that has planned for it. It also limits some guys. Woods is a 3-4 OLB, not a 4-3 OLB, sure he set the edge well on a number of running plays, but looked lost in coverage. I think Crable would be even more out of place.

Maybe its because I was raised in the 3-4 from HS, when it was called the 52 Okie, and OLBs were DEs, and DE were DTs, and a Noseman, was a noseman. Its a defense I played in college (NT/ILB),. Its the base defense I coached in HS. The only time I didn't play it was after college, and then I was a WSLB or a SS, so I was playing in space, so it mattered less what the front was. I don't know, but this 4-3, if that's going to be our base, will take some getting used to.

I know one thing. Wilfolk must LOVE the change from getting his ass beaten on at NT, from being forced to absorb punishment, to being the giver of it. ;)

I didn't see Brace out there, was he hurt?

The offense missed Welker AND Edelman. Galloway took one for the team, taking his spot, but that, quite frankly, is NOT his skill set. Brady missed his 5-7 yd guy all night. Just a thought, but is Edelman being hidden for the rest of preseason, so they can stash him on the PS and go with 5 WRs

I didn't like the fact that we still can't get the TEs involved in the passing attack. I'm beginning to think that its not all the TEs fault.

I'm not happy with the running attack at all, and ITS NOT the fault of the RBs. Our running plays just take too damned long to develop, and we didn't run a single running play from the shot gun.

Summary:

There were things to hate. Things to worry about (like Brady's arm). And things to like. All in all I think we are on the right track, though no where near a finished product. Make no mistake that this should be a better team than last year's team....but it isn't yet.

Good stuff man, I like the secondary also, with Springs in the starting lineup and more playing time the group will only get better.

The run D looks stout as ever. Pass rush was consistent, a lot of collapsed pockets.

Brady n Moss look deadly as usual.

Pass protection was very solid against a powerful front 7.

Good stuff man, I like the secondary also, with Springs in the starting lineup and more playing time the group will only get better.

The run D looks stout as ever. Pass rush was consistent, a lot of collapsed pockets.

Brady n Moss look deadly as usual.

Pass protection was very solid against a powerful front 7.

You don't think Whilhite has won the Starting spot with Bodden?

Just a thought, but is Edelman being hidden for the rest of preseason, so they can stash him on the PS and go with 5 WRs.

Well, pat, obviously you're far more positive about tonight that I was, and I suppose I really hope you're right. I know JD will be sending you a Valentine for not being negative like I was. He wuvs the pro stance! ;)

As for this bit, I think there is no way Edelman gets stashed. He's very likely the 4th receiver and the starting punt returner. I believe he'll see a lot of time in the offense.

Good stuff Ken...

I actually was a little encouraged by the run game, funny as it sounds. Wash is pretty beefy up front and I think they are gonna have a beastly run defense, so I was expecting we'd struggle mightly there tonight. We did, for sure, but there were certainly a few times where we had a little room. O-line got manhandled again in the run game (held well in the pass though), but I think our backs did a little better then I expected. That said, any Pat run game not including Faulk is gonna be pedestrian to me.

Galloway is putty in more work with brady, and it's starting to show. Brady to Moss looks okay too :eek: :D

My conclusion mirror yours. A lot to like, a lot to nash teeth over. Pretty much your typical #3 preseason game.

Last edited:
for all this talk about a bad run game......we did average 4.6 a carry if im not mistaken....

and at 4.6, thats most defenitely NOT something to worry about

You don't think Whilhite has won the Starting spot with Bodden?

He'll get it but he'll have to learn to not start celebrating 30 yards away from the end zone.

they better give up on chung returning kicks. other than the last one he returned to get us in field goal range, he was terrible. stick to safety...

He muffed the first catch but was fine the rest of the way.

That last return was a game-changing play. I will take that every time.

My take on the game was early on Meriweather really looks like he's becoming a "gamer"......

I liked the D-line play also.....

Brady looks like, well Brady!

Really looking forward to this season. Looks like a really good draft for us this year.....

My odds and ends from north of KC on bizzness.........

for all this talk about a bad run game......we did average 4.6 a carry if im not mistaken....

and at 4.6, thats most definitely NOT something to worry about

Now that's a surprise. Clearly there was some running done in the 4th quarter.

Again my biggest beef with the running attack is play selection. I'd like to see more hard hitting direct running plays rather than the plays I saw which took several seconds before the RB ever gets to the LOS. Every time they ran the ball you KNEW it was coming. Slow developing plays, with NO deception is a bad combination. It doesn't have anything to do with the OL OR RBs

Again my biggest beef with the running attack is play selection. I'd like to see more hard hitting direct running plays rather than the plays I saw which took several seconds before the RB ever gets to the LOS. Every time they ran the ball you KNEW it was coming. Slow developing plays, with NO deception is a bad combination. It doesn't have anything to do with the OL OR RBs

Yes, the D always seems to know that we are going to run the ball. Is this a scheming mistake or the imagination is not there in the play calling ? :confused:

Last edited:
He'll get it but he'll have to learn to not start celebrating 30 yards away from the end zone.

He might get because Springs won't be ready to start the season. My problem with Wilhite has nothing to do with his coverage, which clearly improved (though it needs to get better), but the fact his tackling still sucks. BB is not going to put a CB out on the field that can't tackle. The puzzling thing is that the kid it willing, there's no Deon Sanders in him, he just sucks at it.

Last edited:
I really hope the pass rush we see is just vanilla pre season stuff and the real thing would be unleashed in regular season.

Yes, the D always seems to know that we are going to run the ball. Is this a scheming mistake or the imagination is not there in the play calling ? :confused:

I'm a lot less worried about the play calling. Its preseason, and plays are called for a lot of reasons, often having little to do with gaining yards. They might want to look at certain players, the timing of the play with the line, etc Often the play you draw up on paper looks a lot different when you see it on the field. My beef is the TYPE of running plays we are running

Sorry, I can't agree with this.. Other than the 1st one, Chung did very well on the punt returns.. But, keep in mind, he is like 3rd or even 4th on the list behind Welker, Edelman and Faulk..

Sorry, I can't agree with this.. Other than the 1st one, Chung did very well on the punt returns.. But, keep in mind, he is like 3rd or even 4th on the list behind Welker, Edelman and Faulk..

Pre-season is for developing young players, geting folks to learn backup roles and evaluate the 53 + PS. Great game experience for Chung.

On ST defense, Slater does make a strong ST contribution. Should he get cut in the numbers game, I hope there are other gunners ready to play in prime tiome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes