PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Explain to me like I'm a Jets fan why the Rams would trade up

rabidfireweasel

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
This is more Nfl draft talk than specific NE draft talk; however, this is my favorite forum on the boards, so here goes:

I have seen many, many mocks where the Rams trade up, usually with the Browns. I can't wrap my brain around it. Trading up to me makes zero sense for the Rams. hey had an opportunity to draft an elite player at 1.2 last year and moved back. I see more of the same here.

One tenet that most coaches/GM's have is that you want to first try to win your division, that go for a playoff bye. The Rams happen to be in one of the hardest divisions that they could be in; they have to face the 49ers and the Seahawks twice a year. I would argue that they need to add a lot of talent all over both sides of the ball to compete with those teams. Additionally, I would suggest that moving up starts the clock ticking faster on Jeff Fisher's need for results. Standing pat, or trading back in this draft allows him to take the position that " he is continuing, as he did last year, to build an overall stronger roster".

So, what am I missing? I am leaving it to learned minds of the draft forum to help me understand this.

The Rams offensive line isn't very good. They have a young, franchise(they think..I'm not sure) qb whom they are trying to build around. The best thing you can get a kid like that is a LT who can keep him healthy and upright. There are two really good LT prospects. Luke Joeckel from Texas A&M whom most people have going 1-4. Eric Fisher is shooting up draft boards and likely won't make it past Arizona picking at 7. If the Rams want an elite OL, they won't get one at 16. They can get their T at 6. There is also a great G prospect Chance Womack from Bama. He won't last until 16 either. They have drafted some wr's to put around him Quick and Givens. Hope to keep Amendola.

I buy the elite tackle argument. I think they are a lot more than a tackle away. I think you simply need a competent to good left tackle to succeed. However, that is a fair, reasonable, Jets fan understandable explanation.

I am not sure about your argument regarding Womack. It it very unusual, even for an elite pro- bowl lock guard to go higher than 16. DeCastro, Watkins and Iupati all were top prospects that went after 16. They almost always fall.

You're a Jets fan. It can't be explained to you. You wouldn't understand.

There I explained it to you

I dunno... i would even look at trading into the early 20's again if i am the Rams and look to really bolster that OL/TE.

Guys to Target in that range would be:

Chance Warmack, Jonathan Cooper, Zach Ertz.

It's also a spot thats not bad for one of the elite prospect that slip.

I definitely wouldn't trade up if i were them.

They almost certainly won't:

1. Rodger Saffold is actually a very good LT. Their problems are at OG and RT.

2. Jeff Fisher has never drafted a 1st round OT I believe so I can't see him trading up in the first for one.

3. The Rams are really making an effort to accumulate as much talent as possible. Two picks are better than one for that.

4. It's just too convenient a trade for fans mocking. Who wouldn't want two first rounders rather than one?

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back