PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Eyes on the Prize - 8/4 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

patfanken

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I wasn't sure I was even going to this practice, but the afternoon was so gorgeous, that I couldn't stand to stay in.....and I wasn't disappointed. I actually got there only a half hour late, so I did get to see them stretch....like watching paint dry. :rolleyes: HOWEVER once they got that stuff out of the way, it was the most spirited and aggressive practice that I've seen. If there had been ANY thought that BB might begin to let up a bit, it went right out the window. Making me wonder if Randy Moss was questioning his decision to try 2 practices in one day. ;)

THere were several group drills to watch. The one closest to the stands was RBs vs ILBs. First doing blitz/protection, then later pass coverage There were several nice plays made on both sides. On the offensive side Moroney and Taylor were stand outs. Lawrence didn't miss a block on protection and made me think he'll have more chances to catch the ball than in previous years. He looks so much more comfortable catching the ball this year. As to Taylor he also blocked very well, and when he missed one he was pissed. But what surprised me was his catching the ball. I had been led by Andy Hart to think that he couldn't, and...as usual, Hart is wrong. Taylor caught the ball well and looked comfortable doing it.

On the defensive side Guyton and Alexander and Mayo, all made occassional plays. This is a drill weighted heavily to the offense, I think that Alexander will be used as depth as a pass protecting LB both on the inside and outside. BTW, I should mention that Tank Williams also was with this group and he too made some plays. Later in team play, Tank looked especially good in underneath coverage

On the other fields you could see several other battles taking place. The OL/DL were at it. The TEs and OLBs were at it. Different DB/WR groups were at it. Those were on the other field so I couldn't make out individuals, but you knew there was competition going on.

Then after some special teams work, KO returns and punts, the team spent the rest of the practice doing a lot of situational offense/defense. BTW Box good news for you - Ventrone was with the first punt group in the Izzo Roll.

Catch of the day was once again Greg Lewis going up between two defenders to snatch a ball away from a well defended pass. He doesn't see as many balls as the rest of the regulars, but when he gets his chances be makes the most of it.

OK Binky lovers, today was your day. Julian Edelman spent most of the day working with the 1's because they were doing a lot of 4 wides today, and the 4 wides were Moss, Galloway, Welker and...... Julie. He caught a couple, missed one, and by and large, looked like he belonged.

Brace looked like he started to hit a wall. He wasn't getting nearly as much play as he has had the last several practices. Jarvis was back, but still he was almost exclusively on the outside. The few times I was looking at him, he looked sluggish. I can't understand why, give that it was their 12th practice, and they haven't been there a week. ;)

This might be a good time to discuss the difference between acceleration and speed....and which is more important. IMHO there is no debate, clearly its acceleration, or explosiveness, whatever you want to call it. It is why 4.6 RBs like Sanders and Emmit Smith were so good. Because within that 5 yd square, THEY could go from zero to top speed faster than the next guy. Its what makes Welker so effective. Its why Vince Redd isn't here. He was fast, but not explosive.

To that end, 2 guys that showed some explosiveness today were the old guys, Joey Galloway and Fred Taylor. Taylor and Moroney showed a lot of that zero to top speed today, and Galloway made amove on Lee Boddin and had a 2 yd cushion on him going deep. Unfortunately the ball by Brady was late and Boddin caught up with him in the back of the endzone and batted it away. Good play, but it was great to see that ZOOOM

Slow day for OConnell, with Walter and Hoyer getting most of the non-Brady snaps...with Hoyer getting the most. Again you can see that Walter certainly has an NFL arm. You can also see that he is most Brady like in his speed. He IS NOT like Cassel or OConnell as an athlete. Did I mention he was BIG....;)

BB seemed to take control of the offense today at the end of the practice, and practice lasted about 15 minutes past its usual end. I know in other reports. BB was supposedly pissed, but I didn't see it that way. I think he just had these situations that he wanted to see played out on the field, caught on film, and it just took longer than he thought. Happens all the time.

Just a note on another new kid, #45, the OLB the no name LB they signed to replace Vince Redd. Well he might not end up being that much of a no name. Nick (and that's as far as I can remember of his name), seems to have some pass rush ability both from the 3-4 OLB AND as a 4-3 DE. He is also being worked in on special teams. Check him out, you might be pleasantly surpised.

Finally, IIRC most people thought that if any rookie was going to make an immediate impact, it was going to be Patri...excuse me, Pat Chung. Well so far he hasn't, continually working with the 2's and special teams. Its not that he seems to be doing anything wrong, in fact his underneath coverage on pass defense has been pretty good, IMO, but at this point he's not getting much run with the 1's...but its early.

Last edited:
Finally, IIRC most people thought that if any rookie was going to make an immediate impact, it was going to be Patri...excuse me, Pat Chung. Well so far he hasn't, continually working with the 2's and special teams. Its not that he seems to be doing anything wrong, in fact his underneath coverage on pass defense has been pretty good, IMO, but at this point he's not getting much run with the 1's...but its early.

Sanders is solid and Meriweather is going to break out this year, so Chung will have to be beyond amazing to get on the starting D this early. Even with a super motivated Mayo last year, Mayo was helped by an easier ILB situation in front of him.

On the offensive side Moroney and Taylor were stand outs. Lawrence didn't miss a block on protection and made me think he'll have more chances to catch the ball than in previous years. He looks so much more comfortable catching the ball this year. As to Taylor he also blocked very well, and when he missed one he was pissed. But what surprised me was his catching the ball. I had been led by Andy Hart to think that he couldn't, and...as usual, Hart is wrong. Taylor caught the ball well and looked comfortable doing it.

Good news -- the blocking even more than the catching.

Thanks!

excellent as always patfanken.

i'll have to keep an eye out for #45 in the scores of tc reports we get twice a day

Love it great job. Thank You for the great report patfanken its much appreciated.

the thing that has stood out to me about chung other than his work ethic is that I haven't really seen him get beat or be out of position badly ( I am sure he has had some of each) but I haven't seen him make too many plays.

Where as butler looked a little lost through the first few practices he has made a few nice deflections lately.

Chung has seemed steady while Butlers improvements seem obvious.

I so Chung with the ones most of the day Sat or Sun.....and today I saw him getting some work in the slot. I think he will get some good PT but might not be the starter.

Barry Sanders ran a 4.37.

I believe he was referring to Paul "Shoe-Lace" Sanders of the 1944 Boston Yanks. Great speed. One of the fastest players of his time but, unfortunately, he had a learning disability and never could figure out how to tie his damn shoes. Every time he'd start to run those darn shoe laces would trip him up. I'm not exaggerating either. The guy tripped and lost yardage on every carry he ever had except his very last one. They gave him the ball on 4th and goal from the 9 yard line. He started out left and then as the defense converged to stuff him, he somehow slipped out of their grasp, made a phenominal move and came back around the right (like Marcus Allen in the SB) and had nothing in front of him except the end zone when suddenly his darn shoe lace reached up and tripped him. Just one yard from the game winning TD, he fell violently face first into the ground and never played again. He required all kinds of facial reconstructive surgery. It was a devastating blow. He not only got cut from the team but also lost his shot at landing a movie gig out in Hollywood which was also one of his dreams. Paul "Shoe Lace" Sanders.....You just can't make this sh!t up.

);p

Last edited:
Appreciate the report, patnfanken.

Oh Ken of little faith in Bubba. ;)

Sanders is solid and Meriweather is going to break out this year, so Chung will have to be beyond amazing to get on the starting D this early. Even with a super motivated Mayo last year, Mayo was helped by an easier ILB situation in front of him.

Sanders is a role player and he'll start at first simply because of his vet status, but Chung will eat into James's snaps as each game progresses. Brandon and Patrick will be the starters by week 8.

Moroney and Taylor were stand outs. Lawrence didn't miss a block on protection and made me think he'll have more chances to catch the ball than in previous years. He looks so much more comfortable catching the ball this year. As to Taylor he also blocked very well, and when he missed one he was pissed. But what surprised me was his catching the ball. I had been led by Andy Hart to think that he couldn't, and...as usual, Hart is wrong. Taylor caught the ball well and looked comfortable doing it.

All RBs absolutely must provide adequate pass protection, but the more capable our RBs are of catching passes puts extreme pressure on opposing defenses to cover yet another option. Brady excells at knowing everyone's position on the field and finding the open man.

It's excellent news about Maroney's continued development. I'd read analytical posts here that criticized his pass receiving ability, so it's great to see the issue is being addressed and progress made. He's the kind of guy who can be very dangerous in a big play sense given space.

Great comment about Hart. :)

5 stars

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes