PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Explaining the QB Position to a complete Novice

Status
Not open for further replies.

NovaScotiaPatsFan

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Hey all, I know a lot of you guys are a lot more in to the actual mechanics of the game than I am, and I'd like to learn a little bit, in my efforts to become a more savvy fan. The first thing I'm interested in is the QB position.

I was watching something on one of the Sunday shows where they were mentioning the height of Drew Brees and they were talking about how QB's change protection based on who the "Mike" is and i was wondering if someone could explain that to me, what is the "Mike" and how does a QB change protection based on knowing (or thinking they know) who he is?

Hey all, I know a lot of you guys are a lot more in to the actual mechanics of the game than I am, and I'd like to learn a little bit, in my efforts to become a more savvy fan. The first thing I'm interested in is the QB position.

I was watching something on one of the Sunday shows where they were mentioning the height of Drew Brees and they were talking about how QB's change protection based on who the "Mike" is and i was wondering if someone could explain that to me, what is the "Mike" and how does a QB change protection based on knowing (or thinking they know) who he is?

The mike is the middle linebacker who sets up the defensive alignment. He's the equivalent of the qb on defense. In the 3-4 defense the mike can switch from weak side to strong side of the offense ( strong side is the side with the tight end next to the tackle). The mike is usually the best, most experienced middle lb on the roster. It's important for the center and guards to know where he is lined up, since they can't always see past the defensive lineman in front of them.

I'm not an expert, but I've understood it this way:

The "mike" is the middle linebacker on the play, and the QB identifies him to his offensive line in order to set up the blocking scheme based on the MLB's positioning and his relation to the other defenders who may or may not be rushing the passer. The OL is taught to block from the inside out, so knowing who the mike is lets each O-lineman know who their blocking responsibility is.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but that's the way I've always understood it.

The "Mike" LB is the Middle LB.

It is important to identify the "Mike" on passing plays because the offensive line knows who to block due to most protection being based off who the middle linebacker is. Of lesser value, the "Mike" covers the second back out the backfield.

It is also important to call it on running plays so the defense wont know which type of play you are running. If you only called out the "Mike" on passing plays, then you would be too obvious! :D

To your other point, Brees is 6'0". Prototypical NFL QB's are 6'4" ish. The height differential generally allows them to see the field better over opposing Dlinemen who tend to be behemouths at this level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes