PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Eyes on the Prize.... 8/1 AM

Status
Not open for further replies.

patfanken

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
As camp settles in there a kind of regimented "sameness" that begins to pervade the practices. Its like of like watching someone play poker. In other words its kind of boring. I don't have a lot to report. You can get the attendence and catches and big hits from a bunch of good sources, and since I talk too much to begin with, it will save time.

Camp tip - Unless you want to watch players go through walk throughs, and stretch, you really don't have to show up to the practice until about 45 after it officially starts.

Once again the highlight (for me at least) was the OL/RB vs DL/LBs right in front of the stands. And...once again I watched Ron Brace closely. Today he seemed less quick off the ball. It was like he was trying to read, or thinking about a technique he'd been taught. It also should be noted that he played DE exclusively and was solid. Never gave ground and rarely had his shoulders turned. Still he was more tentative, and probably for good reason. A lot of sh!t going on in his head right now.

THe next best thing was a short scrimmage between the full O and D. It looked like it was full speed for the first 2 steps. The outside rushes looked to be full speed as well. Springs and Boddin were the first CBs, with Wheatley and Butler backing up. Sanders and Merriweather were the S's. In fact now that I think about it, I didn't notice Chung at all today. At any rate, Springs was much more crisp in his coverage and looked a lot more sure of himself. (what a difference a single practice can make) Boddin continued to look like the the Best coverage CB since Ty Law left (yeah I know its early, and we did have a guy named Samuel a while back, but what makes Samuel great is different than straight CB coverage, but thats discussion for later)

About half way through the scrimmage I decided to try something different. Instead of watching the play and players, I decided to watch BB watching the play and players. Strange huh?. I did it because I continued to marvel at his coaching style, and wanted to see if I could decipher some of the dynamics that goes on BETWEEN the various coaches and BB. I also want to see just how involved BB was with the offense, since we all assume he is the defacto OC.

First of all, its always not easy to find him. He purposely DOESN'T stand out or draw any attention to himself (take note Rex Ryan). He is at his most animated when coaching in individual drills (mostly with the Defense L). By the time the practice moves into group and team work, BB is almost invisible. Often you can see him doing his best Raymond Berry imititation, off to the side taking notes. But then you can see him quitely taking to Brace during the scrimmage that was focusing on the offense. Walking accross the field to point out something to blocker during a KO return drill.

The key thing I want to bring out is that he is constantly coaching indivual players, while completely allowing his assistants to run the various segments of the practices. Even when you could see him make a point, he doesn't seem to step on his assistant's toes. Very inobtrusive. No one could ever point him out and say, "now THAT's the guy in charge".

I don't know if that's interesting to anyone else, but it is to me....and this IS my post. ;)

I hate to say it, but that Edelman kid can grow on you. He certainly manages to a couple of things that stand out in every practice. I still can't see him making the 53 man roster, but if he's with the right club, you can see him becoming an NFL WR/special teamer down the road. The comparisons are just too obvious when Wes Welker is so close

I can't help wondering if there are any repurcussions from the fact that these are 2 a days ONLY for some members of the team, while a favored few are getting the star treatment. I can't help thinking that intellectually I would understand the reasoning for limiting guys like Galloway, Moss, and Bruschi's time, but emotionally, I think I'd be a little pissed, if I was out there twice a day.

OK well thats it for today's look into my off center head. I'm not sure I will make it this afernoon, so I'll look forward to reading other blogs to get my Patriots fix.

Re: Eyes on the Prize.... Saturday morning

I hate to say it, but that Edelman kid can grow on you. He certainly manages to a couple of things that stand out in every practice. I still can't see him making the 53 man roster, but if he's with the right club, you can see him becoming an NFL WR/special teamer down the road. The comparisons are just too obvious when Wes Welker is so close

I still happen to think that team could be the Patriots, especially if he excels on STs.

Patfanken read your thread from yesterday afternoon I responded to your rain story as I pretty much had the same one but 10 seconds after you.

as to todays notes.

I am full agreement on Bodden. I charectorized him as clearly the best of the bunch of new guys. Merriweather looks real good but other than him he seems to be our best DB while I might not go as far to say Ty Law but we are seeing the same thing there.

We are also noticing the same thing about Brace though you seem to have followed him more than me. I have noticed him all over the Dline DE in 3-4 NT in the 3-4 and DT in a 4-3. When you figure Wright can back up all 3 spots and Jarvis has in the past though obviously isnt suited for NT it is pretty amazing that 3 back up DL are as talented and versatile as they are. DL goes 7 deep easy and might be the most talentes position on the team.

Last edited:

I can't help wondering if there are any repurcussions from the fact that these are 2 a days ONLY for some members of the team, while a favored few are getting the star treatment. I can't help thinking that intellectually I would understand the reasoning for limiting guys like Galloway, Moss, and Bruschi's time, but emotionally, I think I'd be a little pissed, if I was out there twice a day.

With BB, it's all about what gives the team the best shot to win on gameday. He recognizes that while younger players need all the reps they can get to master the system and/or techniques required to have a successful career in this league, older vets, with all their wear and tear, benefit from a lesser workload and also need less time to hone their technique. The key of course, is that BB only brings in veterans with the right personality and work ethic. When he surrounds himself with those types of vets, he doesn't need to worry about these things.

I also think BB's approach to veterans is one reason (along with presumed shot to win a ring) why he's been so successful at luring them. If I was a long-term veteran, I wouldn't want to be treated like some 20 year old snot-nosed kid. If my career is winding down, what would be the point in killing myself in practice if all it did was shorten the amount of time that I could be productive in the games.

My favorite was when Tom Brady unloaded an F-BOMB after a fake reverse to Welker went awry and Brady fired a bullet that bounced into the stands

Thanks Ken, love the BB observations, especially from the former trainer perspective.

All organizations develop a hierarchy, and it rarely hurts for new people and people who aren't producing as well to see high producers receiving some recognition and minor perks. It does have to be carefully balanced and I recall stories from past seasons where new players are initially surprised, then impressed when they see superstars like Tommy called down in team meetings for mistakes (see Kevin Faulk's muffed KO this morning). They soon see that BB isn't about the flash, he's trying to make the team better and individuals who can't suck it up and take criticism when they make mistakes wind up elsewhere. I point to the Cutler kerfuffle in Denver as an example of a pampered pet running into a Belichick disciple.

OK well thats it for today's look into my off center head. I'm not sure I will make it this afernoon, so I'll look forward to reading other blogs to get my Patriots fix.

Well, I imagine it depends a lot on how they perform when they're out there.

If they need more practice, do you doubt they'll get it?

great stuff, as always, ken. Thanks!

I love Ken's posts. Fantastic stuff!

With BB, it's all about what gives the team the best shot to win on gameday. He recognizes that while younger players need all the reps they can get to master the system and/or techniques required to have a successful career in this league, older vets, with all their wear and tear, benefit from a lesser workload and also need less time to hone their technique. The key of course, is that BB only brings in veterans with the right personality and work ethic. When he surrounds himself with those types of vets, he doesn't need to worry about these things.

I also think BB's approach to veterans is one reason (along with presumed shot to win a ring) why he's been so successful at luring them. If I was a long-term veteran, I wouldn't want to be treated like some 20 year old snot-nosed kid. If my career is winding down, what would be the point in killing myself in practice if all it did was shorten the amount of time that I could be productive in the games.

Yeah, thats a real good point. I think the Pats will always be a way station for solid vets looking to squeeze an extra year or two out of good careers. Guys willing to take a discount in order to play on a winning squad. And missing couple of 2 a days could be a better selling point than a half million in bonus money. ;)

Thanks Ken, love the BB observations, especially from the former trainer perspective.

All organizations develop a hierarchy, and it rarely hurts for new people and people who aren't producing as well to see high producers receiving some recognition and minor perks. It does have to be carefully balanced and I recall stories from past seasons where new players are initially surprised, then impressed when they see superstars like Tommy called down in team meetings for mistakes (see Kevin Faulk's muffed KO this morning). They soon see that BB isn't about the flash, he's trying to make the team better and individuals who can't suck it up and take criticism when they make mistakes wind up elsewhere. I point to the Cutler kerfuffle in Denver as an example of a pampered pet running into a Belichick disciple.

Good observation on the meeting "equality". Pyper made another good point as to why players would understand why some guys are doing one a days instead of 2 a days. Your comment makes me think back to the NFL films clip of BB dressing down the offense on the sidelines telling them "to just shut up and 'do their jobs'...and that goes for you too Brady".

So I guess you can classify the Pats not as a DEMcracy, but a MERITcracy. And why being "coachable" is so high on the FO's list of traits when scouting a player.

BTW. Box...from the former TRAINER perspective???????

Last edited:

Good observation on the meeting "equality". Pyper made another good point as to why players would understand why some guys are doing one a days instead of 2 a days. Your comment makes me think back to the NFL films clip of BB dressing down the offense on the sidelines telling them "to just shut up and 'do their jobs'...and that goes for you too Brady".

So I guess you can classify the Pats not as a DEMcracy, but a MERITcracy. And why being "coachable" is so high on the FO's list of traits when scouting a player.

BTW. Box...from the former TRAINER perspective???????
20 years military training young guys and gals in various jobs, not football type trainer - though I can apply a mean ice pack. ;)

love hearing that brace is quite capable of playing all positions on the line..comforting

love hearing that brace is quite capable of playing all positions on the line..comforting

Capable is still yet to be seen but he has been practicing all across the line.

o he is going to be capable

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey