PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Exploring Goodell's Motive?

JJC

I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I think it is worthwhile to explore Goodell's potential motive for allowing this circus to proceed. All based in conjecture, since I'm just a guy sitting in a snowstorm with no special knowledge on the subject. What is more likely?
  1. Misfeasance He's a corporate tool with a process focus instead of a results focus and is unable to lead the organization. The office of the NFL therefore has no ability to discriminate between minutiae and importance. They follow processes blindly and you get horrible results that fly in the face of common sense (see Ray Rice, Josh Gordon, Adrian Peterson, DeflateGate for this year alone).
  2. Malfeasance: He's being driven by some other owners to take down the league's most successful franchise in an effort to "restore balance" and give the other owners a chance to make a buck on playoff appearances. Perhaps his dislike of Belichick drove this and he overreached and impacted Brady and Kraft - two people he thought could survive it.
  3. Self Preservation: After the PR nightmares streamed through this season and it became clear that his $40M/yr gravy train was in jeopardy, Goodell decided to strike back. Knowing the Kraft is one of the most influential owners (and therefore deciders of his future), Goodell decided to strike at Kraft in an effort to be able to claim his ultimate firing was personally motivated as payback, not justifiable based on poor performance.
As much as I disliked Dukakis in his day, I agree with him when he says "A fish stinks from the head." I think it's time for a counter offensive and when the Patriots are exonerated, a full court press to remove Goodell from his position is necessary.

Good food for thought. The idea that R. Stokoe Goodell is willing to risk alienating Kraft smacks of desperation, so he probably figures his goose is close to being cooked. This has the makings of an unprecedented internal power struggle.

Last edited:
Why do you think Godell is the driving force behind this. I find it much more likely that Keisel (?) is behind it. If Keisel says to Goddel that there has been complaints about under inflated balls, What should Godell do, ignore it? Do you think that knew there was going to be so many leaks. The guy was presented with a situation where one team thought there was something going on. He did his job.

Truthfully, as much as I hate Goodell, they had to investigate if they really believed thePatriots were cheating. The part that is pissing me off and I guess the rest of us off is the media leaks. How hard could it be to find out who it is.

As much as I detest Goodell, I'm not sure I smell his stench on this one. My gut is telling me this is more likely disgruntled individuals that the Patriots keep crushing, time and time again.

You know, like the Jets.

I just think Goodell had to take the accusation seriously in order to look remotely competent.

nO9uSC.gif

As much as I detest Goodell, I'm not sure I smell his stench on this one. My gut is telling me this is more likely disgruntled individuals that the Patriots keep crushing, time and time again.

You know, like the Jets.

I just think Goodell had to take the accusation seriously in order to look remotely competent.

Think for a minute, what has Joker taught us?

I think Goodell and his lieutenants really thought they had the Pats.. so they have been releasing snippets of information at different times since we won the AFC Championship. The information let the gates of vitriol gush and the Pats were tried in the media, and found guilty. Much of the sports broadcast folks followed along...

Once he went down this path almost impossible to turn back, as he has been heavily criticized in the past for his ineptitude..

So what does he do, he commissions another investigation, in the hopes of finding something, anything... so if they find nothing, it is the investigators fault..

He was seduced by Kensil, Irsay and probably a few other major players.. he did not expect the Pats to fight back, he thought he would have another "spygate" situation on his hands, and the Pats would just accept the consequence. For Kraft to have come out the way he did yesterday, this poker game just raised the stakes exponentially.. .he does not want a powerful owner to be against him and his kangaroo court.

INOW he f..ed this think up royally, and should know better than to try to do a "sting" of these really smart people..

The NFL under Goodells guidance wants this to be an issue for the Patriots all week leading up to the game. BB and Brady tried to leave Goldwatergate back in Foxboro by holding news conferences and fielding questions. The NFL stayed pretty much silent.

No sooner did the Pats land on the ground in Phoenix, a new leak about the NE ball boy is released by the NFL with just enough information to start a new wildfire at the Super Bowl. Kraft has fired back calling the leagues bluff demanding apologies if the NFL has no case against NE.

The leaks will continue. Goodell does not want NE to win this game. He will look real bad if that happens

This is Mike Pereria early last week. It shows the league mentality and how butt hurt they are about the ineligible formations the Patriots are using.

"This is cheating. And this is something the league doesn't want. It's bad enough that rules get taken advantage of and you kind of work against the intent of the rule. But this is cheating. And it is something the league will deal with harshly."

I forgot to add. He didn't come up with this on his own. This is how they ALL feel. He is in the loop.

Last edited:
Why do you think Godell is the driving force behind this. I find it much more likely that Keisel (?) is behind it. If Keisel says to Goddel that there has been complaints about under inflated balls, What should Godell do, ignore it? Do you think that knew there was going to be so many leaks. The guy was presented with a situation where one team thought there was something going on. He did his job.
What Goodell should do about complaints is not ignore them, but he should demand proof. If it can't be provided, he should then tell the whiners to screw off. There have been two constants since this BS began: unsubstantiated leaks and lack of solid proof. This league and its czar are a joke.

NFL just announced a rules change effective immediately. JJ Watt, Calvin Johnson and Luke Kuechly have been traded to Seattle and will be active this Sunday.

This is Mike Pereria early last week. It shows the league mentality and how butt hurt they are about the ineligible formations the Patriots are using.

"This is cheating. And this is something the league doesn't want. It's bad enough that rules get taken advantage of and you kind of work against the intent of the rule. But this is cheating. And it is something the league will deal with harshly."

I forgot to add. He didn't come up with this on his own. This is how they ALL feel. He is in the loop.

Mike Pereria will always protect and defend his old friends.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back